X-specific packing list?

DCguys

I can't believe our first cruise is only a couple weeks away! I've read all the packing lists I can find on these boards and am wondering if I really need to take all this stuff. For example, we'll be on Eclipse and I know the bathroom already has a nightlight-like effect so I can cross nightlight off the list. What about things like bungee cord for the cabin door? Clothes pins? I don't want to take a shoe holder for over the door.

What are some of the things you pack for S-class cruises? We're headed to San Juan, St Kitts, and St Martin if that helps.

thanks!:D

I don't take a bungee cord for the door. Keeping it open all night to listen to the waves can not only mess up your AC but the AC in the rooms around you. It makes things very humid and sucks the cool air out. But it does sound nice. Once I'm asleep I can't hear it anyway. There is ample storage (don't forget to utilize the over the bed cupboards) and lots of shelving in the bathroom. Plenty of room under the bed for your suitcases.

I haven't found a need for the over the door thing either and I've cruised about 45 times. Never brought clothes pins.

I do like to bring a few zip locks. Good for packing wet bathing suit at the end of the cruise and other things and they take up no room. I DO like to bring a chip clip w/ a magnet on it to stick on the wall so I always know where my daily schedule is.

Have a great time.

We bring a couple of those suction cup hooks, which we sometimes use on the walls to hang extra hats or drying suits or the like. I think there are a couple hooks already, but we like the option of a few others if needed. I also usually bring one of those small plastic toiletry holders with suction cups which sticks on the mirror of the bathroom to hold some small toiletry items that seem to otherwise slide off the shelves. I have only been on S class once and I can't recall if I needed it on that particular ship but I think so. Never brought the shoe bag and never thought I needed it. We also bring a couple of refillable water bottles and fill them up at lunch with ice water, iced tea or lemonade. Comes in handy as we are not big soda drinkers.

Thanks. Some of the packing lists I've seen are so extensive that I'd need tons of luggage to bring it all on board!

Since we're discussing packing and luggage, our luggage tags arrived yesterday. They say to put them on before we fly down, but I'm arriving in Miami 5 days before we embark. Should I put the tags on before I fly down anyway?

Thanks. Some of the packing lists I've seen are so extensive that I'd need tons of luggage to bring it all on board!

Since we're discussing packing and luggage, our luggage tags arrived yesterday. They say to put them on before we fly down, but I'm arriving in Miami 5 days before we embark. Should I put the tags on before I fly down anyway?

If you are arriving that early, I would not bother to put them on. When I fly in the day before or (God forbid, the day of!) I put them on so if they get lost, the cruise line and airline can track the bags and make sure they meet us somewhere along the cruise itinerary (this happened on my Honeymoon, and had I not put the luggage tags on before I flew down, we would not have had our garment bag meet us at the first island).

No need for a shoe bag. I am a shoe fanatic, and usually take about 10 pairs with me for a 7 day cruise (I know...). Anyway, I find they line up well just under the skirt of the bed, where they are out of the way, but within easy reach. Just flip up the bed skirt and take your pick!

I also like taking a few anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the phone, remote, etc., as well as a stainless steel travel coffee mug, which doubles as a martini shaker.

I can't believe our first cruise is only a couple weeks away! I've read all the packing lists I can find on these boards and am wondering if I really need to take all this stuff. For example, we'll be on Eclipse and I know the bathroom already has a nightlight-like effect so I can cross nightlight off the list. What about things like bungee cord for the cabin door? Clothes pins? I don't want to take a shoe holder for over the door.

What are some of the things you pack for S-class cruises? We're headed to San Juan, St Kitts, and St Martin if that helps.

thanks!:D

Of course, everyone has their own opinion, and preference. We just got off the Millennium (I know, not S-Class, but still trying to help) and also followed some, but not all of a suggested packing list.

One of the things we did decide to take was the over the door holder, and we found that it came in very handy. In fact, when we were packing up our stuff to leave the ship we commented that we would definitely be using that again. It was useful for storing all the bathroom junk that normally inhabits and clutters up the shelves. We even kept our Aloe in a pocket until we needed it (and lo and behold, knew exactly where it was), as well as underwater cameras, my wife's hair straightener, various cans of spray, lotions and notions, extra suntan lotion, etc... you get the picture. Neat and out of the way... and easy to find.

The other things we did that were useful, if only for our own peice of mind, were to make copies of our passport and credit cards. We also made sure we brought extra camera card, but didn't use it. And some packs of Propel (or whatever your pleasure is) to dump in your water to give it some flavor, and some packages of crackers to take on excursions with you.

