Are Travel Steamers Allowed?

tyd

Wanted to know if travel steamers are allowed on the ship. I know travel irons are not.

If they are allowed, can anyone recommend a decent one. I've been looking @ Jiffy, however, can not find a retail store locally and we sail out tomorrow.

Thanks

They are allowed, and BTW I love my Jiffy Steamer. I have had two so far. When the second one broke (my own fault -- I dropped it on a tile floor), I bought a cheaper replacement that I'd heard other people here were happy with -- trust me, it's not in the same league. As soon as I get the chance, I'm going to order ANOTHER Jiffy steamer and toss this one!

No one has mentioned that there are passenger laundry rooms on most of the decks with cabins. They include an iron and ironing board. I usually touch up my shirts early the first morning. I can also hang things in the bathroom while DH showers. He likes it steamy.

This is my chosen approach. I get all my shirts from Men's wearhouse, hang them in a nice steamy bathroom for 10 minutes and let them dry and you'd think they came back from the cleaners.. And this is after I pack them by rolling them into a tube.

No one has mentioned that there are passenger laundry rooms on most of the decks with cabins. They include an iron and ironing board. I usually touch up my shirts early the first morning. I can also hang things in the bathroom while DH showers. He likes it steamy.

For $15 at WalMart, it is a must nowadays. With the bed bug issue, steam kills them. SO I do the bed, the phone, the remote, the toilet seat, the handles on doors as well as faucets. Never had trouble on a ship or a hotel. And we have no been sick either. At home I have the 3 piece floor steamer that does carpets & furniture also. I steam mini blinds, walls, floors, carpets, furniture, beds, counters as well as doorhandles, windows, and sick friends that come over.

So no more stinky cleaning stuff when I use steam.

They are allowed, and BTW I love my Jiffy Steamer. I have had two so far.

For $15 at WalMart, it is a must nowadays. With the bed bug issue, steam kills them. SO I do the bed, the phone, the remote, the toilet seat, the handles on doors as well as faucets. Never had trouble on a ship or a hotel. And we have no been sick either. At home I have the 3 piece floor steamer that does carpets & furniture also. I steam mini blinds, walls, floors, carpets, furniture, beds, counters as well as doorhandles, windows, and sick friends that come over.

Have you seen Consumers Reports when they tested them?

They don't kill anything. :(

Yep. Most residential steamers don't put out anywhere near enough heat to kill bacteria let alone bedbugs. Travel steamers barely hit 250 degrees, you need to be in the 400s for best effect.

Plus, unless you can steam inside the box spring and matttress it won't help with bedbugs. For the phone and remote you are better off with a basic clorox or lysol antiseptic wipe.

Agree.. Steamers do not kill anything!! :(

I have a travel steamer also and used to take it on trips, but since I pack almost EVERYTHING I OWN, I have to watch my luggage weight more so now on flights. Now I just place my wrinkle clothes (on a hanger) and hang it on the door-hanger while we take our showers. Works better than the steamer for getting out wrinkles!

To accentuate my age, when I first read the heading for this subject I immediately thought of a steamer trunk. A good question, I thought, but do they still make them and how would one get it to the dock.

I still live in a world of black and white movies...

To accentuate my age, when I first read the heading for this subject I immediately thought of a steamer trunk. A good question, I thought, but do they still make them and how would one get it to the dock.

I went there with you. What a hoot.:D I had several during college days.

I never, ever have any luck hanging clothes in the bathroom while taking a hot shower. Doesn't do anything.

I have taken a full size steamer on 4 different cruise lines, last one being Celebrity. No problems at all and they work great!

Hey, I'm 41 and had the same thought.. So you can't be more than 43...

I find it all depends on the clothing. Shirts from men's wearhouse work great! Macy's house brand, even tho marked no-iron... Iron...

I never, ever have any luck hanging clothes in the bathroom while taking a hot shower. Doesn't do anything.

I have taken a full size steamer on 4 different cruise lines, last one being Celebrity. No problems at all and they work great!

I have a small steamer but never take it on cruises anymore. The price Princess charges for cleaning/pressing is so reasonable it is just not worth it just to steam a few things. Like someone else also said, there are irons in the laundry rooms on Princess.

I went there with you. What a hoot.:D I had several during college days.

Thanks SeaTeach and Loonbeam, it's good for me to know I'm not on this Cerebral Titanic alone... Well at least I didn't approach the subject as a bowl of cooked fresh clams...

I have a travel steamer also and used to take it on trips, but since I pack almost EVERYTHING I OWN, I have to watch my luggage weight more so now on flights. Now I just place my wrinkle clothes (on a hanger) and hang it on the door-hanger while we take our showers. Works better than the steamer for getting out wrinkles!

We do this too! I used to carry a steamer but found that we rarely if ever used it. I am a careful packer and since we aren't usually flying to port our clothes don't stay in the suitcases that long as I always unpack everything as soon as our luggage is delivered.

Archived