Carnival Splendor Plods Toward San Diego: Bars Open, Cruise Passengers Eat Spam, Play

LauraS

Everyone better get their blankets ready. The ship is heading into possible rain,

definitely colder temps then what they are used to. There might also be a pickup in

winds.

These photos were taken about 50 miles n. of Ensenada. As of 6pm west coast time,

I could not see the ship.

If the roof over the pool is closed or they were able to close it, they will be quite toasty. Lots of people hung out in that area when Splendor went around Cape Horn. All those people in an enclosed area would generate some serious btus.

Red wine... Scotch...

Both should be consumed at room temperature.

Cognac, Chartreuse, B&B, Drambuie, Sambuca and most other liqueurs are best with no ice too IMHO!

I'd have to pass on the Spam and pop-tarts but would be fine with stale bread and cheese and a little red wine to dunk it into.

Can't wait to read the passengers' and John Heald's account of this unfortunate event! Our thoughts are with you guys!

Never mind the ice and the long food lines, imho the lack of airconditioning is a bigger problem, especially for the crew. They are stuffed into really small spaces below the waterline, two or three per tiny cabin. A lack of oxygen springs to mind, as does vile smelling hot&humid air. Probably just my imagination working overtime, but it's not like they can open a window to air out the cabins. And since they're generally not allowed in the guest areas... well I'd rather be a passenger than crew on that ship right now :)

With no lights, security might be an issue too. Hello theft and creeps in dark corners.

Dont you know there are going to be some great stories for these folks to remember and tell. I know it is bad but my hubby said he would of liked being on that cruise. He is one to make the best of the worst. I am sure most of the folks that are on that ship are as well. I cant wait until we start hearing from them. Will be good read !!!

I TOTALLY said the same thing!! Course I have the luxury of saying that from my comfortable home. However I would look at it as an adventure and what a story. But truthfully, the novelty of that would last a day or two--tops...By then I imagine I would be getting antsy. So would my wife.

When the Splendor finally arrives, I hope US Customs can manage to show a little compassion & expedite exit from the ship. Being an old lady, I've traveled a lot over the years & Customs nearly always make me feel like a criminal for having left the USA. I know they have a job to do, but for once, it wouldn't hurt them act human. Those passengers need to get off quickly, get a good meal a hot bath, & some good rest.

Never mind the ice and the long food lines, imho the lack of airconditioning is a bigger problem, especially for the crew. They are stuffed into really small spaces below the waterline, two or three per tiny cabin. A lack of oxygen springs to mind, as does vile smelling hot&humid air.

Would everyone please stop mentioning the lack of A/C. It's not a problem! Think about it! It's only 62 degrees outside! Getting some HEAT is their problem, not cold air! In FACT, it was even mentioned by one of the passengers!..

they said.."Gina Calzada, 43, of Henderson, Nevada, said her diabetic sister, Vicky Alvarez, called her Wednesday morning on her cell phone and started sobbing. She said she has not been able to take her insulin for her diabetes because she is not eating enough. She told Calzada all that she had eaten was some bread, cucumbers and lettuce. "She said it stinks of rotten food and smoke," Calzada said. "It's dark, and it's cold.'"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/10/passengers-cheer-hobbled-ship-heads-calif/?test=latestnews

Good Morning America did a nice piece this morning and several pax were heard via cell phones, Yet I can here them now, Yes it smells like smoke there was a fire, Yes it smells like rotten food there was no way to keep it cold. From the few accounts it seems people were making it a decent time. Even dressing up last night like an elegant night. Singing and dancing at the piano bar.

While I too would be devastated had this happened on my first ever cruise this past summer, I am not sure I would know how I would react to this situation. I did read that the Navy offered to do an evacuation of any one who need to be, The one person who is having trouble with her insulin could have gone with the helicopter and gotten medical treatment, could she not have.

I am not a cheerleader or anything, But I think the crew went above and beyond in handling this terrible experience, as they two are feeling the same conditions that the pax are, Yes I know they are getting paid but no money in the world make this working conditions any better. I do hope as much as Carnival is compensating the pax, I do hope every crew member gets a sizable bonus for their endless hours and dedication to making the pax as comfortable as they can

Good Morning America did a nice piece this morning and several pax were heard via cell phones, Yet I can here them now, Yes it smells like smoke there was a fire, Yes it smells like rotten food there was no way to keep it cold. From the few accounts it seems people were making it a decent time. Even dressing up last night like an elegant night. Singing and dancing at the piano bar.

While I too would be devastated had this happened on my first ever cruise this past summer, I am not sure I would know how I would react to this situation. I did read that the Navy offered to do an evacuation of any one who need to be, The one person who is having trouble with her insulin could have gone with the helicopter and gotten medical treatment, could she not have.

I am not a cheerleader or anything, But I think the crew went above and beyond in handling this terrible experience, as they two are feeling the same conditions that the pax are, Yes I know they are getting paid but no money in the world make this working conditions any better. I do hope as much as Carnival is compensating the pax, I do hope every crew member gets a sizable bonus for their endless hours and dedication to making the pax as comfortable as they can

About the diabetic lady..........I have a hard time believing that the only thing she had to eat the entire time was a cucumber & lettuce. Other passengers were apparently at least eating spam. I'm sure that if she would have reported her problem to the infirmary, she could have gotten enough to eat even if it meant crew members giving up their own food.

When the Splendor finally arrives, I hope US Customs can manage to show a little compassion & expedite exit from the ship. Being an old lady, I've traveled a lot over the years & Customs nearly always make me feel like a criminal for having left the USA. I know they have a job to do, but for once, it wouldn't hurt them act human. Those passengers need to get off quickly, get a good meal a hot bath, & some good rest.

I don't believe Splendor visited any port, so this qualifies as a cruise to nowhere, and customs is irrelevant. Should not be any immigration issues, either. The problems will be with debarking carrying all of your luggage, using only the stairs. EM

CNN says the ship now has been adrift almost 4 days since Monday .. what??

The ship is in Pacific time, if the fire was 8 am, its not quite 3 days.

The way the news is blowing this up drives me nuts. Its bad enough as it is.

Turn off the television, firefly. It will absolutely help. :)

I was so hot this morning reading 9news.com and a reader wrote that cruise passengers are nothing but fat slobs and nothing to do on cruises but eat and screw ... I WAS LIVID and shot him back an email he may never forget.

This could happen on ANY ship, ANY cruise line, accidents happen ... in your home, at work, on freeway ... I think Carnival had done the best they could do with the circumstances and everyone should thank GOD that they are alive and not hurt and almost home. If the worst thing that happened was no ice in their drinks, poptarts, canned crab and spam, then they should thank their lucky stars.

I, personally, am looking forward to passenger tales ... think of their Turkey Day conversations this year~!!!

Archived