We found that the ship really has almost everying else you could possibly need, or want, except for you personal items, of course.

My first cruise I packed a lot of what was on everyone's various packing lists- not everything but things I thought would be useful. I WAY overpacked. The next cruise I left more stuff at home and found I had still overpacked. Hopefully this cruise I will have the right mix. It's a different cruise line so I might find myself slipping into my bad habits. I found I didn't use most of the extras like insulated mugs, bungee cords, over-the-shoe holders, etc. Of course- each to their own- obviously someone found it useful or it wouldn't be on their list. I find I'm not nearly as organized when I get on the ship as when I'm packing so I don't use a lot of that sutff.

The best packing advice I have found on these boards is to lay out everything you want to pack and then cut it in half!

My first cruise I packed a lot of what was on everyone's various packing lists- not everything but things I thought would be useful. I WAY overpacked. The next cruise I left more stuff at home and found I had still overpacked.....
I think a lot of us have done that. Some of those packing lists can be more hindrance than help for first timers, but they can be useful if you only scan them for suggestions rather than believing that you must pack every item listed.

What is considered essential to one person often turns out to be unnecessary to another. Sometimes something looks like a good idea so you take it along, but then you find out you never use it. The hard part about laying out everything you want to pack in advance and then cutting it in half is that sometimes it is hard for first timers to know in advance which half they will actually need and which half they won't. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DCguys - I think we are on the same cruise :)

One thing that I always find helpful when traveling is Downy Wrinkle Release. It does a great job of getting wrinkles out of polos, shorts, pants.

We received our luggage tags as well - we are flying down on Friday and will put the cruise tags on the bags Saturday am prior to heading to the pier - I don't want to risk the airline messing them up. Luckily we have a direct flight but..... ;)

Happy packing and safe travels!

I put my luggage tags on before the cab takes me to the port.

I never put them on prior to flying to wherever I am headed and

normally I arrive a day before the cruise. No need for cruisetags

to be on the luggage beforehand.

And I agree with Fleckle. I have read packing lists that look like

it is a list for leaving your home forever.:eek: I sail solo and don't bring

1/2 the things on many lists.

S class ships, including Eclipse, do not have a clothes line in the shower, so we take one with suction cups for drying swim suits etc. There is plenty of bathroom storage, so no need for the over the door shoe bag.

Just returned from our TA on Connie and am in the process of unpacking/washing/etc. Previous cruise I followed the "Modern Butlers" packing tips [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McB9f6dETL0] except that I did not use the tissue paper between the items - seemed a bit expensive. Since then, I read that one CC member used laundry bags rather than tissue paper but did not have that many laundry bags and they are rather heavy. So I bought Tesco Value Bin Liners [i think that may translate as "cheapest range trash can bags"]. I cut open the liners and used the pedal bin liners whole or cut the swing bin liners in half. [it was actually quicker and easier to use the swing bin liners.] They were perfect. It was easy to pull out an individual item on the pre- and post-cruise legs of our trip and there was virtually no creasing. It took a long time to cut up all the bags but, now that it has been done, I am just storing the sheets in the luggage ready for next time.

Sue

S class ships, including Eclipse, do not have a clothes line in the shower, so we take one with suction cups for drying swim suits etc. There is plenty of bathroom storage, so no need for the over the door shoe bag.

Thankyou for this info! Too bad, such a useful item. Now I have to go buy one.

On our last cruise I actually used Duct Tape and Super Glue. The tape helped hold up a Yankees flag I put on our balcony; the Super Glue was used by a fellow cruiser after she accidentally stepped on her only pair of glasses.

For that matter, if you're an eyeglass wearer, a small eyeglass repair kit or (if available) an extra pair is always wise.

I pack most of my clothes inside dry-cleaning bags. The friction is what wrinkles clothing so I've found this method to work best. Very lightweight and doubles in case your luggage is left out in the rain when loading or unloading at airports/pier.

I also take a travel clock as I have yet to find one in any stateroom.

Take a highlighter for use with the daily pamphlets the stateroom steward leave for us & a small bathroom spray deodorizer. I also take a few post-its pads in case I need to write a message for hubby or room steward.

I have always found the cord inside the showers that hook up. You need to look for it as it is retractable and take along 6 clothes pins or so just for bathing suits.

I like to sleep in complete darkness so if I need to get up during the night I use my own mini flashlight.

When we drive to port, luggage weight is never an issue but when flying we need to keep things to a minimum.

