Voyager is SCREWED in Athens - Cruise CANCELLED

I agree with everyone here about how communication needs to be improved, but we also need to remember that amazingly, CC represents a very small number of cruisers. And while those affected or are possibly going to be affected are annoyed, anxious and so on, the vast majority of cruisers, even Regent people, may not even know about it; that is, unless they frequent Cruise Critic. I for one typically only hang around CC when I'm preparing to go on a cruise. Perhaps Regent's strategy is to address it person by person rather than alert those not in the know to this bad news.

For example, did you realize that just this morning a Celebrity cruise ship, the Mercury, in Barcelona, canceled it's current voyage because of mechanical trouble? The poster who started the thread this evening on the Celebrity board stated:

We left Barcelona on schedule arriving villefranche this morning. two hours after our scheduled departure time, the captain announced that we had two bad rudders, the ship has to go to drydock and our cruise is cancelled. Likely that the 10/25 transatlantic will also be cancelled.

We are to stay on the boat until Saturday and then they will apparently let us off in Villefranche (tenders). No idea at this point how they will handle our actually getting home...they have already committed to full refunds for this cruise plus a 25% credit towards our next cruise....but it's not clear about what they will do to get us out of Nice...hotels, flights, change fees....and we were back to back coming to Miami....and have no clue how they will handle this for us.

Watch this thread for more when we know more.

Ghstudio....now aboard the non moving Century in Nice

Here is the link for that thread.

our TA has given us no help. We received a refund from Regent for the cruise however they did not reimburse us for the Regent Care Premium of 2948.00 Any suggestions HELP THanks Caryl

We, also, have been told we will not receive a refund. Any one interested in joining forces to confront this problem? I will start a new thread for those interested.:mad:

Here is a USA Today (15 Oct) cruise log story about a Celebrity ship that had to cancel it's cruise due to a rudder problem. Pls note the compensation offered below...Voyager pod problem gets a mention but no new information.

"Celebrity says passengers on this week's canceled voyage of the Celebrity Century will receive compensation equal to their full cruise fare plus a future cruise credit worth 25% of the value of the fare."

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/10/celebrity-century-cruise-canceled-rudder-damage-ship-/127533/1?loc=interstitialskip

Here is a USA Today (15 Oct) cruise log story about a Celebrity ship that had to cancel it's cruise due to a rudder problem. Pls note the compensation offered below...Voyager pod problem gets a mention but no new information.

"Celebrity says passengers on this week's canceled voyage of the Celebrity Century will receive compensation equal to their full cruise fare plus a future cruise credit worth 25% of the value of the fare."

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/10/celebrity-century-cruise-canceled-rudder-damage-ship-/127533/1?loc=interstitialskip

Thanks for the link Wes. Don't know what Regent is thinking but, lately they haven't been thinking of the bottom line in the long run but, making decisions based on short term limiting their near term costs which will cause long term bottom line losses.

What I am describing above is their shortsighted decisions to not make customers whole on the Voyager Pod issue and only provide a $1,000 FCC which probably averages 10% or so compared to Celebrity providing a 25% FCC. In addition all of the Destinations issues with waitlistin and missing the Great Wall on the recent Seward to Beijing cruise which Regent has yet to acknowledge let alone provide adequate compensation. Also the total lack of communication regarding the POD issue. This shortsighted PR gaffe will cost Regent in the long run as people will move to cruise lines who value their customers and look at the big picture.

as people move

25% of the Celebrity cruise will probably not equal $1,000 in many, if not most, cases.

You are probably correct on that Don, depending on the category bought but, isn't it fair to provide compensation based on the amount of money the customer had at risk rather than the same amount of dollars not matter the category booked thus the percentage method rather than a fixed dollar amount??

Also, a 25% FCC on Celebrity could be used on a future cruise with a much higher dollar cost and thereby save the customer significantly more than the paltry $1000 Regent offered. And, the $1,000 is only $800 more than the Ambassador Cruise credit offered by Regent. Isn't a cancelled cruise that affects people, costs them vacation time, etc. worth more than a $1,000 FCC???

You are probably correct on that Don, depending on the category bought but, isn't it fair to provide compensation based on the amount of money the customer had at risk rather than the same amount of dollars not matter the category booked thus the percentage method rather than a fixed dollar amount??

Also, a 25% FCC on Celebrity could be used on a future cruise with a much higher dollar cost and thereby save the customer significantly more than the paltry $1000 Regent offered. And, the $1,000 is only $800 more than the Ambassador Cruise credit offered by Regent. Isn't a cancelled cruise that affects people, costs them vacation time, etc. worth more than a $1,000 FCC???

I got $500 per person ($1,000 total) FCC for my canceled Navigator cruise last December, and I was happy as a pig in you know what. Plus, I still have a couple of Ambassador credits in the pipeline, and they are worth $200 no matter what, making the total $1200 in that case.

Would I wish for more? Sure. In our case, many of the cruises have gone up and the FCC would only protect us from that increase, but at least it wouldn't cost us a higher amount to replace the cruise. What more could I expect?

I agree that if fares for the same cruise go up more than the compensation in the next year, you have a good argument to get an additional discount. You should be able to replace a cruise with exactly the same cruise within a year.

As for the "pain and suffering" aspects, stuff happens. My own philosophy, developed at much cost as a result of health problems, is to suck it up and move on. I'm just happy to be alive.

