milk on Carnival

acceber32

Hello, I asked this awhile ago on the main Carnival page but got mixed responses. Should have just asked all the mommies here. We will be cruising in January with our 17 month old son on the Carnival Dream. Of course, he only drinks whole milk. I asked what kind of milk was served and was told yes, there is whole milk and no, there wasn't. Finally found it on Carnival's website that they do not serve whole milk (only skim, 2%, chocolate and soy). So, has anyone had any experience trying to get whole milk on board? What do you do when cruising with your 1 year old? I am going to ask his pediatrician at his next doctor's appointment about doing 2% for the week but I don't really like the idea of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

When I cruised with my 1 year olds, my pediatrician said there's absolutely no problem not having whole milk for a couple weeks. From what I remember, he scoffed at me having any hesitation about it and said that the milk has the same nutrients, just less fat, which would no problem during a vacation.

Best,

Mia

Another thing you could do is bring some whole milk drinkboxes. My son never really liked them, but you could try it at home and if your baby likes them, well then bring a 12 pack and then it would supplement the lower fat milk.

Though I agree that if it were me, I wouldn't worry for one week without whole milk.

We've taken our 3 year old on 10 Carnival cruises, (Victory, Freedom, Ecstasy and Conquest) and if we looked, we have always found whole milk to be available. We haven't been since March, so I don't know if things have changed since then.

I will say that my son loves milk and could live off it if I let him. However, he does not like the milk on Carnival. It's the only place we've been where he refuses to drink it. I also have concerns with the milk on board as it never really seems cold. Has anyone else had this experience? I get worried that it is off temperature and that it will make him sick. I have brought milk boxes in the past, but I don't really get concerned if he doesn't drink milk for a week while on vacation.

Thanks everyone!! I am so glad to hear that I am over thinking this. This is our first baby and I have a tendency to over think most things and make them much more complicated than they need to be when it comes to him. And you would think that since I know this I would relax a little about it but that's not the case, lol.

2% is just fine for 7 days. You are able to introduce fat in other methods-yogurt, cheese, eggs with butter etc. etc. You toddler will be just fine. Those myelin sheaths in the brain wont know the difference for one week. You can also ask for whole milk they do have it, just not in the cartons. The dining room waiters will bring it to you in a carafe. I bet you could order it fro room service as well.

Another thing you could do is bring some whole milk drinkboxes. My son never really liked them, but you could try it at home and if your baby likes them, well then bring a 12 pack and then it would supplement the lower fat milk.

Though I agree that if it were me, I wouldn't worry for one week without whole milk.

There is no need to bring your own. Ships do have whole milk.

You could take your 2% milk carton and add a splash of coffee cream - it is either 10% or 18% cream to bring the milk fat up if the whole milk is not readily available. It wasn't on the buffet last February. Maybe you could even order a bunch each day from room service and bring your own to meals.

Our pediatrician switched my daughter from whole milk to 2% just after a year because she was bulking up too fast.

You could take your 2% milk carton and add a splash of coffee cream - it is either 10% or 18% cream to bring the milk fat up if the whole milk is not readily available. It wasn't on the buffet last February. Maybe you could even order a bunch each day from room service and bring your own to meals.

Our pediatrician switched my daughter from whole milk to 2% just after a year because she was bulking up too fast.

Once again there is no need to mix milk with coffee creamer or bring cartons of milk to meals. I have traveled extensively with my children and now my grandchildren and I can assure you that whole milk is avaliable. By the way many times it is not in plain view at the buffet. For some reason they keep it hidden somewhere but if you just ask for it, they will get it for you.

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't trust milk in the cabin refridgerators. They are more like coolers than fridges.

Archived