Bilbao--what should we do?

Bruin Steve

Our ship, Oceania Marina, docks in Bilbao docks in Bilbao, Wednesday, August 17, 7 am to 4 pm...

I've been to San Sebastian, albeit many years ago...never to Bilbao...the ship offers shorexes including a 5-hour city tour with 2.5 hours in the Gugenheim for $149 pp...5.5 hours to Guernica for $149 pp and San Sebastian/Hondarribia, 8.5 hours for $199 and 5 hours to San Sebastian for $119...

I am assuming there are reasonable alternatives as to how to see Bilbao--even wander on our own...or it looks like there's a HOHO bus for only 12 euros pp:

http://www2.bilbao.net/bilbaoturismo/pdf/bus_turistico2010.pdf

Should we stay in Bilbao? Go to some other nearby city? Take a tour? What do you think?

Thanks...

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid.

I would probably stay in Bilbao and do it on our own, and don't miss the Guggenheim, which is what returned Bilbao to the map in the first place.

San Sebastián will be very crowded that week. First, you are going right smack in the middle of the season, plus August 15 is bank holiday in Spain so there will be even more people on that coast the week you are going to be there.

I don't think you need the ship's tour and you can do it on your own. Also, see a recent story in The New York Times about Bilbao's up-and-coming restaurants. For the money you will be saving on the shore excursion you might want to have a nice leisurely meal after the museum, before returning to the ship.

Just my opinion on a rainy and cold Monday.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We had a free shuttle provided into Bilbao, which stopped in the shopping streets not far from The Guggenheim. The town itself was any European town....

Does one of your tours go through the N. Spain countryside, because that's what we like doing? The prices sound pretty steep, though.

We'd probably stick with the HOHO bus, if there were only long tours offered.

Jo.

Hello, I had the opportunity to be in Bilbao this past February on business. We stayed at a very nice hotel called the Melia. There is an excellent tram service you can take that is very cheap. it has stops at the Guggenhiem and the old town area. I suggest spending time at both. You can also walk along the river. very clean and safe. There are several Tapas bars in old town. Have a great time

We visited Bilbao this April. It is a beautiful city and a great city to walk.

Take the shuttle from the ship to the city center which is located 12 miles from the port.

Then walk all around

There is an historic/old time area to visit.

There are beautiful parks.

Spend a few hours at the Guggenhiem

Just enjoy the town.

Here are a few pictures to view.

Spider outside the Guggenheim

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9WFelf362I/AAAAAAAAGgU/rWLqBJW6-9g/s800/P1040703.jpg

View from other side of the Guggenheim

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9VlXtqoBAI/AAAAAAAAGfM/1GAFzaV55nY/s800/P1040693.jpg

Another view of the Guggenheim

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9VmNNjEjwI/AAAAAAAAGfk/OT8XkNJ_7hw/s800/P1040682.jpg

One of so many paths to walk on.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9Vl5u6M2aI/AAAAAAAAGfc/RmNJQCcPmJ8/s800/P1040683.jpg

One of several pedestrian bridges.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9VmbkRu1TI/AAAAAAAAGf0/U_p757UChRI/s800

/P1040674.jpg

One of many beautiful parks

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9VmcQZOtCI/AAAAAAAAGf8/X5ffMxRkJGU/s800/P1040673.jpg

Example of the nice architecture

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A9KYk3Drl18/S9Vmr9TwJZI/AAAAAAAAGgE/eFHOLLHw9uE/s800/P1040671.jpg

Keith

The Guggenhiem is well worth seeing -- both for its collection and the building itself.

If I had only a day there and was not sure that I'd be back, I'd go to Gernika (Guernica). But then, many of the parents' friends fought and some died in the Spanish Civil War, so the town has special meaning for me.

• 2 months later...
We had a free shuttle provided into Bilbao, which stopped in the shopping streets not far from The Guggenheim. The town itself was any European town....

Does one of your tours go through the N. Spain countryside, because that's what we like doing? The prices sound pretty steep, though.

We'd probably stick with the HOHO bus, if there were only long tours offered.

Jo.

Was the free shuttle with P&O? We will be in Bilbao in April on the Oceana and would like to visit the Guggenheim.

Was the free shuttle with P&O? We will be in Bilbao in April on the Oceana and would like to visit the Guggenheim.
Will you dock in Getxo for Bilbao? That's where we docked on HAL Prinsendam. Getxo port was 15km from Bilbao and a free shuttle was provided to downtown. The shuttle terminated at Plaza Moyua and from there it was an easy walk to the Guggenheim.

Of course, we were there on a Monday when the Museum was closed :o:o but we still were able to enjoy the unique building as well as the fabulous installation art on the grounds. Behind the Museum is a lovely promenade along the Bilbao River that leads directly to Old Town. Here you can discover the treasures of Cathedral of Santiago, Iglesia San Nicholas, Gothic Church of San Anton & Arrianga Theatre. Not to mention tons of tapas bars offering unique Basque cuisine.

