Okay first cruise under my belt where should we go next?

jwoap

Hi all -

We loved our cruise with NCL so much we are itching to book again.

Any suggestions on great cruises for two old farts and a very well behaved almost 10 year old?

We would enjoy nice weather so we can have some real pool days. Alaska was just way too cold to swim so we did other fun stuff.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

what time of the year do you want to go?

book a Mexican Riviera cruise--i see you are on the West Coast....NCL is pulling out after the 2011 season...that will be MISSED...we always knew a MR cruise was within 90 minutes or so of us flying, we are doing one last cruise to the MR in February on the STAR!!

or on the other coast you have E/W/S Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda/Panama Canal

take your pick!!

GLAD you liked your NCL cruise enough to go again!!!

Our first cruise on NCL (our second cruise ever!) was from NYC to the Caribbean and we really enjoyed the 2 full sea days there and back. Enjoyed it so much we would certainly do it all again........itineraries permitting!

Since you're on the left coast I second the MR recommendation. Cruisin' can be a lot more enjoyable if you can forgo the flying fiasco on the ends.

Or - there is Hawaii - lots and lots of pool days there.

Or - in the fall NCL is returning to New Orleans and that's not as bad a flight as to MIA and you could explore the plantations in New Orleans which is usually enjoyable if your child is interested in history. There's also a nice zoo and aquarium.

And of course there are endless "far away places, with strange sounding names" All waiting for you to discover by cruise.

Hi all -

Any suggestions on great cruises for two old farts and a very well behaved almost 10 year old?

We would enjoy nice weather so we can have some real pool days. Alaska was just way too cold to swim so we did other fun stuff.

How soon would you like to leave? Why not come and join us on a 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Dawn out of Miami with stops in Samana DR, Tortola, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts. Check out the roll call threads (Norwegian Dawn 10-22) . It's a pretty active group and I'm sure we'll make lots of friends. If this is too soon we're also planning another cruise in December after the Marathon (www.marathonpb.com), we chair a committee. The December cruise always acts as a cleanse for everything that happenned in 2010 and start clean for 2011.

If you can swing the MR before the Star leaves I would go that way.

If not and you want to stay with NCL it will be the Caribbean. Lot's of ports to choose from but you'll have a longer flight. We love sailing the NCL Spirit out of New Orleans. Great itinerary and a day before and after in the Big Easy suits us fine. (Next January will be our 4th time for that.:D)

Charlie

I have been cruising since 1980(dang I am old) lol, 6 years I statrted doing the mediterrean, I am so glad. If you can't cruise often but want one amazing place with history culture excitemnt try these then you can do the beaches, although Mexcio is great you are close to there. It depends on how much you want to spend. I always go in Oct cheaper and off season, Good luck and congrats on your first of many cruises:D

Isn't it fun to be hooked on cruising?!

We live in Seattle so to cruise to AK is perfect for us. And because my parents love to go too, and we look out for them, we don't do airports. So until Mom & Dad are no longer able to go, we will cruise to AK again and again. (6th time coming up in just 6 days from now.)

But....after that, when it is just DH and I, my hope is to cruise out of New York up through the New England States and into N.E. Canada. Especially in the fall. However, that doesn't exactly suit the criteria you were mentioning where you wanted more warm weather and possible pool time.

I say, make a deal with your son and say that you'll go to a hotel where he can swim to his hearts content, and then when it comes time to cruise, don't plan on using a pool, but if you get to, then it's a bonus!:)

I second or third some off the other suggestions, that is since you are already there (west coast), do the MR out of San Pedro. I haven't checked prices lately, but was one of the less expensive cruises. Hurry befoe NCL pull out of that route. Also, when it returns, the Spirit out of New Orleans.

Hi all -

I would say, the western Caribbean is the best choice. You will have nice weather, good swimming and great snorkeling. Someone suggested the Mex Riv, of all the cruises we have done (25 plus) this was our least favorite and we tried 3 times. You may want to look into sailing out of New Orleans.

Nita

I would say the Mexican Riviera on the Star before she no longer sails that route. We have been twice on her and loved it. The second time we even took MIL. I think April 2011 will be the last sailings. Our first cruise was the Bahamas out of NY. Long plane flight but wonderful cruise.

Joyce

Hi all -

Just an FYI - last week's Alaska cruise had the smoothest sailing I've ever experienced. You may be in for a surprise doing any other route (i.e. sometimes 20 ft. + waves in the Caribbean - rough waters along the Pacific coast).

Since you are on the west coast you might want to try the Pearl out of Los Angeles to Miami. You will have to deal with flying back from Miami, but then it's only one long flight instead of two. Or you could do b2b cruises and sail the Pearl from Vancouver to Los Angeles then Los Angeles to Miami. You get the Mexican Riviera, West Coast stops, and you get to traverse the Panama Canal (which your 2 guys should love!) Plus, if you liked the Star you will love the Pearl. We have sailed on both (the Pearl was our 1st ever cruise)(both to Alaska), and while we enoyed the Star, the Pearl is our favorite.

We just did the Gem's 14 day Med cruise of Croatia, Greece and Turkey. It was super. Next March we are doing the Jade's 9 day cruise out of Barcelona:

Fri 18-Mar 07:00pm SHIP DEPARTS BARCELONA, SPAIN

Sat 19-Mar AT SEA

Sun 20-Mar 08:00am Sun 20-Mar 05:00 pm CASABLANCA, MOROCCO

Mon 21-Mar 08:00am Mon 21-Mar 05:00 pm AGADIR, MOROCCO

Tue 22-Mar 01:00pm Tue 22-Mar 07:30 pm LAS PALMAS, GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN

Wed 23-Mar 01:00pm Wed 23-Mar 06:00 pm FUNCHAL, PORTUGAL

Thu 24-Mar AT SEA

Fri 25-Mar 08:00am Fri 25-Mar 07:00 pm MALAGA (GRANADA), SPAIN

Sat 26-Mar AT SEA

Sun 27-Mar 05:00am SHIP ARRIVES AT BARCELONA, SPAIN

Prices are excellent. Balcony for $1100 per person, and airfares to Barcelona are about $750 from JAX.

Sorry, but Mexico is just too violent right now.

Greek Isles....lots of warm and lots of swimming!

Summer cruises in the Baltic think July August.

Mediterranean

Something that goes to St. Lucia, Belize

Try something with sea days, they are great for just relaxing and not hurrying around trying to see stuff on land.

(quite frankly they're all good....no matter where you go!)

I did my first cruise this summer also. As you we loved it. I, and 3 great friends did Alaska. Well we are doing Miami to LA. thru the Panama Canal. I think this time we are doing it to enjoy the boat a little more enjoy land. That is my suggestion.

I agree with the Mexican Riviera.

We had so much fun in March that DW and I are flying down to Cabo next week, just to spend a week on the beach.

I hate to fly, but the POA cruise in Hawaii is great, too.

First choice? Do the MR on the Star, while you can, then POA.

It's addicting, isn't it?

How soon would you like to leave? Why not come and join us on a 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Dawn out of Miami with stops in Samana DR, Tortola, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts. Check out the roll call threads (Norwegian Dawn 10-22) . It's a pretty active group and I'm sure we'll make lots of friends. If this is too soon we're also planning another cruise in December after the Marathon (www.marathonpb.com), we chair a committee. The December cruise always acts as a cleanse for everything that happenned in 2010 and start clean for 2011.

We are doing this itinerary for Thanksgiving. We have been to Tortola and Antigua before and loved it! I would definitely recommend anything stopping in: San Juan, Bahamas, Tortola, Barbados.:D

Archived