Has the Splendor changed how you cruise?

Dog Drool

I have tossed a small battery operated light in the suitcase. Also a travel pack of baby wipes. :D

Just dont flush the wipes lol

I actually packed a small flashlight (like 2 inches long but very bright on a keychain) and a couple packets of wet ones last month when I was on my cruise, so if anything, maybe I'm just psychic? lol.

I know Joanie mentioned she was going to bring extra plastic bags, which makes sense but also, ewwwww :-) I usually bring a few extra ziplocks so I supposed they'd do in a pinch.

We also had some snacks with us too. Maybe it's just good to be chronic overpackers. :)

No. We're not going to do anything differently than any other cruise. I think there's always been some idea in the back of our minds that something could happen on a cruise but it's a risk, even if extremely small, that's acceptable. Quite frankly I'd never leave the house if I got too wrapped around the axle about all the bad things that can happen when driving, flying, or cruising.

I've always taken a flashlight, first aid kit, etc. with me. However, what this has really taught me is to book a balcony cabin. Without air in those cabins during the tow back to San Diego, I'm sure it became very stuffy in those oceanview and interior staterooms.

Won't change a thing... I have always been a "contingency" packer... :D

And my steadfast rule about always having some sort of balcony so I can get fresh air when I want without having to go to a public deck.....well, nothing solidified that for me like this past week's incident.

Not really, other than thinking what a good Plan B looks like in the event it could happen anywhere, anytime. Coping during an emergency is always a good Plan B to have under any circumstances, with preparation already in place before you even leave your house.

I think we are tougher than we might think we are faced with a similar situation and rise to the occasion better than we might suspect.

When there is little choice, the best choice is even more importantly the best choice. There is no longer the luxury of making poor choices. And even green eggs and spam can look good in the right circumstances.

I am also adding a few of the little vanilla scented air freshener packets that we get at our local full service car wash. Never know when those will come in REAL handy:cool:

To answer the OP's question. Nope not going to change how we cruise. Open mind, good attitude and make do with lemonade, that's Joanie:)

Joanie

Won't change a thing... I have always been a "contingency" packer... :D

And my steadfast rule about always having some sort of balcony so I can get fresh air when I want without having to go to a public deck.....well, nothing solidified that for me like this past week's incident.

DITTO! well put.

Splendor is a jinxed ship- last year, it hit another ship coming out of Mazatlan (I think) & then the captain had a heart attack & its former capt (vacationing on the ship) had to replace him! When we went on it, hurricane detoured it & we missed several ports (we did get a %10 discount on a future cruise & more OBC).

Splendor is a jinxed ship- last year, it hit another ship coming out of Mazatlan (I think) & then the captain had a heart attack & its former capt (vacationing on the ship) had to replace him! When we went on it, hurricane detoured it & we missed several ports (we did get a %10 discount on a future cruise & more OBC).

WE were on the Island a couple years back - missed stopping in Panama City becuz it took too long to get through the locks, missed Puerto Vallarta because we had to scoot behind and around a hurricane, had a gentleman have a heart attack on board and we had to sit dead in the water for 4 hrs waiting for a helicopter to come out and airlift the poor guy back to land......somehow Im thinking these kinds of things go with Karma - we need to learn how to go with the flow and not label anything as "bad luck" if we can help it. And you know what, we had one of the best times on any cruise - because we made lemonade out of those lemons! Honestly people are really getting so tuned into what they think is "owed" to them when so much is determined by Karma, fate or whathave you - how we deal with these things is the true measure of success.

No changes planned here. Not really too much to do to plan for a power failure, other than have a flashlight (which I always do.)

We were aboard the old Regal Princess one time when power was lost. It only lasted about 4 hours, but lights were out, toilets didn't work, the ship was dead in the water. I wouldn't care to go through that for a long period of time ... but what can you do? Just go with the flow as best you can.

No changes planned here. Not really too much to do to plan for a power failure, other than have a flashlight (which I always do.)

We were aboard the old Regal Princess one time when power was lost. It only lasted about 4 hours, but lights were out, toilets didn't work, the ship was dead in the water. I wouldn't care to go through that for a long period of time ... but what can you do? Just go with the flow as best you can.

Thats what they make balcony cabins for! At least you can get some fresh air and some outside light when available.....and maybe some creative bathroom breaks but you didnt hear that from me (grin)....

Only change planned is to bring along a pound of almonds just in case. Always take a flashlight and a couple of bottles of water. Have been without power twice - once for about 12 hours mostly at night and once for about an hour during the day. Both manageable. I would think the biggest problem for 3+ days would be boredom - deck of cards and a real book.

It could have been LOTS worse. Friends of ours were on the OLD Prinsendam that went down in the northern waters off AK. From them we learned to go to bed knowing where your key card and clothes are in case you need to locate them in the total dark. Now, I'll just make sure that the flashlight is real easy to grab, too. They had to abandon ship and stay in the lifeboats for 8 hours...now THAT'S a problem.

Flash light... going in my suitcase for sure. Balcony, that is covered. Plastic bags... I'll be sure to ask the concierge if needed :D. Have had experience with submarine and cold "bucket" showers, and eating whatever is available, including grub worms. We have learned to "roll with the punches"!

I have tossed a small battery operated light in the suitcase. Also a travel pack of baby wipes. :D

What happened on the Spendor has not changed our view about cruising.

Years before we started to cruise I always took a small flash light with us as I was afraid of fires in hotels.

We have been on ships with minor fires and we are still cruising.

WE were on the Island a couple years back - missed stopping in Panama City becuz it took too long to get through the locks, missed Puerto Vallarta because we had to scoot behind and around a hurricane, had a gentleman have a heart attack on board and we had to sit dead in the water for 4 hrs waiting for a helicopter to come out and airlift the poor guy back to land......somehow Im thinking these kinds of things go with Karma - we need to learn how to go with the flow and not label anything as "bad luck" if we can help it. And you know what, we had one of the best times on any cruise - because we made lemonade out of those lemons! Honestly people are really getting so tuned into what they think is "owed" to them when so much is determined by Karma, fate or whathave you - how we deal with these things is the true measure of success.

Very well said!!

Joanie

Archived