Canadian Cruisers !!!!!!!!

Calebo

Slightly off topic, but which airlines have you used (and like) to fly from your home to Europe? I have flown with Luthansa (sp?) and when flying through the US, I have flown with Continental and American (least preferred IMO)

Within Canada, I do like Westjet!

Just changed my avatar picture: can you guess where it was taken? (pretty easy, huh?)

One of the things about living close to the US border is the number of choices we have for flights to anywhere. We don't just look at AC or West Jet but any of the flights that leave from Detroit. We are booked on Lufthansa for our next flight but have also used American, Delta, Spirit, southwest and Frontier. So nice to have a half hour drive to a US airport.

Is your avatar picture in False Creek by any chance? I can't make if bigger so I can really see it. If it isn't False Creek, it is Victoria for sure!

Distressed about my itinerary changes for Dec flights. departing to FLL 7:30 am changed to 6:30 am and departing FLL 11:20 to 10:35 am after the cruise! Called AC and got my flights changed without any additional cost. Very nice customer service. Agent checked on why I didn't receive an email regarding the time change... there are two options for your email... one to send the eticket/confirmation at time of ticket purchase and a second option to email itinerary/flight time changes... that wasn't selected for me for some reason. Anyways, flights are actually more convenient now than they originally were.

Right now I am not booked for a future cruise or any other adventure, so getting itchy feet, for sure!

Doing the Iceland/Greenland itinerary interests DH

Not sure if we will do a cruise or fly there and do a land tour?

anyways, False Creek is a good guess but not correct.

any other guesses out there regarding the avatar posted?

If we could fly West jet we would, there are only in Saint John, NB seasonally so by the time we fly out for the Med and transatlantic, they are gone. To fly with them out of the nearest spot is 1 and 1/2 hours away and they fly at 6 a.m. so that means getting up at 3 a.m. or paying a hotel. That's why we fly AC. To be honest, I've never had the issue i did before, however, whatever they are doing to their system, it's definitely worth keeping your own eye on things.

Since our Alaska cruise next August will fall during West Jet season in Saint John,I thought we could escape AC and take advantage of that fact. Ha!!! Going to Van is no problem but the only return connection I could get leaves Van very late---almost midnight. We know we will arrive home tired but we don't want to be half dead as well. AC wins again.

Slightly off topic, but which airlines have you used (and like) to fly from your home to Europe? I have flown with Luthansa (sp?) and when flying through the US, I have flown with Continental and American (least preferred IMO)

Within Canada, I do like Westjet!

Just changed my avatar picture: can you guess where it was taken? (pretty easy, huh?)

flying to/from Europe if we can, we use Lufthanza. Good service and if you have enough points for business class, it is truly incredible.:):)

flying to/from Europe if we can, we use Lufthanza. Good service and if you have enough points for business class, it is truly incredible.:):)

Lufthansa is great but the seats don't lie 180 degrees as AC business class does on transatlantics.

What bothers me is when AC makes an itinerary change and you discover a business class segment you previously had got changed to economy - usually with airmiles.

Now that is annoying.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

When we use points, we always try to go with Lufthansa. Two reasons....we wil do anything to avoid Heathrow and we fly direct to Frankfurt from where we live. The second reason is with Aeroplan add on charges...they are less with other Star Alliance partners that they are with AC. Probably because AC shows or adds the fuel surcharge to flights whereas Lufthansa puts them in the airfare itself. Zurich is good too, but you always have a chance of an AC ticket and an AC fuel surcharge.

We have never had a problem with not being advised of flight changes. I book our own flights directly through the Air Canada or Aeroplan web site and always receive plenty of notification when flights are changed. Our next flight to Fort Lauderdale in October, booked on Aeroplan miles, has now been changed five times and we have been advised every time.

p.s. Most of the changes were of 5 or 10 mintues either way variety.

Same thing for us.

Air Canada has our email and we do receive notices for all changes, even for minutes.

Lufthansa is great but the seats don't lie 180 degrees as AC business class does on transatlantics.

What bothers me is when AC makes an itinerary change and you discover a business class segment you previously had got changed to economy - usually with airmiles.

Now that is annoying.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

Not all of AC's business class seats go 180 degrees. I find Lufthanza far more comfortable with better service and if they change your flights, they NEVER bump you back to economy. I'll live with the lesser incline. The cabins are segregated much better so that you don't hear the noise and I don't have a problem sleeping on Lufthanza:) AC is great to get from A to B but for a long flight....Lufthanza if I can. AC is what we are using this time though to get to Barcelona. it's direct.:)

Not all of AC's business class seats go 180 degrees. I find Lufthanza far more comfortable with better service and if they change your flights, they NEVER bump you back to economy. I'll live with the lesser incline. The cabins are segregated much better so that you don't hear the noise and I don't have a problem sleeping on Lufthanza:) AC is great to get from A to B but for a long flight....Lufthanza if I can. AC is what we are using this time though to get to Barcelona. it's direct.:)

There is no question that Lufthansa'a in-flight service is superior to AC.

Interesting what you say about Lufthansa business class. The recline in the seat (short of 180) drives some people to despair. I don't mind it, but DW can't sleep in them.

If you could get the AC business suite with Lufthansa food and service, their would be an airline.

Again though, there is no getting around superior LH food and service.

Smooth sailing...

Canadian Cruisers check your flights out of Canada. I booked flights for our February 2011 cruise and decided to recheck them today. One of our flights had been changed and there was no warning from Air Canada. I was able to get a decent flight after a call to the airline, But, beware, it's worth checking.

Happend to me once:mad: they good for this:mad:

Thanks for the heads up- I checked our late Dec flight, and sure enough, both departing and return flights had changed, by over 3 hours each. :eek:

(continental, codeshare with AC)

Called and asked why no email was sent, and the customer service rep said they normally send out emails about a month before the departure date. (in case of any subsequent changes)

We are lucky- our flights are pushed back 3 hours later, so will not interfere with our cruise. AC only has the 1 non-stop flight, so we are limited in our options.... (we booked the non-stop in order to avoid any weather related delays)

You can bet I'll be checking a few more times before December!

Thanks for the heads up- I checked our late Dec flight, and sure enough, both departing and return flights had changed, by over 3 hours each. :eek:

(continental, codeshare with AC)

Called and asked why no email was sent, and the customer service rep said they normally send out emails about a month before the departure date. (in case of any subsequent changes)

We are lucky- our flights are pushed back 3 hours later, so will not interfere with our cruise. AC only has the 1 non-stop flight, so we are limited in our options.... (we booked the non-stop in order to avoid any weather related delays)

You can bet I'll be checking a few more times before December!

So, the moral of the story is....always keep your eye on things. Probably goes true for any airline. None of them are perfect. I felt better finding out others have encountered this. :):)

Makes sense. I've booked flights 8+ months out and had half a dozen changes of both times and flight numbers and each time the airline sent them to my email address. It got so that I ignored them and set a reminder in outlook to log on and print the latest updated itinerary a month prior to the flight.

• 3 weeks later...

We got the notification that our AC Dec YYZ to FLL was changed to arrive at 20:30 instead of 18:15. We originally booked the YOW-YYZ-FLL during the seat sale in Aug at $109 each way because the 10:30 am flight was not on sale.

Well called AC and they were able to put us on the 10:30 flight arriving at 13:30 instead of 20:30. Bonus!

On our Hawaii cruise AC didn’t tell us that the HNL-YVR flight was moved to 20:30 instead of 22:30. Wouldn’t budge on moving us to an earlier YVR-YOW direct flight that we could now make. Arrived in YVR from the overnite HNL flight and they had to change us anyways to direct flight we wanted because our original flight was over sold.

We would get home 3 hrs earlier if it were not for the emergency landing in Winnipeg we had to make.

West Jet vs Air Canada – AC all the way for the frequent flyer possibilities and the in-flight audio/video system. Friendly only goes so far on a six hour flight when you just want to be left alone for a snooze with some good tunes or an on-demand movie.

