Travel Warning for Mexico

blackfoot

And 31 people were gunned-down in Chicago in July. So, following your logic ... the millions of tourists who visit Chicago each year should be warned about the violence and they should visit elsewhere.

Travelers should visit places they're confident in. No amount of correction of distortions about Mexican ports of call will convince people who've made up their minds otherwise. Just remember that most major USA cities should be deleted from your list of possibilities. Wherever you trave - have fun!

And 31 people were gunned-down in Chicago in July. So, following your logic ... the millions of tourists who visit Chicago each year should be warned about the violence and they should visit elsewhere.

Travelers should visit places they're confident in. No amount of correction of distortions about Mexican ports of call will convince people who've made up their minds otherwise. Just remember that most major USA cities should be deleted from your list of possibilities. Wherever you trave - have fun!

I agree and should advise anyone travelling to Vancover BC to check out their stats on murders......I am betting Vancouver stats are higher then PV, Cabo and Mazatlan put together. Heck I am going to be in Surrey tomorrow night and I am not leaving my hotel room after dark, something I always do in PV

>>>>>How about, "Twenty people were wounded, including two whose legs had to be amputated, in an explosion early Thursday morning in a bar in the Mexican Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta..."? (8/27/10) <<<<<

How about checking your facts and realizing it was not anywhere near any tourist, snowbird or Gringo bar....?????. As sad as it was, it was a few stupid drunk people doing something beyond stupid.

Since I don't have anything to do with drugs nor do I know anyone who does, nor do I hang out in shady bars with a questionable clientile (found anywhere in any city) I am still betting I am pretty safe in any of the Mexican ports I might cruise into.

As for the naysayers ...well it means more beach, air and cruise space for the rest of us ...Now someone please pass me a Mojito from Joe Jack's Fish Shack and let's put this topic to rest :D

How about' date=' "Twenty people were wounded, including two whose legs had to be amputated, in an explosion early Thursday morning in a bar in the [u']Mexican Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta[/u]..."? (8/27/10)

Or, "In April, a shootout on the main tourist strip in Acapulco left six people dead, including a mother and her 8-year-old daughter. In June 2009, a firefight between cartel gunmen and the military left 16 people dead." (8/5/10)

Or, "Acapulco is located in Guerrero state which is right in the middle of a major drug trafficking artery. Drug Cartel’s use the route to push cocaine from South America up to the United States. Once a chosen destination for many, Acapulco and other resort towns in Mexico have been sullied by continued drug cartel violence; headless bodies and stray bullets are not what people sign up for when they decide to travel to our southern neighbor." (5/8/10)

This is almost unprecedented in Mexican tourist towns, but now it is there and apparently spreading. Frankly, IMHO, the cruise lines need to consider their visits to Mexican ports. I can recall how they hectored Cozumel and the Mayan Riviera after a devastating hurricane, threatening not to return if they didn't quickly restore themselves as destinations. Perhaps it's time to do the same regarding violence. I see a few macho guys are posting here. I've lived along the border, regularly crossing and visiting when such current murder-holes as Juarez and Nogales were merely considered "rough." Spent a fair amount of time roaming Sonora, too. Wouldn't these days. The yahoos in Tacoma aren't spraying AKs on the streets, nor dropping frag grenades "accidentally" in bars. American and Canadian bad guys don't hold a candle to the Mexicans, who'll lop heads and skin faces. I'll be in Acapulco soon, and for the first time ever, I may stay on the ship at a port.

Remember this???:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/24/governor-offers-rewards-unsolved-killings/

and

The San Ysidro McDonald's massacre was a killing spree that occurred on July 18, 1984, in a McDonald's restaurant in the San Ysidro section of San Diego, California. The shootings resulted in 22 deaths (including the perpetrator James Oliver Huberty) and the injuries of 19 others.

or

http://www.komonews.com/news/99101284.html

Just a few (of the many more) problems I remember...

That bar in PV had a bad reputation(there certainly are bars in Europe and USA with bad reputations too). Certainly no tourists would visit that place.

Yesterday a man entered a house in Lake Havasu, AZ (a tourist town where the original London Bridge is erected) shot 6 people, 5 died, then went to California and killed himself. When will a travel warning be issued for Arizona and California?

Let's see, how many cruise ships visit Mexico each month x the number of passengers on each = how many people have visited Mexico with the only problems reported are sun burn, paying too much for fake jewelry and getting scammed on a taxi ride.

For the poster from Baltimore that is concerned about safety in Mexican port cities.

Violent Crimes per 100,000 inhabitants:

Baltimore: 1,588

Puerto Vallarta: 205

It is true that Juarez, nearly 1100 miles from Puerto Vallarta (Henderson NV is 400 miles closer), is in bad shape right now. However, Juarez is nowhere near any tourist area - about 1000 miles from the nearest one. That is like saying that because Baltimore is a dangerous city, I shouldn't take the kids to Disneyworld in Orlando.

