Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

How exactly are they going to dock in Ensenada? With no engines running, how do they stop a huge ship like this and then get it to move sideways to get lined up with the dock??? I wonder if they have worked it out yet. Just the docking process could take a few hours with no engines to manouver it...

Katherine

well to all the non eaters of the spam, I guess this will be the cruise that everybody looses weight on. :p

twinkie is good for you too, you can lose alot of weight:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html?hpt=T2

also, carnival is on the Consumerist too:

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/carnival-cruise-ship-stranded-off-mexico-coast-after-fire.html

I feel bad for the folks on the Splendor Roll call for November 14th.

They do get a 25% discount on a future cruise along with a total refund but I know what it's like to be on a roll call and connect with several others who are excited about the upcoming cruise, just to have it pulled out from underneath you. Not quite as "last minute" as this however.

They do get a 25% discount on a furute cruise along with a total refund but I know what it's like to be on a roll call and connect with several others who are excited about the upcoming cruise, just to have it pulled out from underneath you. Not quite as "last minute" as this however.

Yeah, I don't know. I'd already be scrambling for a Plan B. I just don't see Splendor being up and running and back in Long Beach in the next 5 days. :(

This has almost nothing to do with cruising, but do the following....

go to Google Maps.....get directions from Japan to China....then scroll down and read #43....:D:D:D

Technically, since cruise ships are on the ocean, this post is not off topic...:p

Jet Ski lol

How exactly are they going to dock in Ensenada? With no engines running, how do they stop a huge ship like this and then get it to move sideways to get lined up with the dock??? I wonder if they have worked it out yet. Just the docking process could take a few hours with no engines to manouver it...

Katherine

They use Tugs to push and pull it into place, not much different than docking an unpowered barge.

This has almost nothing to do with cruising, but do the following....

go to Google Maps.....get directions from Japan to China....then scroll down and read #43....:D:D:D

Technically, since cruise ships are on the ocean, this post is not off topic...:p

I saw that a few days ago when a friend told me to look. Cracked me up. LOL.

Katherine

The tugboats will be used to manuever the ship into position at the dock. Even when ships do have all their power/propulsion ships it is not uncommon for tugs to assist in docking.

So surprised not seeing the MRE's on the news. Actually they are quite good. The only bad thing is they are loaded with calories which the soldiers actually need, but it has everything in there including a dessert. We have two here and the water really does activate the heat and makes them nice and warm.

They do get a 25% discount on a furute cruise along with a total refund but I know what it's like to be on a roll call and connect with several others who are excited about the upcoming cruise, just to have it pulled out from underneath you. Not quite as "last minute" as this however.

I would rather be them then on the cruise now......we had to reschedule for our swine flu cruise......while disapointing it was better then going up north:D

I am going to ask what might seem like very stupid question. Once the ship is being moved by the tugs and it gets closer to the port. Will the tugs at least show up on AIS?

It depends if the tugs enable the ais tracker and if they are in range to be shown on the map

They do get a 25% discount on a future cruise along with a total refund but I know what it's like to be on a roll call and connect with several others who are excited about the upcoming cruise, just to have it pulled out from underneath you. Not quite as "last minute" as this however.

Good thing they reacted quickly before passengers traveled to the port.

Katherine

Several tugs will push the ship into the dock. It's the way they had to do it for many years. The first cruise we went on they used tugs at ports to dock.

Archived