Albergo del Senato or iQ Hotel Roma????

runningcrazy

After reading all this feedback I'm feeling pretty happy that i've booked a Superior Double room at Albergo del Senato for 4 nights post our June 2011 cruise.

Hopefully they will maintain their high standards for another 8 months!

:)

I suggest emailing the hotel and requesting a superior double that has been renovated and one with a balcony. Room 605 is one of the best superior doubles. Do not settle for room 302.

If you look at this picture you will see that the only balcony on the front (other than the ones up top) is at room 204 ! We stayed in this room and it was WONDERFUL ! We booked a deluxe double and they gave us this one. The rooms with terraces up high I believe were ALOT more money :o

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/00/d7/bb/albergo-del-senato.jpg

Ask for room 204 - I know I told someone else to and they got it !

If you look at this picture you will see that the only balcony on the front (other than the ones up top) is at room 204 ! We stayed in this room and it was WONDERFUL ! We booked a deluxe double and they gave us this one. The rooms with terraces up high I believe were ALOT more money :o

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/00/d7/bb/albergo-del-senato.jpg

Great picture of the hotel - thanks.

I just came back from the IQ Roma Hotel for my Sept 23rd sailing and it really is a very nice hotel - modern and chic and the staff are sooo nice. Location is good with lots of restaurants around, however, if I had to do it all over again, I would pick a hotel right smack in the centre of all the ruins just for the view although the hotels around the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc, can be very old and of course more expensive. As for the IQ Roma Hotel, I can truly say it is very nice just exactly what people are saying on Trip Advisor.

• 4 weeks later...

OH WOW I WANT THIS ROOM!! How far in advance did you book your room? We're not going until 9/12/2011...

I have already written that I really like the Senato but I decided to go and read the Trip Advisor reviews on the iQ.

I have a lot of trouble understanding how a very new hotel with less than 100 reviews could be soooo high in the Trip Advisor rankings?? I write on Trip Advisor a lot but I still don't understand their popularity ranking system???

Anyway, del Senato still gets my YES vote!

We have had lots of issues with TA ever since it was sold to Expedia. Do you think there might be a conflict of interest with the hotel ratings? Like you we have noticed that certain hotels seem to get a high rating with few good reviews. Let the buyer beware.

Hank

We have had lots of issues with TA ever since it was sold to Expedia. Do you think there might be a conflict of interest with the hotel ratings? Like you we have noticed that certain hotels seem to get a high rating with few good reviews. Let the buyer beware.

Hank

I think that even if there is only a couple of reviews the hotel/restaurant will get a top rating as long as there are no negative ratings. I am sure that hotels and restaurants send the ratings in themselves even though TA tries hard to catch these reviews.

I think that even if there is only a couple of reviews the hotel/restaurant will get a top rating as long as there are no negative ratings. I am sure that hotels and restaurants send the ratings in themselves even though TA tries hard to catch these reviews.

Many reviewers are way over-the-top - like a budget hotel that consistently gets top ratings on TA. Right now there's an inn in Rome with only 13 reviews but it's rated at #2 in all of Rome. Really?? Out of 1289 hotels! Puh-leez!:rolleyes:

Whenever I want a balanced view, I filter by the negative reviews first. If I see they are mostly nit-picky complaints, then I'm fairly comfortable that the positive reviews are legitimate.

OH WOW I WANT THIS ROOM!! How far in advance did you book your room? We're not going until 9/12/2011...

One of my favorite pictures--us on the balcony of room 204--taken by our friends the morning before leaving for the ship!

We booked September 29, 2009, for our two-night stay beginning September 6, 2010. However, they couldn't guarantee that we would get this room even though they did note the request on our reservation. We lucked out on arrival to find that the room was being vacated that morning, so we were able to claim it!

ry%3D400

If you're sitting on the sofa in the lobby just inside the front door (as I was for the pictures below) and look to the left, you see this scene:

ry%3D400

If you turn your head to the right, and look out that same front door, this is what you see. Truly.

ry%3D400

One of my favorite pictures--us on the balcony of room 204--taken by our friends the morning before leaving for the ship!