West Jet vs Air Canada – AC all the way for the frequent flyer possibilities and the in-flight audio/video system. Friendly only goes so far on a six hour flight when you just want to be left alone for a snooze with some good tunes or an on-demand movie.

Yes and patience only goes so far when AC's IFE fails to work. FYI it's notoriously finicky. Note also AC oversells their flights so there's a risk of being bumped that doesn't happen on WS who doesn't oversell their flights.

Well, well, well folks. Guess what? After having my flight changed with no email and calling AC who were checking and rectifying things so that it wouldn't happen again........my flight was changed again less than 2 weeks until we sail.:eek:

AC had told me it might change in August so i watched like a hawk.

I was going through my documents and thought I better make sure.........

and it was changed again!!! - :rolleyes: stay vigilant because i don't know what is going on with their system but it isn't working very well.

Well, well, well folks. Guess what? After having my flight changed with no email and calling AC who were checking and rectifying things so that it wouldn't happen again........my flight was changed again less than 2 weeks until we sail.:eek:

AC had told me it might change in August so i watched like a hawk.

I was going through my documents and thought I better make sure.........

and it was changed again!!! - :rolleyes: stay vigilant because i don't know what is going on with their system but it isn't working very well.

Sure is a good thing you found out in time. Your advice about checking regularly is sound.

For our Bermuda cruise in June we had booked a direct flight out of Halifax to LaGuardia with a return flight booked in the early afternoon when the cruise ended. We had decided that we would drive to Halifax and spend the night---all to avoid the customs schmozzle at Toronto Airport if we were to fly out of Saint John.

Well, unknown to us, Air Canada subsequently cancelled the direct flight from Halifax and routed us from Halifax---Toronto---LaGuardia. They then moved our return flight from the the afternoon to 10:30 AM, which was undoable.

Also, if we had wanted the pleasure of US customs at Toronto airport we could have done it from Saint John, without the drive to Halifax.

I discovered this a few weeks prior to our trip, and luckily we were able to get all our money refunded, as they had not notified us and the rerouting was not acceptable.

We then booked out of Bangor, Maine on a direct US Air flight to LaGuardia. Customs was a snap at the new Calais crossing----took a total of 15 seconds and we were sent on our way with a cheery smile.

I don't like using Bangor in the winter as driving across the Airline (the road, for those who aren't familiar with the onetime notorious highway in Maine) in winter can be dicey----but in the good weather it is a no brainer.

Remember back in the 60's and 70's when the Airline was not for sissies---even in the summer?:eek::eek::eek:

'Sapper' -- We always fly out of Bangor with no hassles (the easiest airport to fly out of that I've yet encountered!) We can avoid the 'airline route' too, and stay on I-95 from Houlton down when leaving from the northwest of the province!

After all those trips from Bgr., last winter we flew from Dorval (PET) in order to save $500 ---- It was the biggest mistake I ever made; we were on the first flight out in the morning, and we were in customs for >5 hours --- never again will I deal with US Customs in an airport (especially that one!!), the land entry sites are so much easier and less stressful.

This January we are going to try driving down since I'm semi-retired now!!

Hope you enjoyed Bermuda, and hope you were able to avoid the hurricanes.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!

'Sapper' -- We always fly out of Bangor with no hassles (the easiest airport to fly out of that I've yet encountered!) We can avoid the 'airline route' too' date=' and stay on I-95 from Houlton down when leaving from the northwest of the province!

After all those trips from Bgr., last winter we flew from Dorval (PET) in order to save $500 ---- It was the biggest mistake I ever made; we were on the first flight out in the morning, and we were in customs for >5 hours --- never again will I deal with US Customs in an airport (especially that one!!), the land entry sites are so much easier and less stressful.

This January we are going to try driving down since I'm semi-retired now!!

Hope you enjoyed Bermuda, and hope you were able to avoid the hurricanes.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend![/quote']

Nice to see you posting again---thought you had disappeared.

When we fly from Bangor we always stay at the hotel just across the street from the terminal and walk through the pedway in the morning.---So civilized.

When I refer to Dorval I always qualify it with "sorry--PET" ;)

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes and the same to you.

Archived