Info on inside cabins

nyc511

My parents are sailing on the Gem in Feb and I would like to join them. Traveling alone I already get hit with the 100% surcharge (but that's a subject for a different thread!), so an inside cabin seems the way to go. The cheapest cabins are on deck 4, but when I mentioned this possibility to a travel agent friend she cringed - not so much about the inside cabin part, but because of deck 4. Is there something about this low deck that should give me reason to pause!?

Inside cabins always seem to be frowned upon no matter where they are. I always had the same impression and didn't choose an inside room until our 5th cruise. Needless to say, I would do it again if it means I can cruise more. I also don't see what is wrong with the lower decks. I would not have a problem there either. Have you thought of booking a guarentee? That's what we did and ended up on the 11th deck. You may still end up on the 4th but it might be worth the try.

Not sure why the TA cringed on that one... Inside cabins are very much the same throughout most ships, regardless of the floor, with some exceptions. It's not like the old days haha.

That just made me think of my first cruise with my dad. It was a cross atlantic in 1965. We shared a room with several other strangers :eek:. Compared to that an inside room on a modern ship seems luxurious.

My parents are sailing on the Gem in Feb and I would like to join them. Traveling alone I already get hit with the 100% surcharge (but that's a subject for a different thread!), so an inside cabin seems the way to go. The cheapest cabins are on deck 4, but when I mentioned this possibility to a travel agent friend she cringed - not so much about the inside cabin part, but because of deck 4. Is there something about this low deck that should give me reason to pause!?

DH and I have stayed in interior cabins and they were fine. There are plenty of places to go in the public areas throughout the ship where you can get natural light, fresh air and gentle breezes.

The most likely reason that your travel agent friend cringed this that the lower decks can be a little noisy depending on what is next to or below your cabin. If budget permits, you may want to consider an interior cabin on Decks 9 or 10; they have cabins above and below them; so as long as you stay away from stairwells, elevator shafts, and unexplained voids (which are possibly crew work areas) on the deck plans, you're more likely to have a quiet room.

nyc511

I travel solo and I almost always book the inside cabin because of the 100% supplement. Through the years I have been on the lower decks and the upper decks and there is not much difference in the cabins. The lower decks are actually better if someone has a problem with seasickness as there is less movement there than on the upper decks so you have a smoother ride. I usually just take the guarantee and go wherever they put me and I have not had a problem. My trip that leaves tomorrow has me on deck 10 midship. You don't spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway, so I get along fine without a window. Sometimes with the guaranteed inside booked, I have been upgraded to a oceanview cabin, but that's only happened a couple of times. Good Luck

I have absolutely no problem booking an inside - the complete darkness with the lights out is incredibly conducive to a good night's sleep. Also, as others have pointed out, a lower deck would give you a more stable ride than an upper deck.

Perhaps one negative of Deck 4 might be that at some ports when the ship is docked, Deck 4 is often used for disembarking the ship. That leads to a lot of foot traffic and long queues in the corridor, which means a lot more noise than usual. If that's a factor for the OP, then you might want to avoid Deck 4. To me, it's not a big deal.

I have sailed almost exclusively in inside cabins, and I usually try to avoid the lower decks for exactly the reason Johnql suggested. I don't want to be trying to open my door on a port day to a stream of disembarking passengers. That's it, though. Otherwise I really don't care where my cabin is deck-wise. The stairwells and elevators are in exactly the same place on every deck, so the only difference between decks with respect to dining and entertainment is a few seconds of up or down. :)

Typically the lower middle cabins are the cheapest, your TA wanted a better commission.

Typically the lower middle cabins are the cheapest, your TA wanted a better commission.

My thought precisely! We sailed on an inside cabin deck 4 on Gem a couple of months ago....yes there is "traffic" on port days, which was absolutely not a problem. On tender days it is actually a plus, because you walk along and join the queue, at deck 4, which is held at deck 5 until deck 4 clears after each tender....the tickets are collected at deck 5! The other benefit is no need to wait on lifts when you get back.

Presumably you know that inside cabins are identical in layout and space, apart from disabled cabins, no matter the deck. Agree with previous recommendations to go for a guarantee, which could be on any deck from 4 up.

Hamrag,

On Deck 4, any issue with staff quarters or crew work areas making noise? The deck plan shows that most of Deck 4 on the GEM is blank, usually indicating crew work areas, laundry, machine shops, etc. Thanks

We were in 4575, and there was absolutely no problem. On the deck map you will see another bank of cabins, with an "inner" corridor so if you chose any of the cabins on the main corridor side ther cannot be any crew activity behind your cabin. Actually we have been in one of the cabins at the inner corridor area, backing on to the blank area with no problem, on the Jade with identical layout.

That just made me think of my first cruise with my dad. It was a cross atlantic in 1965. We shared a room with several other strangers :eek:. Compared to that an inside room on a modern ship seems luxurious.

I never got a chance to sail on a classic ship like that, but not sure I would have liked that cabin arrangement!

We recently finished 33 days on NCL Sun on Deck 4, porthole rather than inside. I assure you there is nothing wrong with Deck 4. It's the lowest passenger deck and is 'cheap' so maybe that's why your TA cringed. She won't get as much commission as she would if you chose an inside on a higher deck.

Choose a cabin not too far from the elevator and that way you'll still be

close to everything.

I don't think that port disembarkations are done from deck 4. Most seem to be done from deck 3 instead since passenger decks rarely have a door to the outside area. Our disembarkations were from deck 3 with a few from Deck 5, the deck we'd boarded on.

I think you'll like deck 4. It doesn't get as much motion as the decks higher up.

We recently finished 33 days on NCL Sun on Deck 4, porthole rather than inside. I assure you there is nothing wrong with Deck 4. It's the lowest passenger deck and is 'cheap' so maybe that's why your TA cringed. She won't get as much commission as she would if you chose an inside on a higher deck.

Choose a cabin not too far from the elevator and that way you'll still be

close to everything.

I don't think that port disembarkations are done from deck 4. Most seem to be done from deck 3 instead since passenger decks rarely have a door to the outside area. Our disembarkations were from deck 3 with a few from Deck 5, the deck we'd boarded on.

I think you'll like deck 4. It doesn't get as much motion as the decks higher up.

On the Gem, most disembarks in ports are definitely deck 4. The cruise embarkation is generally deck 6/7.

I've been on mostly insides, as all I do is sleep, change, and shower there. I spend the rest of my time out and about the ship.

I agree that the ship rides smoothest there, especially if you are more midship than forward.

Notice, that is where the medical center is located? For good reason.

The inside is good for sleeping, as there is no low sunlight peeking in.

If you do want to see what's doing out, leave your television on the bridgecam channel. That also makes for a good nightlight, as when it's dark out, the screen is very dim.

• 2 months later...

How much noise can you hear from the hallway when people are coming and going off ship.? We will be in Bermuda for 3 days on the Gem...currently on deck 9, but thinking of switching to deck 4.

Since that seems to be the disembarking deck and we are there for 2 overnights, there will be people coming and going at all hours (possibly). How much can you hear from your cabin regarding noise from the hallways??

Thanks

Take a look at Cat G obstructed ocean view. They are all on Deck 8 Very centrally located and you get some natural sunlight. This catagory is sometimes priced only slightly higher than inside cabins. I usually book insides on deck 8 or 9 or the Cat G's on deck 8

Enjoy your cruise..

Archived