A suggestion for packing is to mix your clothes (his/hers) in each suitcase. Might help if one goes missing. With carry-on luggage I also include one of everything for each of us for use during one day.

Ex: wife: bra,panty,(hint use soap despensor in shower for washing these)

t-shirt or any top with shorts/capris for daywear plus bathing suit. Flip flops/sandals. For evening a wrinkle free dress that can be used for semi-formal & a wrap & pair of evening shoes.

For hubby: 1 underwear, socks, swim trunks, sandals,shorts,t-shirt. For evening: Collared shirt/tie, sport jacket (folded) and around roll pair of trousers/belt. Place all inside dry-cleaning bags or large ziplock bags.

Sounds like a lot but I've done it & are prepared to go at least one day without my luggage. Happy & safe cruising...

After 22 cruises I finally purchased a hanging shoe bag. The one I got from Wal-Mart uses a velcro double closure so it hangs nicely over the rod in the closet. Don't know how I ever did without it. You would be amazed what you can store in that baby. I love it and won't travel without it ever again. It has 10 slots to place your things in. I put up to 3 pair of sandels in one slot. Love that thing.

I have one of those with the wide slots that I received as a gift & also have taken it on cruises that we drive to. I find it is also good for storing small bags/purses, wraps, belts etc. What I found was that the velcro will not withstand too much weight so I took a small piece of rope and attached it to the pole in the closet for extra support.

For our upcoming cruise we will be flying, so I will not be taking the shoe organizer as mine is rather bulky (folds up) but still heavy. I plan on taking one large pce of luggage for both of us and two carry-ons. This is the plan; I will see when packing if this is doable.

First time paying luggage fees. With Usair we each can take up to 18 kilos in the carry-on. Now that liquids are no longer allowed ; I will substitute with all my heavier things such as shoes, flatiron for hair and my husbands pants. I find that they are extremely heavy compared to women's clothing.

We sailed on the Infinity in 2/02, shortly after 9/11 and the crackdown at the airports on security issues. My wife was flagged to have every inspection known to man done to her and her luggage. The TSA agent who went through our checked luggage failed to snap the cap back on the bottle of baby oil she had packed and when we got our luggage on the ship, she had baby oil on every piece of clothing she had packed in that particular suitcase. The lesson we learned from that experience is what I will suggest to you: since then, we use 3 gallon zip lock bags for any clothes that are not hung up in our wardrobe. They compress easily, take up less room in the luggage, protect your clothes from mishaps such as the one we had, make your packing visible to anyone who checks it without having to open the bags, and can be used for storage on the return trip. They can also be reused. I think the ones we will use on our upcoming cruise in two weeks have survived five cruises and a trip to Hawaii. Enjoy your first cruise and take the advice of those who have responded and said to pack lighter than you may think. On every one of our first ten cruises, we packed lighter each time. We are now down to one suitcase, one wardrobe and two carry ons.

In order to pack most efficiently, I prefer the method of bundle packing around a central core rather than using tissue or laundry bags. Plus rolling anything that can be rolled to fill in spacer around the bundle. Here's a link to the "one-bag" site, with pictures, if you've never seen it. http://www.onebag.com/pack.html (I hope this is OK to post on this forum & doesn't break any rules.)

As for things to take on any cruise, the small flashlight, some duct tape rolled into a small tiny roll with no core, a small alarm clock, and a few Zip-lock freezer bags of various sizes are all excellent suggestions. Incidentally, it's a good idea to put liquids, shaving it, etc into zip lock bags, as the previous poster discovered. I found the lanyard to be an extremely handy suggestion, although if you forget it you can buy one on board for about $5. Much easier to keep it around your neck & always handy when out & about. Dollar bills for room service tips are an excellent suggestion, as it's tedious trying to remember to take care of little things like getting bills changed after you're on board.

We took an over-door shoe hanger on our just-completed trip but found we didn't need it. However, I'm sticking with taking it in the future because a different room layout may have made it more necessary. Next time I will take some Crystal Light single packs just to flavor up some water from the pitcher when there isn't time to dash to the bar or wait for room service.

We haven't used the over-the-door shoe hanger, but we always take the collapsible shelves (for sweaters, etc) to hang in the closet. Great for cameras, handbags, cover-ups, wraps, sandals...almost anything...the shelves give a little more room than the shoe hanger, and keeps everything very organized. It's so inexpensive, we just leave it behind when we go home...

It won't help in the bathroom with toiletries, but for small items tha tyou use almost every day, it works very well.

Lynn

Archived