What's your Favorite Food in Buffet?

kitsVA

30 NCL cruises and never had a pretzel roll. Will look next time to taste! I do remember liking pretzels on one of the ships outdoor bar/grills.

If I had to only pick one favorite...it would be the marinated chicken. I always go back for more and I can eat it even when not hungry.

Other items I look forward to:

1. the pasta station...and ask the chef to just create something ...

2. the chocolate fountain...run over the banana bread samplings or the white cake samplings or the fruit samplings...

3. the square bread with the chocolate line running through the middle...

4. the battered cod fish...

5. the baked cheesy potato casserole

6. the hunk of beef carved rare...if you hit a lucky night...the prime rib...

Okay, forget the marinated chicken...it is the square bread with the chocolate running through the middle...

coka

30 NCL cruises and never had a pretzel roll. Will look next time to taste! I do remember liking pretzels on one of the ships outdoor bar/grills.

If I had to only pick one favorite...it would be the marinated chicken. I always go back for more and I can eat it even when not hungry.

Other items I look forward to:

1. the pasta station...and ask the chef to just create something ...

2. the chocolate fountain...run over the banana bread samplings or the white cake samplings or the fruit samplings...

3. the square bread with the chocolate line running through the middle...

4. the battered cod fish...

5. the baked cheesy potato casserole

6. the hunk of beef carved rare...if you hit a lucky night...the prime rib...

Okay, forget the marinated chicken...it is the square bread with the chocolate running through the middle...

coka

coka, not nearly as many NCL cruises as you, but we have 12 and we just discovered the Pretzel bread.

Vegetarian Indian dishes

It never disappoints me, and I ate it every day plus the Jewel short buffet station lines means that I don't have to wait too long to eat

Ohhhh, does anyone know if they have these on the Sun as well?

It's gotta be those pretzel rolls!! I couldn't leave those things alone!

We were on the Pearl in August..and I didn't taste them :( I think it was because I didn't realize what I was looking at were the pretzel rolls..otherwise I would have grabbed them

The cold soups!

I was a bit pessimistic when I read "chilled soups" Soups to me should be hot..but I did what I tell my kids...take a small taste...And I loved it!! to bad I bypassed the banana chilled soup and didn't taste it until the strawberry one the next day..tasted like melted ice cream yum..

The Indian cuisine on the Jewel is excellent. Sorry to hear about the espresso/cappuccino machines. I remember thinking that they were too good to be true - that while they're great for the passengers, and I hit them early and often, they must be prohibitively expensive to maintain and supply. Better to serve capps and espressos in the MDRs and control the consumption, I suppose.

I was a bit pessimistic when I read "chilled soups" Soups to me should be hot..but I did what I tell my kids...take a small taste...And I loved it!! to bad I bypassed the banana chilled soup and didn't taste it until the strawberry one the next day..tasted like melted ice cream yum..

I felt the same way UNTIL I tasted them I purposly looked for them everyday. Last year I was half way thru the cruise before I realized that they were available at the buffet. Not a problem this year, had one everyday at least once a day.

I felt the same way UNTIL I tasted them I purposly looked for them everyday. Last year I was half way thru the cruise before I realized that they were available at the buffet. Not a problem this year, had one everyday at least once a day.

there are a couple of the cold ones I just love and I think we all responded the same way when we first saw "cold soup" now it has become a staple when we cruise.

Nita

Hello, "bsblindab."

For Americans over the age of 30 (and probably for people from many other nations), there is no such thing as an intentionally "cold/chilled soup." We grew up with Campbell's, Lipton's, and Knorr's soups, all of which were hot. Some of us, perhaps, encountered gazpacho and/or vichysoisse (cold vegetable "soups") in restaurants, but we knew that they were Spanish and French dishes, respectively, not really soups.

And, in fact, what is labeled as "chilled/cold soups" aboard cruise ships (and perhaps in some land-based restaurants) are not really "soups" at all, because soups don't have fruit in them. What we are being fed are FRUIT PUREES or SMOOTHIES, falsely labeled as "soups," in order to enhance the list of "starters" on menus.

I'm not saying that smoothies/fruit purees don't taste good. I'm just saying that they are deceptively labeled (when called "soups"), that they should be served as desserts -- and that the cruise lines should be creative enough to serve REAL (hot vegetable or meat or seafood) SOUPS as starters.

Thank you.

Hello, "bsblindab."

For Americans over the age of 30 (and probably for people from many other nations), there is no such thing as an intentionally "cold/chilled soup." We grew up with Campbell's, Lipton's, and Knorr's soups, all of which were hot. Some of us, perhaps, encountered gazpacho and/or vichysoisse (cold vegetable "soups") in restaurants, but we knew that they were Spanish and French dishes, respectively, not really soups.

