New Zealand

ChatKat in Ca.

I am on the Navigator Sydney to Auckland sailing November 16th. Ports were affected by the Christchurch 7.0+ Earthquake.

In today's paper, I read that the infrastructure will take over a year to bring back water and electric to some parts of the area and aftershocks are in the 4.0-5.0 range at the moment. Fare was quite pricey on this itinerary and we are concerned what Regent will do with the itinerary. There are three ports on South Island.

I haven't contacted them yet, because the official reports are just coming in. There is still a state of emergency. It took a year for things to settle down after the Northridge Earthquake, so I cannot imaging that in 60 days it would be different in New Zealand.

Fred and I are on that cruise too so we have a personal stake in whatever happens. It appears to me this not an issue that Regent can resolve quickly. It will take them a while to assess all the alternatives available and make whatever revisions in our itinerary are warranted if any. We'll just have to wait for a while to see what happens. I am quite confident that Regent will do the best they can given the circumstances. I hope we all can simply be patient and give them some time to sort it all out. In the end it will still be a marvelous trip although maybe a tad bit different than we had anticipated.

Not to make light of the situation in NZ, as a friend of mine used to say, Ship Happens. Looking at the map of NZ there is another port between Dunedin and Christchurch called Timaru. Pop. 42,000. I would doubt they would alter the schedule due to excursions already in place at other ports, ports secured and other logistics. We will just have to wait and see and be open minded. My excursion to the International Antarctic Center will just have to wait for another time. Not a big deal. With everything going on in the area right now, we would be an added distraction.

Everybody keep an eye on the Regent webpage for changes and post here if you see anything different pop up.

The only one of our ports in New Zealand that appears to be affected by the earthquake is Christchurch. Our first NZ port, Dunedin, is almost 200 miles south of Christchurch. In fact, the Dunedin City Council is sending some of its building inspectors up to Christchurch to assist the Canterbury (the province in which Christchurch is located) officials in damage assessments there. Our port following Christchurch is Wellington, almost 200 miles north of Christchurch and on the North Island. All things considered, our cruise does not seem likely to be subject to major alterations or port omissions, with the possible exception of Christchurch.

We are booked on a Tauck land tour of New Zealand in November, with the last stop in the tour in Christchurch. We'll contact Tauck to see if there are any changes to the itinerary, in light of current events. In the interim, keeping a watchful eye on Christchurch - and of course - wishing those impacted well. Hopefully, the aftershocks weaken and cease in the coming minutes, hours and days ahead.

I found this site helpful to keep up with current events:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/

I wouldn't write off Christchuch quite yet. There were some positive reports today, September 6th (September 7th in NZ). Although there will likely be evidence of damage in November, water, electricity, etc. should resume within the week. Unlike some developing nations recently hit with large earthquakes, structures in Christchurch appear to be as sound as those in Northridge. As Kathy mentioned, it took about a year for everything to be back to "normal" in Northridge and the surroundings areas. However, having lived 8-10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake, most places of business were open within a couple of weeks . Really hope that those of you on the Navigator in November are able to visit this lovely city.

I would expect that New Zealand will be able to recover, at least to a degree to be able to welcome tourists back, quickly. Their infrastructure is much more stable and well organized than most of the places earthquakes strike. Sort of like when they had the big earthquake in San Francisco during the World Series several years ago--yes, there was major damage to several structures, but tourism recovered very quickly.

Unless there is severe damage to the port itself to the degree that the ship can't dock, I suspect you will be fine.

Hi folks...

An update from NZ for you.

Its over a week now since the quake and power is back on to 99% of the City, sewerege to 95% (Portaloos for the rest) and the busses are back running on the roads.

Damage has been horrendous, but limited to certain specific areas.

Old buildings suffered most, brick chimneys fell, and a suburb that was built on "suspect" land may have to be abandonded. Kaiapoi just north of Christchurch has had major damage as well.

Port suffered damage but is open. Airport was only closed on the day of the quake. (We had friends there for a weekend getaway and they flew back home the day after.)

After shocks are still rocking the area,but they are expected to ease.

As far as your cruise is concerned I cant see why you cant call, but do bear in mind that some of the tours may be restricted or limited.

Alternative ports could be...

Akaroa, not far from Lyttelton, an early whaling village and Frech settlement. Beautiful harbour where you tender ashore.

Picton Fabulous sail in/out through the Marlborough Sounds.

As others have said it is early days yet and decisions as to whether you call or not may only be made on the day.

I for one , truly trust your ship does make the call , as it would be a wonderful boost for the people of Christchurch who have been through such an horrendous event.

How no one was killed is being hailed as a miracle.

Archived