Voyager is SCREWED in Athens - Cruise CANCELLED

Well, thanks much TravelCat.

I love this sort of stuff. Drives my wife nuts though.

Guess this puts to rest the discussion whether or not the pods for the Mariner and the Voyager are interchangeable. They are not, two different breeds of cat, (manufacturers). The Voyager has “Dolphin” and the Mariner has “Mermaid”. Neither has Azipods.

Breen is probably confused because both ships have fully azimuthing pods, this means they can be rotated 360 degrees. The Queen Mary 2, for instance, has four pods. Two are azimuthing and two are fixed. The beauty of pods is that: 1. They have a lot less vibration, 2. They eliminate need for rudders 3. No stern thrusters are necessary with them. 4. They make the use of three screws efficient again since a center screw used to produce horrible vibration problems.

It is interesting to note that the Voyager has fixed pitch propellers not constant speed. I couldn’t find anything in the data to indicate what propellers the Mariner is equipped with. I’m assuming fixed pitch as well.

This link will tell you about the Mariner. It has "Rolls Royce azimuthing propulsers". http://claytonshipping.com/SevenSeasMariner.aspx The information I brought up on the Voyager is more detailed -- here is the link for those of you that enjoy this sort of thing http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/mmipods3.html

That's interesting; thank you.

There's some 'history' with Rolls-Royce mermaid pods. Celebrity cruises had them fitted to their Millennium-class ships and had considerable problems over a number of years, on most if not all the members of that class. Here's a link to a press release outlining the final settlement. However, it's non-Rolls Royce pods that have failed this time on Navigator.

Other classes of ships have had pods fitted and have experienced very few problems. All of the Vista / enhanced Vista ships have them - that's 9 or 10 ships now - and I'm not aware they've caused problems. Similarly, several classes of MSC ships have them, and again I'm not aware that they've had any issues. It seems to be individual designs that run into issues, and I think they tend to be around the area of the mechanicals rather than the clever stuff. My recollection of the Celebrity problems is that they were largely about the bearings that allowed the pods to rotate, rather than anything in the propulsion system itself.

But there's an inherent issue with pods, it seems to me: if problems occur then a dry dock is essential, because whatever is broken can't be worked on until it's clear of the water. In the case of traditional systems pretty much all the serious stuff is inside the hull, there's only a shaft and the propeller that are external to the hull. If there are failures - bearing, electric motors, etc, on a shaft they can be worked on while the ship is still at sea and moving (albeit slowly) because the engineers don't need to do anything external to the hull.

Finally, I'll add my voice to all those commiserating with disappointed Voyager passengers - they must be so disappointed.

It appears that the Voyager is now under way. It's possible to follow her track at this website

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=10&mmsi=311513000&centerx=23.39875&centery=36.62175

Hopefully, she will soon be repaired, the crew can return to work, and her cruise schedule may resume. The uncertainty about when their income may resume must be very difficult for the staff onboard. While we have not been on Regent (11/08 will be our first cruise with them), if the crew is like those of other ships we've sailed, they work long hours (always with smiling faces) for low pay in order to provide better lives for their families from whom they have protracted absences. It must be very hard for them.

Just rcvd a blog post from Terry Breen....good Voyager news:

CRUISER FRIENDLY NEWS

Cruise News from Terry

Just a follow-up on the Voyager; just heard back from the ship and the repair will not be in Genova and is NOT extensive. They will be back on schedule for the next cruise. So good news! Just wanted to quell any concerns. You know how rumors fly. All will be well. Cheers!

Terry Breen

Cruiser Friendly Publications

email: newsletter@cruiserfriendly.com

web: http://www.cruiserfriendly.com

PS..I did hear last night that the Voyager would head to Marseilles vs Genoa for repairs..so Terry's post of a few min ago makes sense.

As terry reminded me separately Wendy she is not a official spokesperson for Regent, but she remains hopeful...am guessing that by next week we will get an official word from Regent post the Tech team pod repair assessment. In the meantime, am hoping for the best, but planning for the worst--doing prudent planning for an optional TA on SS or SB in November

I was reading Terry Breen’s post regarding pod propulsion. She indicates that both the Mariner and Voyager have “asipods”. It is my understanding that there are three principal manufacturers of pod propulsion devices, their trade names are Azipod, Dolphin and Mermaid. I wonder if she has confused a trade name here and used it generically or if these two Regent ships have Azipod manufactured pods.

