Albergo del Senato or iQ Hotel Roma????

runningcrazy

I am looking at 3 days pre-cruise in Rome before leaving on a 10 day cruise out of Civitavecchia. Does anyone have an opinion as to which hotel may be better. The iQ Hotel is a new modern hotel about 2 miles east of the Albergo. The iQ is close to thecenter of Rome and the Fontana delle Nalaci. The Albergo is so close to the Pantheon you could touch it. My dilemma is in that the Albergo runs about $258 per night compared to the iQ that runs about $170 per night. The research that I have found says that the Albergo obviously has an impressive location, but I'm wondering if the iQ is only 2 miles away and almost $90 dollars cheaper, will the price be worth the location. Any help or if anyone has stayed at either of these locations, your input/opinion would be greatly appreciated.:)

I am not familiar with the IQ Hotel but after reading some reviews it appears that this is a great new hotel near Termini. However, I'll say that being near Termini is an entirely different experience from being near the Pantheon. You are paying for real estate, and as they say, it's all about LOCATION. While I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with staying near Termini (it's not really "sketchy," at least not in most parts), it also has zero charm.

The second thing I'll say is that if you are looking for a hotel near Termini, there are any number of good, reasonably priced hotels of which this is only one. Yes, it's gotten some nice reviews, but there are a lot of other alternatives I've heard mentioned in that area as well.

Termini is well located for using the train......not so much for sightseeing around Rome on foot, although I find Rome pretty walkable from most any area.

For the difference in price that you have quoted, I'd stay at the del Senato.

It all depends on which is more important to you--- walking 4+ miles a day or spending 90 dollars less a day. In our case, we'd rather be right in the middle of things (Del Senato) and be immersed in the ambiance of the area.

Nancy

Spend the additional money if you can..you will not be disappointed in staying at the Allebergo del Senato. The location and ambiance are wonderful. The hotel staff were very helpful. We just loved staying there post cruise. We had originally booked another hotel because of price but we have never been sorry about spending the extra...it was so worthwhile.

Enjoy Rome.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d191099-r75758338-Albergo_del_Senato-Rome_Lazio.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Read up on dog98's recent review for another opinion.

I also saw a couple of other, cheaper hotels a few steps away from the del Senato.

Next time I'd consider one of them, as this is an excellent area to stay in.

We stayed at Albergo del Senato and I would go back in a heartbeat. Great location, comfy beds, attentive staff, and close to everything. To me, it's definitely worth $258. Believe me when I say, the first time you look out your window and feel like you can touch the Pantheon, you'll be glad you chose del Senato.

I haven't heard of the IQ hotel and can't comment on it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d191099-r75758338-Albergo_del_Senato-Rome_Lazio.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Read up on dog98's recent review for another opinion.

I also saw a couple of other, cheaper hotels a few steps away from the del Senato.

Next time I'd consider one of them, as this is an excellent area to stay in.

Just for the record ... I have only stayed in the hotel once but, at least for us, this review has NO similarity to our experience. The front desk staff was attentive, courteous and helpful. The room (no balcony) was wonderful. The in-room amenities were great. And, we had no issues with our in room safe. We too would gladly return to the Albergo del Senato.

If you chose the del Senato......here's a tip.

Ask for room 204 ! Only room on the front with a balcony...... if you google pictures you will see it. They gave us that room last time we stayed there precruise. I loved it ........ huge balcony.

On our return visit we did not get room 204 but another nice one higher up with no balcony......still nice ..... front of hotel. There are some on top floor with small terraces but this was lower down and right ON the piazza. Once the door/window was closed there was no noise if you worry about that.

Loved waking up and watching the piazza come alive. and then late at night watching it go to sleep....... oh, I wish I was there right now ! Rome !

Loved waking up and watching the piazza come alive. and then late at night watching it go to sleep

Totally agree. I have a great sequence in my slideshow from the trip this summer, shot from our room window, that dissolves from the whirlwind of activity in the piazza in the evening to the quiet of the morning.

I have stayed in many hotels in Italy and most have beds that could charitably be described as "rocks". I have not had any problems with those at Albergo del Senato. Yes, they are on the firm side, but I have experienced much worse (and not only in Italy......I truly think the beds on Princess ships are worse)!

I have traveled quite a bit, and I will go out on a limb and say that the Albergo del Senato has (so far) been my favorite hotel ANYWHERE. Of course, I try to stay in local hotels when I travel, and I appreciate that the Albergo del Senato is the very essence of an old-world Italian hotel. If you want American-style fluffy beds, closet space, large bathrooms, and a huge breakfast, give the del Senato a miss. It's not what they are about.

What they do provide is a quality hotel experience in the old-World style -- impeccable, non-intrusive service, well-appointed rooms and baths, and a great European-style breakfast.

