Wine on Oceania Vessels

qldtraveller

Hi Folks

This is our first cruise with Oceania and it will be for 25 days from Hong Kong to Dubai.

We are wine drinkers basically and we are wondering if anyone who has cruised with Oceania previously can provide some insight in the costs of an merlot, shiraz etc. by the bottle. We prefer the South American or European Wines.

Do not need accurate numbers just some idea.

Also on our previous cruises wine was included so we are not quite up to speed on costs for this item

Thanks

Queensland Traveller

Hi Folks

This is our first cruise with Oceania and it will be for 25 days from Hong Kong to Dubai.

We are wine drinkers basically and we are wondering if anyone who has cruised with Oceania previously can provide some insight in the costs of an merlot, shiraz etc. by the bottle. We prefer the South American or European Wines.

Do not need accurate numbers just some idea.

Also on our previous cruises wine was included so we are not quite up to speed on costs for this item

Thanks

Queensland Traveller

If you use the search function at the top of this page and put in " wine list" you will find many discussions which will answer your questions. On our spring cruise we found the wines by the glass to be between $6 and $12. Bottles ranged in the $35-$ 70 range for normal choices and up into the hundreds for those really good bottles. (don't know who buys these). You'll love Oceania!:)

On our cruise in August they had a wine package sale the day we boarded. There was a good discount if you bought 3 or more bottles (could be the same or different wines). We bought some very good wines, one at about the same price we pay at home in a liquor store.

If you are boarding in Hong Kong you should be able to find wine stores and you can bring any amount on board. In the entrance to the Kimberley Hotel, 28 Kimberley Road in Kowloon there is a wine shop where we bought Beaujolais Nouveau for half the price we paid here. There is also a very good custom tailor in the hotel where my husband had a dozen shirts made.

I was told by Oceania that I could only bring two bottles of wine on board with me. I am hoping to buy some local wines on my shore excursions and bringing them on with us. (limit of 2). Does anyone have any experience with this? I am taking the Rome to Venice cruise in April on the Marina.

I was told by Oceania that I could only bring two bottles of wine on board with me. I am hoping to buy some local wines on my shore excursions and bringing them on with us. (limit of 2). Does anyone have any experience with this? I am taking the Rome to Venice cruise in April on the Marina.

Maybe they are changing the policy but it was limit of 3 at the ports but you could bring more on embarkation day.

Maybe people were abusing the policy :confused:

Last time I heard you could bring on as much wine as you wanted for consumption in your room and if you wanted to consume them in the dining room there was a $20 corkage. If this policy has changed we are going to be upset as we like to buy wine in port and/or bring our own wine on board and are willing to pay a corkage fee.

This past summer, we cruised for 2 weeks and picked up a couple bottles in a number of ports. Had no problems bringing that on board and it was served graciously with a $ 20 corkage fee (paid once.) They will store your bottles for later use if you don't finish them.

No corkage fee for bottles purchased from Oceania's list or for complimentary bottles they may provide. Price of wine list mentioned in another post.

If you do share wine with table companions, and want a second bottle, be sure you take note of what you ordered. We ordered a second bottle of what was a nice $ 35 wine. I told the wine steward we wanted another bottle of same. However, he brought and poured a $ 90 bottle, and my spouse signed for that but asked me about it later in the evening. Since we were busy visiting with the other couple, I didn't take note of what the steward brought us. We did mention this and the price was adjusted after some back and forth, but no explanation for the substitution.

We did pay about $ 300 for a bottle of Sassicaia in the Italian restaurant. We were treating some fellow passengers and enjoyed that bottle a great deal. We don't do this every night but will spring for a legendary bottle from time to time.

We did not consider dragging wine from the states on the airline. In Europe, in particular, you can find some really nice wines for less than $ 20 a bottle on shore. Ask for recommendations from the wine shop proprietor. We did, however, drag a bottle back from Bordeaux in our suitcase, a bottle we could not find in the states and which we'll age for later consumption. Spouse packed it well and it survived, despite my misgivings.

Another thought: by my moniker, you can tell I'm a wine drinker. Experiencing wine and visiting wine producing regions has been a great template for our travel experiences.

When I bring a bottle on board for consumption in the dining room, I always offer the wine steward a taste. They are very grateful for the chance to experience new wines, and that greases the wheels for good service, little extra complimentary samples of this and that. I love to share wine with others, it a whole lot more fun to drink and discuss the merits.

With the new airline "liquid" restrictions, how do you pack wine for your trips? We used to carry on,but now you can no longer take it on board. Any suggestions?

When we travel to Europe we buy wine in port, when sailing the Caribbean we either find a good wine shop around the port or pack wine in Styrofoam a wine shipper and check it. If you are only taking a couple bottles you can use a couple reusable inflatable wine bags and put them in your suitcase.

Over the past few years, I've read reports by people who have brought wine aboard by the case -- one was the owner of a vineyard, who brought several cases. I've never heard of a limit. They just don't care.

However, they do have an official, stated policy against bringing alcoholic beverages aboard which they can drag out and use if someone abuses the privilege, most likely by imbibing too much during the cruise.

To each and everyone of you

Many thanks for all your input. It is greatly appreciated.

We will have been informed we can take 3 bottles aboard at each port.

We also have an idea of the basic costs on board for a bottle.

Hopefully they may even have a wine pack sale when we board

Thanks again

Keith in Australia

What are the rules for carrying wine on board? We are wine collectors and hate to pay for current release wines when we have a couple thousand bottles aging at home.

They may run out of porters if you try to bring it all along...;)...but the bottom line is this:

Oceania has an official rule in place:

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibits the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel. [Emphasis added]

The last sentence of this rule is there for Oceania to use if someone is obviously drunk and disorderly. As stated, the right is reserved, but not applied except in unusual circumstances. I'm not aware of it ever having been used, although I'm sure it has been quietly applied in the past when necessary.

They have another official rule about wine:

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it onboard with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Once again, the first sentence of this rule appears to be in place in case it's necessary to be used if someone abuses the privilege. In a real life situation, the only limit on bringing aboard alcoholic drinks appears to be that which is practical. There have been first-hand reports of vineyard owners and collectors bringing entire cases of wine aboard. However, if I were going to do that, I would call Oceania's corporate office and speak to someone in Oceania Club or the hotel department and clear it with them.

Personally, I have brought aboard liquor, beer, multiple bottles of wine and even one or two boxes of wine (as a serious collector you probably just shuddered, but some of the boxes are good enough for me) and once, before they started including sodas, 3 full cases of caffeine-free Diet Pepsi. I always restrict my consumption of my beverages to our cabin and if I want wine for dinner, I buy it in the dining room rather than carrying in my own, even though it may cost a bit more.

I usually bring along a couple of Rum Runner flasks because they store flat in the suitcase, but the only thing I use them for is to mix and keep my Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade in the fridge.

Enjoy your wine!

• 2 weeks later...

Pack your wine in a stryfoam shippper box, the kind used by wineries/wine stores/etc. and send the box on the plane as checked luggage. You pay the $25 or whatever but we've taken wine (by the case) on nearly every airline and never had a problem. They do not guarantee against breakage, just loss, but we've never had anything be damaged.

Try Total Wines have been to the one in Ft Lauderdale and i believe there is one in North Miami Beach, good selection decent prices. Costco is always a good bet too if you have a membership and it looks like they have several locations in the Miami area.

We just got home from a cruise and brought home 3 bottles of liquior with us. They were wrapped in plastic bubble wrap and the giant size helfy zip bags(found at Safeway)brought from home. One in inside the other. One bottle was champagne. All arrived safely with no problems. We have done this numerous times without breakage or other issues.

We just got off Regatta (review is submitted to Cruise Critic hopefully will appear shortly). We carried on 8 bottles in Barcelona (no comments or any notice taken during boarding procedure). We drank one in cabin and paid corkage fee of $20 each in the dining rooms. We greatly enjoyed our Spanish wines onboard.

We also purchased white wines from the wine package list. One very good value was a Sancerre for $18 plus 18% when three bottles were purchased. Many of the red wines ran out on the package list.

They did have a wine bazaar which consisted of many of the package wines at the 3 bottle prices plus a few extras.

Wine Menu for the Grand Dining Room was adequate and fair value.

Archived