Every city has incidents from time to time - including those of every poster on this forum. Just because Fox News makes every one in Mexico into a week long story doesn't make it any worse than the same things going on all through the USA. The events in and around the tourist towns in Mexico are absurdly few and far between, and when they happen, they are almost always far outside of town in the rural areas, or in the shady parts of town that every city has, but no tourists ever visit.

Just as in the US, there are some places you go and some places you don't go in every city. Certainly as a tourist you might not consider chilling out in the ganglands of South Central LA or Compton, but you probably wouldn't bat an eye about shopping on Rodeo Drive or walking the walk of fame on Hollywood Blvd, nor should you. Likewise, it is doubtful you'd want to miss out on the great monuments and museums of Washington DC because you heard correctly that the mean streets of Washington are some of the most violent in the entire USA. Just stick to the tourist areas and don't do drugs and you will almost assuredly have a safe and enjoyable vacation.

22 Million tourists from the USA to Mexico every year. How many of those have you heard of that have had a problem?

I live in Tucson, and have for 32 years. I WILL NOT go to Mexico, though it is 1 hour from my house. The other day they killed 72 people....migrants trying to make it across the border....they refused to work for the drug cartel,(according to the one survivor) so they killed them all..women included. Then...the police chief and assistant working on the case have been missing for a week...their bodies will probably be found (like the 4 bodies found today beheaded and hanging from a bridge)..at some time in the future..I am NOT nor have NEVER been involved in drugs..but a lot of innocent people are getting caught up in this. There are innocent people caught in the crossfire....it does not matter who you are, the drug cartels do not care. If you are in the way, they will kill you. I have been on a Mexico cruise every year for probably 20 years...will not go again. You can say that I am overreacting, but I live here. My coworker had to take her mom to a funeral in Agua Prieta on Thurs...and she was so nervous (she is Hispanic and her mom's friend died)...it is NOT PRETTY down here...and don't think that you are safe because you are on a cruise ship...I certainly don't...and why do you think the guards in Mexico are carrying machine guns???

Today, they killed 8 people at a bar in Cancun...supposedly "off the tourist area"....6 employees and 2 customers..it was late at night and it was a titty bar....but sometimes tourists go to those bars, don't they? The latest I heard was that the owners had not paid off the drug cartel for protection so they were retaliating.

If you don't mind that guys are walking around with grenades in their pockets, and you're confident such low lifes won't cross your path as you walk around town with your family, I say go for it. If denial or rationalization makes one feel safer, by all means go on denying and/or rationalizing - after all, what are the odds? By the same token, these tragedies strike real "average people", none of whom deliberately put themselves in mortal danger, whether sitting on a porch in Chicago, enjoying a Big Mac at San Ysidro, or lounging in a tourist hotel lobby in Acapulco. Guess that was just their tough luck - what were the odds? Violent crime statistics quickly become meaningless when there's innocent blood on the pavement. Here's hoping everyone is safe and has a wonderful time in Mexico, and that this gang violence comes to an end soon.

Tucson is in the border region, where the main violence is taking place. Tucson is much more dangerous at the moment that any of the Mexican port towns, as it is in this region. You are right to take precautions and not visit nearby Nogales, the border regions have some bad things going on right now. In fact, Canada and Australia warn their citizens about visiting Arizona like the US is warning about Mexico.

However, Puerto Vallarta is further from Nogales than Salt Lake City is. I don't think that people are shivering in their boots about visiting Salt Lake City because of the violence that exists along the border.

The isolated incident in Cancun you mention was at a strip club in a low-income part of town with a rough reputation, located far from the tourist areas. Same with the bar in Puerto Vallarta. There is no evidence to suggest it had anything to do with not paying off anyone. Keep in mind that Cancun is a city of 500,000 people (about the size of Tucson), and like Tucson, bad things do go down once in a while in the bad parts of town. That has no bearing on the tourist areas of Cancun which are very safe.

Just as we should not paint the whole USA as a dangerous place because some areas are bad, we should not paint Mexico either. Like the USA, there are many very safe places to visit, as the 22 million visitors to Mexico each year and 1 million expats can attest to. Like the USA, it is a huge country with many huge cities and some areas are safer than others. Go to the safe places and have fun, and skip the bad parts of town, no matter if you're in the USA or Mexico. Despite the recent headlines, Mexico's overall homicide rate has decreased by 30% in the past decade.

One thing I think is funny is that a lot of people that normally visit Mexico are now reportedly going to Jamaica for vacation instead. Jamaica has nearly four times the homicide rate and much more gang violence than Mexico, as do the popular tourist destinations of Honduras, South Africa, Brazil, Belize, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Ecuador and Russia. Cities like New Orleans and St. Louis have higher homicide rates than such infamous border towns as Tijuana and Nogales.

