A Taste of Nassau Historical Island Tour VS Self Guided Walking Tour

SakeDad

I posted this in another section, but thought it might help here. I made a Google Map using the Frommer's guide - it gives a good idea of where you will be going. I won't be able to try it out until June of next year, but I'm already excited.

When I plotted the items on the map, a few of the points of interest are in the wrong order (I think). Of course I have not been to Nassau yet so I am very willing to update the map with any corrections or suggestions.

Frommer's Walking Guide to Nassau

Google Map

Walking tour route and places of interest are in blue, the yellow mark is out of order, the teal ones are swapped, and the red ones are not included in the Frommer's guide but sound like cool places to check out.

I posted this in another section, but thought it might help here. I made a Google Map using the Frommer's guide - it gives a good idea of where you will be going. I won't be able to try it out until June of next year, but I'm already excited.

When I plotted the items on the map, a few of the points of interest are in the wrong order (I think). Of course I have not been to Nassau yet so I am very willing to update the map with any corrections or suggestions.

Frommer's Walking Guide to Nassau

Google Map

Walking tour route and places of interest are in blue, the yellow mark is out of order, the teal ones are swapped, and the red ones are not included in the Frommer's guide but sound like cool places to check out.

You could add as places to check out:

Junkanoo beach.. which is located just west of down.. opposite Cunningham Road on the map

Moving Further to the west on the map.. you'll see Fort Charlotte (a little set back from the curve in the water.

A little further South from Fort Charlotte, you'll see ardastra gardens (under the clouds).

And of course, the FISH FRY -- as the water curves past Junkanoo Beach, you'll see the "Arawak Cay" ... that's Fish Fry.

This is a great map.. do you mind if I post a link on my website

www.bahamas-treasures.com

OH.. and Graycliffs is on WEST Hill street (not east hill street) .. the other side of Blue Hill Road on the map

SakeDad: I did not see that map before, that will help adjust my map.

Scubagirrl: Feel free to share my map and I will add the locations you suggested.

Edit:

Can you clarify where exactly Vendue House is? (It's the one in Teal)

I've added the Fish Fry in about the area you described, but it's cloudy there. Can you let me know where I should move that mark?

I just tried to book the Taste of Nassau tour while in nassau on a Monday in March. They emailed me back saying it's not available during that time.

Are they not doing this tour anymore? There is no others I can seem to find as good as that one. Any suggestions?

SakeDad: I did not see that map before, that will help adjust my map.

Scubagirrl: Feel free to share my map and I will add the locations you suggested.

Edit:

Can you clarify where exactly Vendue House is? (It's the one in Teal)

I've added the Fish Fry in about the area you described, but it's cloudy there. Can you let me know where I should move that mark?

everythng is in good shape.. good work.

Unfortunately, Google has a few things out of whack.. but your detailing helps alot.

Add me to the list of people that tried to book the Taste of Nassau Island Tour. The date I tried was May 18, 2011. Same response as others "I am sorry our Taste of Nassau Island Tour is not available on your date in port."

• 2 weeks later...
Add me to the list of people that tried to book the Taste of Nassau Island Tour. The date I tried was May 18, 2011. Same response as others "I am sorry our Taste of Nassau Island Tour is not available on your date in port."

I got the same response (tour not available) for May 12, 2011.

Island Marketing seem to have discontinued the Island tours of both Nassau and Cozumel where you paid $30 and they filled a mini bus. on their website they say the private van hire is only available for a minimum of 6 people but they have offered it to the 2 of us for $200.If we can get other people to join us it will bring the price down but it sounds as if they no longer want to take the risk of a cheap fare per person and then being unable to fill the van

We were in Nassau on 12/11 with RCCL Monarch. We did the Frommer walk on our own. Fort Fincastle is $1 per person entrance fee. We had a good tour guide (tips optional). Queens Staircase was cool. We shopped a little. Went to the straw market. Same stuff everywhere. Did not find the Bahamians aggressive at all (it was around 3:00). They did have a Christmas Craft Boutique with live music set up on a couple of the streets. My DH had a couple orders of conch fritters for $4. He said they were very good. We then checked out the Hilton/beach area. They were preparing for a wedding. Saw the bride and some bridesmaids. Walked to fish fry. On the way to fish fry passed by a park where locals were selling a BBQ lunch for $5. It smelled and looked good but we were not hungry. Rode the #10 bus back for $1.25. Went back to the ship to change and eat. Only thing availabe was pizza. Took a cab to Atlantis. We got there around 6:00. We walked through everything free of charge. The Dig, the waterpark (closed). We ended up walking over 10 miles that day. We found the Bahamians very friendly. We enjoyed Nassau.

Island Marketing seem to have discontinued the Island tours of both Nassau and Cozumel where you paid $30 and they filled a mini bus. on their website they say the private van hire is only available for a minimum of 6 people but they have offered it to the 2 of us for $200.If we can get other people to join us it will bring the price down but it sounds as if they no longer want to take the risk of a cheap fare per person and then being unable to fill the van

Then they should remove the tour(s) they have discontinued from their website. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived