Wine Quality

BILLP1

[quote name='OrpingtonT']I also agree about Daniella and have mrentioned her more than once on these boards and, of course, on the comment cards.[/quote]

Is she on board of Mariner or Voyager?

[quote name='RachelG']Another Daniella fan here. She is smart and beautiful. Really knows her wines. She was on Mariner for the Circle South America cruise and really made our trip.[/quote]

Yes. She was on Mariner last November for our Transatlantic.

We both were pleasantly surprised with the red/white selection on Navigator last month. They tried to switch them daily, but some were repeated. All were very good. After our first Regent cruise, I am not surprised--a quality cruiseline is not going to look bad by serving mediocre wine.

I'll dissent, slightly, about the quality of the daily pours on our Mariner cruise in December. It was the first time I frequently -- I'd guess at least half the nights -- asked for a different wine to replace either the white or red they were pouring that night. I recognized a couple of the wines they poured, and they were pretty inexpensive ($10-$15) wines. On the plus side, they were always happy to find us something else when I asked, and when I mentioned one of the prior night wines we had liked better, they almost always came up with the bottle I inquired about. So it was by no means [I]bad[/I], and we always ended up with a white and a red each night we were very satisfied with -- but it would have been a little nicer had the daily selections been a little consistently better.

-- Eric

Considering we are 3Buck Chuck (Trader Joes) wine drinkers we should be thrilled by the wine LOL

Could we please have a translation ? I assume that this means what we would call "ten bob plonk". If so, you are underselling the palates of Regent cruisers :rolleyes: . But seriously, I think that most Regent cruisers are agreeing with you that the standard Regent wine selections are pretty good.

We have enjoyed the daily pours over the last 20 days on the Voyager (white fav; St. Suppery Sav Blanc or Santa Margharita Pinot Grigo, red; Emiliana Syrah) We have enjoyed some excellent reserve wine list selections the last few nights as we plow (i.e drink) through the overly generous SBC we received for this segment from our TA and AMX-platinum cruise bennie. We have enjoyed Bodega Renacer, "Enamore", 2009 (Syrah, Malbac, Cab Franc blend), Gaja Toscana, and a delightful Caymus Cab (gift from head Sommilier) we are having the reserve list's last bottle of Caymus Cab tonight at Prime 7.

Considering we are 3Buck Chuck (Trader Joes) wine drinkers we should be thrilled by the wine LOL

A whole new world will be opened for you my friend :). And there goes your at home wine budget!

Could we please have a translation ? I assume that this means what we would call "ten bob plonk". If so, you are underselling the palates of Regent cruisers :rolleyes: . But seriously, I think that most Regent cruisers are agreeing with you that the standard Regent wine selections are pretty good.

There is a boutique chain of grocer called Trader Joe's in the States that carries a house branded wine selection called "3 Buck Chuck" (Used to be 2 Buck Chuck but with the economy...). Essentially, a distributor that bought up the left overs from well known vineyards in California and bottled them under their own name. Some are actually pretty good but are basically every day table wine. Now, your turn. I get the ten bob, but "plank"?

We have enjoyed the daily pours over the last 20 days on the Voyager (white fav; St. Suppery Sav Blanc or Santa Margharita Pinot Grigo, red; Emiliana Syrah) We have enjoyed some excellent reserve wine list selections the last few nights as we plow (i.e drink) through the overly generous SBC we received for this segment from our TA and AMX-platinum cruise bennie. We have enjoyed Bodega Renacer, "Enamore", 2009 (Syrah, Malbac, Cab Franc blend), Gaja Toscana, and a delightful Caymus Cab (gift from head Sommilier) we are having the reserve list's last bottle of Caymus Cab tonight at Prime 7.

Wes, I have to ask. Is it the Special Select??

Thanks Aloha 1.

From Wikipedia :

Plonk is an unspecific and derogatory term in British and Australian English for wine that is notably inexpensive or judged to be of poor quality.[1] It is believed to come from Australian slang, in reference to blanc (the French word for "white"), before it became naturalised in Britain. Stereotypical examples of plonk in the British context would include Blue Nun or Liebfraumilch, both sweet German wines, although Spanish wine is often also a target. Despite the reference to the colour white, the term is not limited to white wine, and can as easily indicate a red wine or rosé.[1] In this context, the phrase has even spawned the title of a novel which evokes the perceived tackiness of the 1980s.[2]

Plonk that is packaged & sold in a cask, is referred to as Goon

Thanks Aloha 1.

From Wikipedia :

Plonk is an unspecific and derogatory term in British and Australian English for wine that is notably inexpensive or judged to be of poor quality.[1] It is believed to come from Australian slang, in reference to blanc (the French word for "white"), before it became naturalised in Britain. Stereotypical examples of plonk in the British context would include Blue Nun or Liebfraumilch, both sweet German wines, although Spanish wine is often also a target. Despite the reference to the colour white, the term is not limited to white wine, and can as easily indicate a red wine or rosé.[1] In this context, the phrase has even spawned the title of a novel which evokes the perceived tackiness of the 1980s.[2]

Plonk that is packaged & sold in a cask, is referred to as Goon

Now THAT brings back college memories :) Blue Nun and Leibframilch were cheap staples for a weekend with the fair sex! I think in the States, we'd call such wine today "punk". Thanks for the language lesson!

Now THAT brings back college memories :) Blue Nun and Leibframilch were cheap staples for a weekend with the fair sex! I think in the States, we'd call such wine today "punk". Thanks for the language lesson!

You're welcome. I remember the Blue Nun and Liebfraumilch days well too.

Thank you for your language lesson also.

Lots of Bogle wine. I'd say 5 of the last 7 nights have had either a Bogle red or white on the dinner pour list. Retails at 8.99 bottle at Bev Mo. IMHO, not a good label.

I'm not impressed with the pours at all. i'm not a wine snob, but you do pick up some things living in Northern California for 20 plus years, and the daily choices are "meh" at best. Yes, you can get Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, but it hasn't been a featured wine.

Lots of Bogle wine. I'd say 5 of the last 7 nights have had either a Bogle red or white on the dinner pour list. Retails at 8.99 bottle at Bev Mo. IMHO, not a good label.

As a professional wine judge for almost 30 years, I couldn't disagree more about the Bogle. It is perhaps the best reasonably priced wine in California. It has won major awards at virtually every major California Wine Competition. (See http://www.boglewinery.com/ourwines_accolades.php) These are blind competitions in which the judges evaluate the wine itself and not the label. The quality of these wines has been clearly established.

If you don't like the taste, that is your evaluation. So be it. But if you are judging it just be the price,(as it appears you are) you are dead wrong. But to slam the entire winery is unfair to the folks at Bogle. (I have no $$ ties, or any ties, to the winery)

Bob Foster (http://winejudging.com/bios/bob_foster.htm)

Archived