Good attitude, Don. Yes, I once got a $1K pp future cruise credit that made a wonderful trip doable for us. So I would never sneeze at that. I can imagine that if you had booked one of the larger suites then you might feel it's inadequate--perhaps they should think about tiered credits. After all, if you had paid for a MS, then $1K doesn't go very far.

25% of the fare paid on the cancelled cruise. If your fare was $2499. you'd get a credit of $624.75

Oops, ChatKat, you are correct, my error but, would still think that a percentage of what I paid would be a fairer compensation than a flat $1K. For a Regent cruise, $1K probably averages less than 10% of the cruise fare paid and I don't believe that is adequate compensation for something that is the cruise lines fault. Certainly believe Celebrity is being fairer than Regent especially with Regent refusing to reimburse people for air who booked it themselves. Most of the time people book their own air because they can get it cheaper either buy buying it direct or using FF miles. So, in most cases, the reimbursement for air for those who didn't use Regent Air would be less than if they had used Regent air so why not a reimbursement.

As others have said, a situation like this should leave the customer whole expense wise. Why should one spend money on a cruise that never occurred????

My personal take is that $1000 future cruise credit would insult me if I spent $15000. to go on a cruise after travel of some 6000 miles or more, months of planning, arranging my home and business to continue while I am gone to find out that there will be no cruise. I liken it to going out in the morning to finding my car won't start and it's no one's fault, but, I will still have to compensate my clients for my failure to show up.

It is very sad when a company can refund every penny of a cruise (not necessarily air), provide almost anything a passenger could need until they are flown (at the company's expense) home. Additionally, there is a $1,000 per person cruise credit and the ability to take a more expensive cruise at no additional cost. Not sure when $1,000 on top of this became not good enough.

I feel very badly for those affected by the Voyager becoming disabled. It is a rough thing to go through for everyone. However, I'm beginning to understand why Regent is targeting a segment of the population that is currently not cruising on Regent. Many repeat customers are not satisfied with anything and have a feeling of entitlement. There does not seem to be any appreciation for what has been done already. Very sad.

Honestly, TC, you are not having to deal with this as a passenger on the cruise to nowhere. I am. Wish you could just QUIT. So far, Regent is making me feel pretty good about being made whole, but they are not done yet. We are talking, I have confidence that in the end, I will feel that I have been made "whole".

Honestly, TC, you are not having to deal with this as a passenger on the cruise to nowhere. I am. Wish you could just QUIT. So far, Regent is making me feel pretty good about being made whole, but they are not done yet. We are talking, I have confidence that in the end, I will feel that I have been made "whole".

Ditto

It is very sad when a company can refund every penny of a cruise (not necessarily air), provide almost anything a passenger could need until they are flown (at the company's expense) home. Additionally, there is a $1,000 per person cruise credit and the ability to take a more expensive cruise at no additional cost. Not sure when $1,000 on top of this became not good enough.

I feel very badly for those affected by the Voyager becoming disabled. It is a rough thing to go through for everyone. However, I'm beginning to understand why Regent is targeting a segment of the population that is currently not cruising on Regent. Many repeat customers are not satisfied with anything and have a feeling of entitlement. There does not seem to be any appreciation for what has been done already. Very sad.

OUCH! Until you have walked in my shoes.......we spent precisely $8,684.60 on a non-refundable business class ticket to Athens for the "cruise to nowhere". Sorry, but that is a considerable expense for a long weekend away (albeit with some really great people!). Like jhp, I think Regent will do right by us.....or at least I hope so!

If the FCC is like what HAL has been offering it is 25% of the base fare paid on that cruise in credit towards another cruise. So, it is based on what one paid.

Perhaps if/when you are made whole, you can begin to appreciate what Regent has done/is doing and will no longer feel the need to yell at people. While you have been through a difficult time (not life threatening, but, difficult), it seems as if a few passengers from the cruise to nowhere are only posting the negative. If you are confident that you will be made whole, that is a good thing. We do have a dear friends that were on that cruise and have had some difficulties. What Regent is doing for them or any other passenger is none of our business. . . . . however, showing a bit of decorum would be a nice thing for all.

It would have been most helpful if Regent had spelled out their position regarding compensation etc. It has been very confusing! We have finally decided to accept the offer of another cruise Dubai to Cape Town but will have to pay our own airfares. The cruise is 25 days instead of 14 so we are happy enough with this and the itinerary is very good. I thought Regent would cover our air travel but having thought again about the matter, I think it is a fair deal and maybe we were expecting too much. :)

Is this in addition to the refund of the canceled cruise, or in place of it?

Perhaps if/when you are made whole, you can begin to appreciate what Regent has done/is doing and will no longer feel the need to yell at people. While you have been through a difficult time (not life threatening, but, difficult), it seems as if a few passengers from the cruise to nowhere are only posting the negative. If you are confident that you will be made whole, that is a good thing. We do have a dear friends that were on that cruise and have had some difficulties. What Regent is doing for them or any other passenger is none of our business. . . . . however, showing a bit of decorum would be a nice thing for all.

Travelcat, you are off base. Many have been posting nasty msgs about Regent but not jhp. Many of us expect Regent to make us whole; it will just take time. So far, I have been given a 25 night cruise for what I paid for 14. In addition, Regent has agreed to pay my independent air and other expenses. I expect all others will be similarly accomodated. However, until we see the money, we will be a little hesitant (Regent says I should have check in three weeks).

I think the point that jhp and I made was for you to stop posting on this thread as you are not helping anything or anyone.

Marc

Archived