The mariner was built in France while the Voyager was constructed in Italy. That doesn’t preclude two different ship builders from using the same propulsion devices. There are approximately 60 ships using pods now, including the largest of the large. If I remember correctly the worst mechanical nightmare with these was experienced by Celebrity on at least two of their ships some yerars ago. Think they used “Mermaid”.

I love the Ferrari steering wheel on the bridge. People that have these cars report they are great cars if you can get them to start in the morning. I will refrain from making any comments about the History of the Italian Navy.

Just received this note from Terry Breene on Voyager status:

Just a follow-up on the Voyager; just heard back from the ship and the repair will not be in Genova and is NOT extensive. They will be back on schedule for the next cruise. So good news! Just wanted to quell any concerns. You know how rumors fly. All will be well. Cheers!

Just received another update from Terry Breene:

I have received LOTS of emails regarding the status of the Voyager --- I didn't know so many people read my newsletter!

Let me be clear --- I am not an official spokesperson for Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Until the official word comes from the office we are all just guessing --- guessing leads to rumors -- and rumors are worthless. I am hopeful. I know there are many people effected by this and every effort will be made to get her back on schedule as soon as possible.

Thanks TC2 and all for the clarification on the the different pod problems. Let's hope this one disappears as quickly as it appeared.

how heartless...

for those of us going through this mess this is not going to disappear so quickly...we are 700 passengers still all pissed off with a wrecked vacation that we will have difficulty being forgot "quickly". If you were on on this experience, you might get it.

Oh Shipless!!!

I don't think anyone meant for you all to disappear soon! We all feel badly that this has happened to you all and hope that Regent is able to make things as right as possible for everyone.....

I can not even begin to imagine how horrible this whole ordeal has been, take care and safe travels to you.:(

Actually, Regent has had several Pod problems. The World Cruise was affected last year and part of it canceled, passengers were transferred to the Mariner or Navigator or given a credit for future cruises.

In 2006 the Mariner had a pod problem out of Alaska, and a number of us have been on those cruises. The Mariner limped along through Grand Asia Pacific and then went to Dry Dock.

A large group of people were just on this Athens disaster that also experienced the Alaska Itinerary problem in 2005. We were past our last port, so for some people and extra day at sea resulted and for others, we completely missed Denali - the whole purpose for me to take that cruise.

The air portion was equally as messy.

I feel really bad for the people who have been twice through a bad pod and missed all or part of a vacation or experienced the uncertainty of knowing when they will leave/go home or go elsewhere.

believe one of the first pod issues with the Voyager was on our fall TA in Nov 2008 where a fishnet entered the pod sailing out of Funchal....we were only able to sail at 14 knots vs 18 knots--thus our arrival in Ft. Lauderdale was a day late. In our case, Regent made all 700 pax more than whole...we got an extra sea day at no charge, free phonecalls, all expenses to change flights due to one day delay Regent covered and each Pax got a $400 pp FCC...we are using our FCCs (hopefully on the 8 Nov TA).

Wes, With all due respect, your experience seems to have resulted in only a one day delay in the return to the scheduled port of disembarkation. While this may have presented problems to a a few, most likely it was easily absorbed by most and even enjoyed by many.

I really feel that it is a quite different experience for many a person to fly a significant distance [e.g. Athens, Dubai] to embark on a long awaited cruise only to slowly learn that it's a no-go or slow- go with few ports. Then there is the anxious wait for information to unfold while rumors swirl around. And there are always a difficult few who keep the pot stirred. The stories on this board & the other board which speak of calls to the cabin at 1am to pack and disembark by 3 or 4 am for a newly booked flight do not make good reading...nor is flying home in coach when you arrived BC...nor, nor,etc. I understand & empathize with the enormous pressures that Regent & its personnel must have been laboring under but I also understand the serious disappointment & distress suffered by many pax. While it is important that Regent compensate them [as it has done in the past] that doesn't means that they haven't experienced a big disappointment. Most probably some people have just spent their year's allotted vacation in this experience and aren't free to hop on some of these other offered cruises. Shipless, I had your experience [the WC pod] and understand how very wretched it can be. I hope all works out for you...and yes, I think it may be a while before you decompress from it...and hopefully become shipfull!

