Rough Seas

robertmnch

:(I have read on the HAL Post many times the reference to "Rough Seas"!

I sailed on 27 HAL cruise's for 185 days starting with the Old Noordam through a Hurricane off of Cabo San Lucas and went thru a Wind Storm on a Zaandam Repositioning Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. We hit 36 foot waves and Gale Force Winds causing us to arrive in San Francisco 24 hours late.

I'm looking at "booking" the Hawaii RT out of San Diego in November and all I read is the "Rough Seas" the first two days out of San Diego and same on the "return to San Diego"!

Would someone explain what they mean by "Rough Seas"?:confused:

Thank you for your help and advice!;)

I sailed ... through a Hurricane off of Cabo San Lucas and went thru a Wind Storm on a Zaandam Repositioning Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. We hit 36 foot waves and Gale Force Winds causing us to arrive in San Francisco 24 hours late.

Sounds like you've already lived it.

I was on the Grand Voyage last fall that did the route you are talking about both ways (and a lot more). We did not hit rough seas at all during out 67 day voyage.....a little bumpy on a couple of occasions is all. I think it just depends on the luck of the draw and whatever weather happens to be about when you happen to be sailing.

"Rough Seas" is subjective.

Some people think a 3' chop with a few whitecaps and a 'slight roll' of the ship due to a 10' ground swell is "rough". It's not!... LOL.

The only objective measue of the sea state is the Beaufort Scale.

I agree with Bill B above.

Some people turn green at the sight of the first whitecap.

I sailed through the back end of a typhoon in the China Sea on the little Golden Odyssey, way back in Nov 86. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and inclinometer pegged several times. That was rough!

We've sailed between the Left Coast and Hawaii several times, and there is some chop crossing the California Current, flowing South along the coast, but pretty mild in the grand scheme of things.

The last time I sailed to Hawaii out of San Diego, the first day there were a lot of rolling factors. By the second day, everything settled down. On the way home I heard people complaining about the first 4 days out. One rough day became four rough days. It was a stretch of the imagination. I would not worry about it. Go and have a good time and you probably will!

My mother and I came on a trans-atlantic, 6 day, in 1959. We were on the original Ryndam. Apparently the Ryndam was being build as a freighter and as immigration started picking up again the changed it to a passenger liner. This made it quite top heavy. (only 25,000 tons) Talk about a cork bobbing in the ocean, screws coming out of the water, not to mention sick people. It was very bad. Also in those days you had no bathroom in your cabin, except a sink. Showers and toilets were down hall. This was tourist class. Enough Said.

There are trade winds going and coming to Hawaii. If the ship rolls a bit, and the wind hits you crossways, people think it's rough. It can be, I remember one crossing a couple of broken bones early in the cruise, but once people got their sea legs, there were no more incidents. It's a great cruise, I've done it, and also the San Diego/Hawaii/Tahiti trip and they are great, relaxing itineraries!

Yep ... and some people turn green as soon as they step on the dock, and see the ship for the 1st time. :D ;)

Some people turn green at the thought of being on the water:o

I have felt a slight nausia coming on twice; once on a small Jap freighter in loong slow swells just off Belgium, and once on a 40' fishing boat in the Pacific. Both times as soon as I got on deck and could see the horizon I felt fine. Never had it on cruiseships, even though I have had a hard time walking a straight line a few times!:p (Not from drink:() That's why they have hand rails in the halls!

:(I have read on the HAL Post many times the reference to "Rough Seas"!

I sailed on 27 HAL cruise's for 185 days starting with the Old Noordam through a Hurricane off of Cabo San Lucas and went thru a Wind Storm on a Zaandam Repositioning Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. We hit 36 foot waves and Gale Force Winds causing us to arrive in San Francisco 24 hours late.

I'm looking at "booking" the Hawaii RT out of San Diego in November and all I read is the "Rough Seas" the first two days out of San Diego and same on the "return to San Diego"!

Thank you for your help and advice!;)

Book the cruise you'll be able to handle it with no problem.

It's objective, different people have different opinions. I wouldn't describe it as 'rough' unless you get thrown against the corridoors or cabin walls!

Worst seas i've had were in a force 10 storm in Norway, and between the Falkland Islands and Chile in the Southern Atlantic.

Archived