We were also in Bilbao last year (on the Prinsendam) and have also visited the city while we were driving around Spain and France (we preferred to spend our nights in San Sebastian. As the other post mentioned you will need a shuttle bus to get from the port into town (HA provided this free). Having been to the Guggenheim on two occasions we think the best part of this museum is the building....not the so-called art collection. Within Bilbao the tram system is wonderful (you can easily use this to get from the center of town over to the museum) and we really enjoyed just walking around the old town neighborhood. In old town there is a large indoor market which is always fun. Seeing the types of food bought by locals is a great way to learn something about the local food culture. AFter reading the previous post (the museum was closed) we had a laugh because we think the best way to enjoy the Guggenheim is to walk around the outside. We thought they should pay us the 11 Euro admission fee for our time inside (we understand that some love this type of contemporary art).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi....all shuttle buses with P&O are free...unless it's provided by the port, like Livorno, when you pay the port authorities 5 euros. The Bilbao one takes around 40 mins, and you travel alongside the river for much of it.

Jo.

We were docked at Getxo and walked to the railway station and took the train to Bilbao visiting the Guggenheim and the area surrounding it. We then walked alongside the river before returning to the port. I can't remember the details but it was cheap and interesting. If I'm being honest I preferred the outside of the museum to what was inside. (Just my view of course.) It will be pretty warm in August.

• 2 months later...
we are on Oceania in August docking in Santander, Spain anyone know how far to Bilbao from there and if there is train service? Thanks

Elaine,

Train between Santander and Bilbao is very slow. Express coach bus (company name is Alsa) would be better (1.5 hr).

However, you should consider spending time in Santander instead which is a beautiful resort city with a world class beach (Sardinero beach). Check if Oceania offers any day trips to lovely medieval Santillana del Mar, 30 mins from Santander, or to Picos de Europa.

thanks for the information I really have always wanted to go to the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao so I may even take the ship tour because this is the only stop where we only have until 4pm and I would be afraid of public transportation getting back in time.....? I will research some more to find a guide maybe

IMO, the Guggenheim best attribute is the building itself. I found the art collection to be sorely lacking. If your departure time is 4:00 pm I would strongly suggest you go with the ship's tour.

We agree and have posted similar advice several times in the past. The art collection is not just sorely lacking, in most cases it is simply rubbish (there actually is a pile of dirt as one of the exibits). We figure the various artist's mothers must have been on the art selection committee. These mothers were looking for a way to make sure the stuff was not in their homes :)

Hank

thanks for your help the train is out and I don't think I want to ride the bus for 1 1/2 hrs so I have found email address for a couple of tour guides don't even know if they would come to Santander ship tour although expensive might be the way to go here....

• 2 years later...
thanks for your help the train is out and I don't think I want to ride the bus for 1 1/2 hrs so I have found email address for a couple of tour guides don't even know if they would come to Santander ship tour although expensive might be the way to go here....

Hi!

Where did you find the info/email address for tour guides?

we are on Oceania in August docking in Santander, Spain anyone know how far to Bilbao from there and if there is train service? Thanks

Now that is an interesting port not used by many cruise lines. It certainly is not a convenient port for going to Bilbao as its over 60 miles (one way). With a 4 pm departure (which generally means you must be back by 3:30) we are not sure we would recommend going all the way to Bilbao. You would really need to be back on the road going towards the port by around 2. If we truly had to go to Bilbao from Santander I guess we would just rent a car and drive fast :). A rental car for the day would cost about $120 (possibly less) which is a fraction of what you would pay for a private car/driver. If the Guggenheim is your destination its pretty easy to find and has plenty of parking.

Hank

In Bilbao I would visit the Guggenheim Museum. The exhibitions change on a regular basis. Alternatively, there is an excellent Fine Arts Museum. I would also visit the old part of the city which has some lovely art deco architecture. Incidentally, they call the metro system El Foster as it was designed by Norman Foster.

Basque cuisine is considered the best in Spain. The Basque region also has more Michelin starred restaurants than anywhere else in Europe. I'm not suggesting you have a high class meal, but there are certainly plenty of good tapas bars and restaurants to try the local dishes. The fish and seafood is excellent and the area is famous for sardines.

• 1 month later...
Our ship, Oceania Marina, docks in Bilbao docks in Bilbao, Wednesday, August 17, 7 am to 4 pm...

I've been to San Sebastian, albeit many years ago...never to Bilbao...the ship offers shorexes including a 5-hour city tour with 2.5 hours in the Gugenheim for $149 pp...5.5 hours to Guernica for $149 pp and San Sebastian/Hondarribia, 8.5 hours for $199 and 5 hours to San Sebastian for $119...

I am assuming there are reasonable alternatives as to how to see Bilbao--even wander on our own...or it looks like there's a HOHO bus for only 12 euros pp:

http://www2.bilbao.net/bilbaoturismo/pdf/bus_turistico2010.pdf

Should we stay in Bilbao? Go to some other nearby city? Take a tour? What do you think?

Thanks...

That website is great! Thanks so much for posting it. I wasn't sure what there would be of interest in Bilboa, not being a modern art fan, but now I know there's so much more that I probably won't get to see everything this time. I'm into bridges so this place is perfect!

• 1 month later...