I have never had a problem with dust, noise, or air-conditioning at the del Senato and I've stayed there multiple times in rooms ranging from a basic single to a superior double. Again, however, if you must have the silence of a tomb in order to sleep or air-conditioning that can get down to 60 degrees at night, perhaps staying in an Italian hotel in the heart of Rome is not for you.

I have stayed in many hotels in Italy and most have beds that could charitably be described as "rocks". I have not had any problems with those at Albergo del Senato. Yes, they are on the firm side, but I have experienced much worse (and not only in Italy......I truly think the beds on Princess ships are worse)!

I have traveled quite a bit, and I will go out on a limb and say that the Albergo del Senato has (so far) been my favorite hotel ANYWHERE. Of course, I try to stay in local hotels when I travel, and I appreciate that the Albergo del Senato is the very essence of an old-world Italian hotel. If you want American-style fluffy beds, closet space, large bathrooms, and a huge breakfast, give the del Senato a miss. It's not what they are about.

What they do provide is a quality hotel experience in the old-World style -- impeccable, non-intrusive service, well-appointed rooms and baths, and a great European-style breakfast.

I have never had a problem with dust, noise, or air-conditioning at the del Senato and I've stayed there multiple times in rooms ranging from a basic single to a superior double. Again, however, if you must have the silence of a tomb in order to sleep or air-conditioning that can get down to 60 degrees at night, perhaps staying in an Italian hotel in the heart of Rome is not for you.

Very well said!!

I have traveled quite a bit, and I will go out on a limb and say that the Albergo del Senato has (so far) been my favorite hotel ANYWHERE. Of course, I try to stay in local hotels when I travel, and I appreciate that the Albergo del Senato is the very essence of an old-world Italian hotel.

WOW, coming from you that is a stellar recommendation.... perhaps the del Senato should use you as a reference since so many of us here know that you won't steer us wrong ! :D

I have already written that I really like the Senato but I decided to go and read the Trip Advisor reviews on the iQ.

I have a lot of trouble understanding how a very new hotel with less than 100 reviews could be soooo high in the Trip Advisor rankings?? I write on Trip Advisor a lot but I still don't understand their popularity ranking system???

Anyway, del Senato still gets my YES vote!

We stayed at Albergo del Senato and I would go back in a heartbeat. Great location, comfy beds, attentive staff, and close to everything. To me, it's definitely worth $258. Believe me when I say, the first time you look out your window and feel like you can touch the Pantheon, you'll be glad you chose del Senato.

I haven't heard of the IQ hotel and can't comment on it.

We stayed three nights pre cruise this Sept..I so agree that the Albergo del Senato is a great hotel.The front desk staff also helped and had a smile to go with that help.Looking out at the Pantheon is priceless.I would stay there again in a heartbeat.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Ask for room 204 ! Only room on the front with a balcony...... if you google pictures you will see it. They gave us that room last time we stayed there precruise. I loved it ........ huge balcony.

On your previous recommendations, we did ask--and we received! We were there in early September for two nights before our Noordam cruise. What a great room location and such a wonderful hotel right in the heart of everything. We would have a hard time "settling" for any other hotel in Rome. Thanks for steering us to it!

Of all the posts I just read, there is the one BEST thing about the Del Senato that noone mentioned, is the rooftop bar. REALLY??? Even for non drinkers the most charming aspect of this hotel is this area!!! You can see Rome lit at night, the Pantheon, all the lights of Rome, and to watch the sunset up there is awesome!!! Besides that, the location is GREAT, service, breakfast, and the rooms are large, it is worth the $$$. Wouldn't stay anywhere else, and we have been to Rome many times, it is our favorite city in Europe. :p:p

On your previous recommendations, we did ask--and we received! We were there in early September for two nights before our Noordam cruise. What a great room location and such a wonderful hotel right in the heart of everything. We would have a hard time "settling" for any other hotel in Rome. Thanks for steering us to it!

I am so glad you asked for it and got it !!!! We enjoyed that balcony alot. We went to sleep with the huge door open listening to the piazza slowly go to sleep too......

It is always neat to hear that your advice worked out for others !

We went to sleep with the huge door open listening to the piazza slowly go to sleep too......

We didn't have the balcony ... but we did the same thing with our two big room windows. It's times like these that really make you feel like, as Dorothy said, "... we're not in Kansas anymore!!!"

After reading all this feedback I'm feeling pretty happy that i've booked a Superior Double room at Albergo del Senato for 4 nights post our June 2011 cruise.

Hopefully they will maintain their high standards for another 8 months!

:)

Hopefully they will maintain their high standards for another 8 months!

:)

The hotel has made it through centuries ... I'm confident it will make it another 8 months. Enjoy the hotel and it's great location!!

I also have read all of the reviews for Tripadvisor for IQ and Senato. DH wants to stay at IQ because they have beer vending machines. I told him we were going to stay somewhere else possibly the Senato and I will take him to the IQ to get a beer out of the vending machine.

Archived