No worries Paula, you're precisely correct--our minor Voyager pod problem was more of a benefit than inconvenience...was just adding perspective on how Regent took good care of the pax on that cruise. Your Voyager major pod problem experience and Shipless, et.al from 3 Oct is/was extraordinarily anguishing. All of these pod issues just don't affect the current cruise affected, but as we know the cruises that follow.

ps..latest update is the Voyager is sailing to Marseilles (vs Genoa) for drydock repairs at about 14 knots..should arrive Marseilles about Sunday. We will not

know how extensive the pod repairs are until the pod repair assessment is done...Regent is planning now for the Voyager to rtn to service for the 27 Oct cruise. If you recall at the end of Paula's WC segment last year, once the Voyager got to Mariotti Shipyard, repairs to the pod in Genoa took almost four weeks. I fervently hope the Voyager returns for the 27 Oct cruise.

Each person has a different take on the same situation because it impacts them individually. No two people are going to have the same experience because we have each a different path to take. For someone to discount another person's feelings and experience is inappropriate. All that said, sometimes typing on a chat board you cannot express intonation and interpretation is lost.

This was to be our first cruise, a trip of a lifetime! We have just arrived home so disappointed. When the Captain said 'This cruise is cancelled' , we thought it must be a joke! But now we are home only four days later, reality has hit us .Apparently there have been similar problems with this ship before, surely they should have known about this possibility! How Regent deal with this matter may have serious implications for future Voyager bookings unless passengers confidence is underpinned by more than a simple reimbursement of fares. We have been given no information as yet!

Mariner was built in France, Voyager in Italy, and (per M. Conroy on the Voyager shakedown) with entirely different design philosophies: Mariner from the center out, Voyager from the hull in, which is why Voyager generally has just one center corridor while Mariner has twin corridors with service areas between. That's an over-simplification, and I don't know if it really has anything to do with the pods, which although they sound good, are really a major vulnerable spot on both ships.

This was to be our first cruise, a trip of a lifetime! We have just arrived home so disappointed. When the Captain said 'This cruise is cancelled' , we thought it must be a joke! But now we are home only four days later, reality has hit us .Apparently there have been similar problems with this ship before, surely they should have known about this possibility! How Regent deal with this matter may have serious implications for future Voyager bookings unless passengers confidence is underpinned by more than a simple reimbursement of fares. We have been given no information as yet!

And yours is the situation that Regent must listen to! They want repeat customers this isn't the way to do it. It's not the first time this has happened. I've had to classify all e-mail into my junk file because I get so many of them. I get a full color brochure it seems at least every week. Those are not cheap to make.

Regents policy or should I say spin is fill all the cabins and throw caution to the wind. This started on the World Cruise last winter. Missing ports because of mechanical failures. Then the whole Dag mess and look what happened with that.

This is post that Regent should listen too. They are standing at the side of the dock and they are not coming back. It was said by important people that the previous owner of Regent was so lacking in safety that the ships were dangerous. No one is in a life raft yet but that was a dumb thing to say last May with what's going on now.

First of all, I am so sorry to hear that your first cruise ended this way. It is truly disappointing. I do want to tell you that many posters on the Regent board seem to be overstating the problems on the Voyager. This is not something that has happened over and over. Although many cruise lines (particularly Celebrity) have had difficulty with pods, Regent has had few issues. The Voyager had one previous mechanical problem with a pod (since 2003). The incident that many people post about was when the pod was entangled in a fishing net and had to go out of service for repair the damage. This was not due to anything that Regent or the builders of the Voyager had any blame for. The Mariner has also had a pod go out that was replaced (the Mariner went into service in 2001).

I urge you to rebook utilizing the benefits offered to you by Regent. Please check with your Travel Agent because there are some wonderful offers available for those of you who were on the cancelled Voyager cruise. If you do not have a TA (really should have one), contact Regent headquarters ASAP. They will advise you about how to proceed. A lot of what is being posted on these threads is inaccurate. Only a TA or Regent can help you to get through this difficult time. Truly hope you are able to book a cruise that will make you almost forget what you are currently going through. Best of luck:)

Your not affected personally TC and it has happened before. It ended the World Cruise 2 years ago. The Same Problem. I'm not over stating the issue. I spent 4 months on that ship and a lot of money. I don't know how to say this TC but you are not Regent's personal representative. Perhaps an explanation from MC (The President) will come. That's what is needed, something believable that makes you want to be a Regent repeat customer.

Archived