We booked September 29, 2009, for our two-night stay beginning September 6, 2010. However, they couldn't guarantee that we would get this room even though they did note the request on our reservation. We lucked out on arrival to find that the room was being vacated that morning, so we were able to claim it!

ry%3D400

If you're sitting on the sofa in the lobby just inside the front door (as I was for the pictures below) and look to the left, you see this scene:

ry%3D400

If you turn your head to the right, and look out that same front door, this is what you see. Truly.

ry%3D400

OH my, thanks for posting the pictures. I am booking this hotel today and requesting this room. A question though, when I emailed they told me to request smoking or non smoking room, we aren't smokers but if 204 is a "smoking" room I will let them know it doesn't matter to us. Can you advise if this is a smoking or non smoking room? Thanks again for your help!:)

I can't find any mention of smoking vs non-smoking in my reservation. However, my husband and I are non-smokers and certainly didn't notice any residual smoking odors.

I found the price was best at the time I booked--it only went up, not down. However, you might want to watch it as they will adjust your price on request (if it goes down)!

Enjoy! And don't get your heart too dead set on 204. Any room on the front of the building with that fantastic view of the piazza will be wonderful. Unlike most hotels we're used to, you'll still be able to open your windows to thoroughly enjoy the sight and sounds just outside. Prepare yourself, too, for a smaller room than we're accustomed to. Apparently that's pretty standard for Europe accommodations.

I can't find any mention of smoking vs non-smoking in my reservation. However, my husband and I are non-smokers and certainly didn't notice any residual smoking odors.

I found the price was best at the time I booked--it only went up, not down. However, you might want to watch it as they will adjust your price on request (if it goes down)!

Enjoy! And don't get your heart too dead set on 204. Any room on the front of the building with that fantastic view of the piazza will be wonderful. Unlike most hotels we're used to, you'll still be able to open your windows to thoroughly enjoy the sight and sounds just outside. Prepare yourself, too, for a smaller room than we're accustomed to. Apparently that's pretty standard for Europe accommodations.

Hi Becky, all those pictures bring back the fondest memories of our trip.For the rest of you,I'm the friend that took the picture .:D I also stayed at the Senato and loved the whole experience.They serve a very nice breakfast and have a fantastic roof top bar.As Becky stated,the rooms are European small,but very clean. and being so close to the historic center is an added bonus. You can walk to so many major sites. If you can't already tell,I loved this hotel.

I'm sure we'll be happy wherever they put us with that view! Also know the rooms will be smaller....but since we're going to be on a cruise ship for 12 days after can't imagine it will be much smaller than a standard stateroom!! And if it is I don't care, it's only a few days and it's in the heart of ROME!! Thanks for your help!

If you chose the del Senato......here's a tip.

Ask for room 204 ! Only room on the front with a balcony...... if you google pictures you will see it. They gave us that room last time we stayed there precruise. I loved it ........ huge balcony.

On our return visit we did not get room 204 but another nice one higher up with no balcony......still nice ..... front of hotel. There are some on top floor with small terraces but this was lower down and right ON the piazza. Once the door/window was closed there was no noise if you worry about that.

Loved waking up and watching the piazza come alive. and then late at night watching it go to sleep....... oh, I wish I was there right now ! Rome !

Just returned from a 2 week TA cruise out of Rome. We also stayed at the Albergo Del Senato. We had asked for room 204 (as per texancruzer's suggestion even back then) and it was available but the lady at the front counter suggested that a superior room on the 6th floor (605 I think... I can't believe I already forgot the room number... I think there are 3 of them up there that have balconies) was better because it was on the 6th floor instead of the 2nd. We had a balcony as well but it was an iron railing instead of the big fancy railing that is in 204. We were able to see down on the piazza and all the rooftops in the area. The view was very similar to the webcam view that is at the Albergo Del Senato website. Don't know if it is "better" than 204 but we loved standing out on the balcony/terrace and enjoying the view.