And, in fact, what is labeled as "chilled/cold soups" aboard cruise ships (and perhaps in some land-based restaurants) are not really "soups" at all, because soups don't have fruit in them. What we are being fed are FRUIT PUREES or SMOOTHIES, falsely labeled as "soups," in order to enhance the list of "starters" on menus.

I'm not saying that smoothies/fruit purees don't taste good. I'm just saying that they are deceptively labeled (when called "soups"), that they should be served as desserts -- and that the cruise lines should be creative enough to serve REAL (hot vegetable or meat or seafood) SOUPS as starters.

Thank you.

It is all a conspiracy to change the definition of soup and deceive their customers yet again. NCL has got to be the most deceptive business that exists today, according to some people. :confused:

PE

Hello, "bsblindab."

Thank you.

If it's served in a bowl and I can't eat it with a fork, and it's not breakfast, I call it soup or a derivitive thereof (stew, etc). While most soups are usually savory, I think fruit soups are fine. On the other hand, if cheesecake isn't baked, it isn't cheesecake! (It also shouldn't have flour in it, but I digress.) I will draw a line when it comes to cheesecake!!!

Fruit soups

Fruit soups are served warm or cold depending on the recipe. Many recipes are for cold soups served when fruit is in season during hot weather. Some, like Norwegian fruktsuppe, may be served warm and rely on dried fruit, such as raisins and prunes and so could be made in any season. Fruit soups may include milk or cream, sweet or savoury dumplings, spices, or alcoholic beverages, such as brandy or champagne. Cherry soup is made with table wine and/or port. Starch, particularly potato starch, is used to thicken fruit soups, to make kisel.

Cold and warm fruit soups are common in Scandinavian, Baltic and Eastern European cuisines, while hot fruit soups with meat appear in Middle Eastern, Central Asian and Chinese cuisines. Cold fruit soups include krentjebrij.

Fruit soups are uncommon or absent in the cuisines of the Americas, Africa and Western Europe. They are also not seen in Japan, Southeast Asia or Oceania. The exception is cold fruit soups that are savory rather than (or in addition to) sweet. For example:

Winter melon soup is a Chinese soup, usually with a chicken stock base. It is a savory soup, often including other vegetables and mushrooms. Technically, the winter melon is a fruit, since it is a seed bearing body, but in practical use, it is a vegetable. Winter melon soup is often presented as a whole winter melon, filled with stock, vegetables and meat, that has been steamed for hours. The skin is decoratively cut, so that what is presented is a decorative centerpiece, smaller than a medicine ball, larger than a soccer ball, filled with soup. The flesh of the melon is scooped out with the soup

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie, and haven't been on a NCL ship yet, but I think I will be right at home on the Sun next summer. Pretzel rolls, eggs benedict, lox cream cheese and bagels, Bread pudding, and buffalo wings. Nope, I won't be hungry. And I forgot about crepes too.

Is it possible to get bagels, lox, and cream cheese for lunch? I do that at the Deli on Carnival.

Was on the Epic recently and my faves are: chocolate croissants at the buffet, warm brownie sundae at O'Sheehans and sweet potato fries at Spice H2O.

Shoot, I missed the sweet potato fries at Spice H20. Probably didn't really need them anyway. I've got a couple of pounds to lose after last week's cruise.:rolleyes:

We were on the Epic a couple of weeks ago and from the first day found the best curries ever on a cruise. None of this mild tingle in the mouth, but a full blow taste expolsion with a good amount of heat, but not too much as to drive you away. Chicken, lamb, fish, beef as well as vegitarian varieties, the rice was also perfectly cooked to provide the proper underpinning for the dish, I was in heaven.

Desset; bread pudding, also a little different everyday, with warm white or caramel sauce. Ahh, the simple joys of life.

My favourite buffet item was the corned beef hash. I don't normally like corned beef but that was delicious! had it every day (unless i was in Cagney's).

my least fave was the chilled fruit soups. THey tasted like melted milkshakes and were too sweet. The watermelon one also had a funky texture to it.

oh and can i add the rocky road cookies they had for dinnertime? we would steal a handful of them and put them in our fridge to snack on the next day.

Some of the buffet items I love:

Fresh fruit (especially the pineapple!)

Cinnamon Rolls

Pecan Topped Sticky Rolls

Eggs Benedict

Sausage links

Browned fried Potatoes

Pasta station offerings

Pretzel Rolls

Cheeses

Salad bar

I just love NCL's buffet because of the terrific variety of items, the quality of the food (other than the pizza :eek:, but I've read a post or two that say it's improving :cool:, so I'll have to give it a try sometime), and that the food isn't greasy :cool::cool::cool:.

Archived