Ine, you're right, Tucson is no longer the safe town it was when I moved here 32 years ago. I stay in my part of town, don't go where the gang bangers are and the drug dealers, but I no longer feel as safe as I did years ago.

I still won't be going to Mexico, even staying in the tourist areas, because I don't feel safe there.

Johann & Sandra, msnbc reported that the owners of the bar that was firebombed refused to pay protection to the drug cartel and that was the motive for the bombing.

Off to work...

Ine, you're right, Tucson is no longer the safe town it was when I moved here 32 years ago. I stay in my part of town, don't go where the gang bangers are and the drug dealers, but I no longer feel as safe as I did years ago.

I still won't be going to Mexico, even staying in the tourist areas, because I don't feel safe there.

Johann & Sandra, msnbc reported that the owners of the bar that was firebombed refused to pay protection to the drug cartel and that was the motive for the bombing.

Off to work...

And I can tell you that I have lived in Mexico for over five years, travel thru many of the border towns including Tjuana many times a year and have yet to experience anything but friendly, warm, loving family people. Sure they have bad parts of town, just like almost every American city, you just don't go there.

Last week in Rosarito a Policia truck pulled up beside my vehicle, leaned over and said "It is illegal to make a U-turn back where you just did", I said sorry, I didn't see the sign", he said "OK, drive more carefully" and drove off. Wow, to hear the stories in the news he might just have shot me with a machine gun.

First, for anyone flying to Mexico. . . . Mexicana Airlines ceased operations, until further notice, on August 27th.

We vacation in Mexico every other year or so. It is important to pay attention to government travel warnings. Included in a recent alert was this (note: Puerto Vallara is in Jalisco): "Firefights have also occurred in Nayarit, Jalisco and Colima. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area.

The only reason I posted this and highlighted the once sentence is for those of you who compare crime rates in the U.S. with anywhere else in the world. While there is certainly crime almost everywhere, when you are out of the country, who is going to help you? Yes -- there are police, ambulances, hospitals, doctors. . . . but, can you communicate with them? Will they help you or the person next to you who handed them a $100 bill (note: this isn't a criticism -- bribery is custom in many countries)

Just some food for thought.

"

First, for anyone flying to Mexico. . . . Mexicana Airlines ceased operations, until further notice, on August 27th.

just so everyone knows...they went bankrupt and ceased operations....

We vacation in Mexico every other year or so. It is important to pay attention to government travel warnings. Included in a recent alert was this (note: Puerto Vallara is in Jalisco): "Firefights have also occurred in Nayarit, Jalisco and Colima. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area.

The only reason I posted this and highlighted the once sentence is for those of you who compare crime rates in the U.S. with anywhere else in the world. While there is certainly crime almost everywhere, when you are out of the country, who is going to help you? Yes -- there are police, ambulances, hospitals, doctors. . . . but, can you communicate with them? Will they help you or the person next to you who handed them a $100 bill (note: this isn't a criticism -- bribery is custom in many countries)

"

so people know

This is a bit off-topic but I want to give a complement to the Cruise Critic mods (and editor) for even alllowing this topic on the board :). It certainly is a current topic that is an issue for any traveler. I would also add that on Tripadvisor (I mention them because they are not a cruise site) the editors have been carefully censoring any discussion about violence in Mexico. I guess they figure its better for travelers to be ignorant.

Hank

"

And how many US airlines have ceased operations in the past? I can name quite a few.

If you are afraid for language-barriers indeed stay in the USA. Everybody can get ill in a foreign country. If you travel to The Netherlands, how is your dutch? If you go to France, how is your french? I know lots of european people that speaks just a little english but travel worldwide incl. the USA.

Bribe even exists in your and my country.

Hi! This is my first post here.

We are thinking of booking our first cruise to the Mexican riviera this winter. I'm not too worried about the safety issue - but is there any concern of cruise ships not going to these ports, if things worsen? If shore excursions are canceled will it be sea days on all the days?

Thanks a bunch!

And how many US airlines have ceased operations in the past? I can name quite a few.

If you are afraid for language-barriers indeed stay in the USA. Everybody can get ill in a foreign country. If you travel to The Netherlands, how is your dutch? If you go to France, how is your french? I know lots of european people that speaks just a little english but travel worldwide incl. the USA.

Bribe even exists in your and my country.

Think you totally misunderstood my post. It had nothing to do with general language barriers around the world. We have traveled to approximately 50 countries and have never had an issue with languages or cultures. I would not, however, go to an area that has travel advisories without taking everything (including language) into consideration. I'm sorry you became upset about just about everything I said. . . . I was simply sharing information.