A few months ago I also posted here asking for a recommendation between the Albergo Del Senato and the Albergo Cesari and the same people answering on this one (texancruzer & cruisemom42 among others) gave the Albergo Del Senato high marks on that thread as well and said if I could afford it, the Albergo Sel Senato is worth the extra money. I want to thank you for your input. I just wanted to say that even though the Albergo Sel Senato is probably the most expensive hotel we've ever stayed in, it is everything everyone said it was and that it is where we will stay if and when we ever return to Rome. Great location, super staff, and in great shape.

As far as others saying there are cheaper hotels in the same area, our son and his fiancee decided months after we had already booked that they wanted to go with us on our cruise. He didn't want to pay as much as we did so he stayed at the Hotel Abruzzi which is almost right next door to the Albergo Del Senato and although there was nothing wrong with the hotel they were at, there was no comparision between the two.

Tim

Just returned from our Egypt trip. Still working on a severe case of jet lag :o Havent posted in a while :p

We booked the del Senato in very late January 09 for our stay in May 09.

We did not request a specific room - upon arrival they gave us room 204. We liked this one with the balcony as it was lower down and we were so close to the piazza...... loved watching it at different times of the day.

I love it when people come back and say their experience was as exciting and wonderful as ours...... thank you for letting us know that our recommendation worked out for you too :D

I do have to add that the del Senato is NOT the most expensive hotel we have ever stayed in...... but it is our favorite !!!!!!

With all other things being equal, I will often pay more if the place has a unique history or story. I guess I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I was recently researching the Albergo del Senato and discovered that it was designed by the same architect (Gaetano Koch) who designed the American Embassy (Palazzo Margherita) on Via Veneto. He also helped design the Victor Emmanuel Monument.

All this research and talk of Rome is making it difficult to wait for my next trip.

We decided to book the Albergo del Senato for two nights in December after our Costa cruise. We did so because of the positive reviews we read here. Thank you all. I hate to admit this, but I view their web site a few times a week. I'm very excited about the Christmas markets also. I read that they start around November 26.

If you have never been to Rome, the area around the hotel is an excellent location. Most people should be able to walk to the sites......even the Vatican.

Bobbie

We decided to book the Albergo del Senato for two nights in December after our Costa cruise. We did so because of the positive reviews we read here. Thank you all. I hate to admit this, but I view their web site a few times a week. I'm very excited about the Christmas markets also. I read that they start around November 26.

If you have never been to Rome, the area around the hotel is an excellent location. Most people should be able to walk to the sites......even the Vatican.

Bobbie

We did our first trip to Europe at the very end of November/early December. We LOVED the Christmas markets everywhere. One of my favorites was in Aix-en-Provence. The whole main boulevard was booth after booth of fun items - I know I left some $$$$ there ;) And the one in Barcelona near the Sagrada Familia was nice too. Only mostly items for locals, such as trees, wreaths and decorations. But the carols in Spanish were so festive and it was fun to watch the locals out buying for holidays. If visiting Florence they have one in the Piazza Santa Croce where they had whole pigs roasting on a rotisserie.....yum.

• 3 weeks later...
The Albergo del Senato sounds so wonderful that I went to check rates for our September 2011 cruise.

I am seeing 500EU for two nights so that is a little pricey, but it sounds like the location is worth it.

Yep, September will still be high season...... = higher prices for everything. 250 euros per night = @ $ 330. per night. Based on $1.34 to 1 which is what xe.com has as the rate right now. Not that bad for Rome hotels actually in high season.

We just stayed at the Grand Hyatt in NY for 1 night on our way to Egypt..... total bill was @ $ 550.00 and it is not near as cool as the Albergo del Senato ! Rome hotels are expensive as is everything else - but it is soooo worth it.

We booked the del Senato well in advance but kept checking the web site. Price eventually came down quite a bit and we booked the lower rate and the canceled the original reservation......anything is possible....

You can walk EVERYWHERE!!!! Looking at the Pantheon picture:

Head right and you can get to Campo d'Fiore, Trestevere....

Head left and left and it's a quick walk to Trevi and further to the Spanish Steps

The little bus #116 stops down the street and we took it a few times

Restaurants galore in any direction.

Marty

Archived