Bags at Doge's palace

city

I didn't receive any replies on the port board so I though I'd try this board. Can anyone answer this question who has recently visited the palace in Venice.

What did you do if you had a camera and a camera bag..large sized because of telephoto lenses.... Were you allowed to carry them with you or did they have to be checked. If you had to check them what was your level of comfort with their security?

thanks for your input..

I went a little over two months ago and small bags were fine but rucksacks were not.

I was carrying a light drawstring bag and that was no problem. I was quite surprised because I was under the impression all bags had to be checked. They are really just looking for any rucksacks.

We visited the Palace during the GEM cruise in July. We were not carrying a bag to check. We had cameras that fit into our pockets, no problem, except that you cannot take photos in the palace.

There is a place to check bags, in fact Rick Steves advises using the bag check as a way to avoid waiting in live to buy tickets. We did that in any event. I would expect security to be adequate.

thanks again everyone for the replies.

I would feel better about checking a large camera bag as long as I am able to keep the camera and telephoto lense with me during the tour and I would not be taking pictures if not allowed .. I understand this policy is sometimes required because large bags on peoples' backs may damage paintings or other valuable art...but it Sounds like I will be able to keep the camera with me..

as I am able to keep the camera and telephoto lense with me during the tour and I would not be taking pictures if not allowed .. ...but it Sounds like I will be able to keep the camera with me..

One point, you can take photos in the central courtyard and it is spectatacular. I also believe I was allowed to take non-flash photos in certain areas inside, such as the golden staircase. If i remember correctly the sign for no photos was just past the staircases upper landing.

I didn't receive any replies on the port board so I though I'd try this board. Can anyone answer this question who has recently visited the palace in Venice.

What did you do if you had a camera and a camera bag..large sized because of telephoto lenses.... Were you allowed to carry them with you or did they have to be checked. If you had to check them what was your level of comfort with their security?

thanks for your input..

I was at the Doges Palace a couple of weeks ago. Some people in my group that had backpacks had to check their bags. I had a big baggy purse and didn't have to check it. I can't recall if anybody was carrying big cameras with them

luvtocook,

Now that you know this maybe the easiest solution is that the day you go visit the Doges Palace just take a regular size handbag. That way there is no danger that you will have to check it. Why would you need an Ipod with you??

It's not that I would, just wondered what things would be safe if I DID have them & checked my bag.

I think mine is larger than that. May I ask what valuables, if any, you left in the bag when it was checked? Camera, iPhone, iPod, money????

My camera is fairly small so I put that in one pocket of my pants and the small wallet I was carrying in the other. I did leave my iPod Touch in the bag when I checked it. I wasn't carrying a phone.

Is it true you could only check the bag for 1 hour? It seems like that would not be enough time to go on most of the tours.

I think the one-hour limit is only for the bag check at the Basilica....found here...

www.veneziaupt.org/index.php?page=127&lang=en&news=385&group=centro_storico&subgroup=s_marco

You can definitely take pictures in the Doge's palace. You just can't use a flash.

As far as bags, my husband has one of those big camera bags that holds a telephoto lens too, and that was too big to take in. I was able to carry my small purse though.

Archived