In terms of Mexicana. . . . if it had been Air France, I would have posted it on the U.S. and France boards -- just in case someone was booked to go on that airline. And, yes, the U.S. has probably had more airlines go out of business than anyone. Just don't know how that alert could be upsetting.:confused:

As for bribes -- as I stated, it is a way of life in some countries -- just as bargaining for merchandise is. That is not the case in the U.S. Bribes in this country can get you a nice long jail term (as evidenced by some high profile people that have been convicted of bribery).

Abroo: Some cruise lines have altered a few of their itineraries and include some ports in the U.S. instead of Mexico. They are doing this on a limited basis as we all hope that cruise lines will continue to make stops in Mexico. I would check with the cruise line or travel agent every month or so to make sure your itinerary has not changed. Also, here is a link to the U.S. Department of State (where I read the information about Mexicana, etc.) There is a link within the site for security alerts. Hope this helps. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5138.html

Abroo: Some cruise lines have altered a few of their itineraries and include some ports in the U.S. instead of Mexico. They are doing this on a limited basis as we all hope that cruise lines will continue to make stops in Mexico.

I don't think any of the cruise lines have changed itineraries because of warnings or fears of violence. I haven't seen that in recent years - as far as Mexico is concerned. I do know one of the lines is dropping Zihuatanejo and Acapulco from shorter trips - and they've said they will save $50,000 per cruise by making the change. I think the reason has been economic, not out of concern for the safety of passengers. One is more likely to be diverted because of weather conditions than anything else - or so it seems to me. Mexico is the No. 1 cruise destination in the world, if I've remembered the statistics correctly. So I don't think that status is about to change any time soon. Safe journey's everyone!

if you are worried about all the violence in Mexico...dont go...dont book a cruise that stops there-pretty simple!

i am going to the MR (not Acapulco) did stop there last December--had some reservations but took a ships tour and felt perfectly fine--

will be going to Cabo, Maz and PV and havent really given much thought about any violence there, basically i just keep thinking so glad we didnt move to El Paso because we almost did:eek:--when i think of Mexico thats what i think of!

Think you totally misunderstood my post. It had nothing to do with general language barriers around the world. We have traveled to approximately 50 countries and have never had an issue with languages or cultures. I would not, however, go to an area that has travel advisories without taking everything (including language) into consideration. I'm sorry you became upset about just about everything I said. . . . I was simply sharing information.

In terms of Mexicana. . . . if it had been Air France, I would have posted it on the U.S. and France boards -- just in case someone was booked to go on that airline. And, yes, the U.S. has probably had more airlines go out of business than anyone. Just don't know how that alert could be upsetting.:confused:

As for bribes -- as I stated, it is a way of life in some countries -- just as bargaining for merchandise is. That is not the case in the U.S. Bribes in this country can get you a nice long jail term (as evidenced by some high profile people that have been convicted of bribery).

Abroo: Some cruise lines have altered a few of their itineraries and include some ports in the U.S. instead of Mexico. They are doing this on a limited basis as we all hope that cruise lines will continue to make stops in Mexico. I would check with the cruise line or travel agent every month or so to make sure your itinerary has not changed. Also, here is a link to the U.S. Department of State (where I read the information about Mexicana, etc.) There is a link within the site for security alerts. Hope this helps. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5138.html

It looks like I misunderstood some parts of your posting. It is disturbing that many people donot realise Mexico is a large country and not every city/town is dangerous. It is like if something happens in Amsterdam, that doesnotmean Madrid (Spain) is dangerous. Or in US if something happens in Seattle, that doesnot mean San Francisco is dangerous....

Bribing is also not allowed in The Netherlands, but fact is it happened in the past and will happen again in the future. (Like in any country, there always are "weak: persons.)

Some ships indeed donot sail the MR anymore, but as far as I understand because fares were too low and they could make more money on different itinaries.

The Dallas newspaper (apart from the link I gave in The Economist) just published another interesting article about Mexico:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/sblow/stories/DN-blow_02met.ART.West.Edition1.355d6c7.html

Most mexicans are very friendly and welcoming tourists.

The commentaries appearing in both the Economist and the Dallas paper (which were linked earlier) are, IMO, 'Chamber of Commerce' types of opinion pieces that ignore the facts of the situation and present unreal responses from Mexicans. Self-serving dribble. I'd post a dozen links that would present contrary views - but what's the point in that? People will decide for themselves whether or not they want to take a cruise that stops in some of the port cities they're most concerned about.

About Mexicans and my interactions with them when I travel there and when I lived there previously: they're no better, no worse than people I've met any other place I've traveled, nor much different than the people I see and associate with in Chicago where we have millions of tourists each year. Some are good, some are bad. Some are friendly, some are not. Some are helpful, some are not. People are people. You treat someone with respect and respect is returned.

Archived