CC forums are about to get a revamp!

Texas Teen

Do you think revamping the forums is a good idea?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think revamping the forums is a good idea?

• NO; I don't like the format of the Independent Traveler forums
    • YES; I agree with changing to the Independent Traveler's format
    • I don't Care as long as Cruise Critic has a forum!

* Please read this post and tour the Independent Traveler's website before voting! *

I happened to glance at the "announcements" section above where the sticky threads are yesterday, and saw an announcement from LauraS that said "New Version of the Forums: Coming Your Way & 'Happy Thanksgiving Note" !!!! :eek: Apparently, the new CC forums are going to be like the Independent Traveler's current forums! LINK

I don't think it will be the end of the world when CC changes to the new format, but I don't like it, either. I think the new forums look ugly and wierd!

I dont think you will have that much to fear. Based on my experience, it seems to me that all they are doing is updating the forum software on the server to a newer vBulletin version . Everything will look the same if they update the current forum theme, chances are you wont notice the new backend changes :cool:

While I don't like the new look/forum, I am sure I will get used to it. My question is - will they have a separate CCL site, as they do now? I just "glanced" at the new forum site, and didn't see one - but I really didn't look too hard. And will this site be magically transformed to the new site, so I don't have to go searching for it? Hmmmm:rolleyes:

I don't like the new format. When I was a computer programmer I said "Don't fix it if it is not broken!". I don't know why management feels that they have to change a web site when it is used and people like it. When Yahoo went to their new format we switched to Google for our home page. I hope CC pays attention to this survey before they spend too much money changing it.

I don't like the new format. When I was a computer programmer I said "Don't fix it if it is not broken!". I don't know why management feels that they have to change a web site when it is used and people like it. When Yahoo went to their new format we switched to Google for our home page. I hope CC pays attention to this survey before they spend too much money changing it.

I agree 100%. Another board that I used to frequent daily changed their board setup/appearance, and it is basically now dead. Please reconsider. A few tweeks might be OK, but don't fix what isn't broken, as this previous posted said.

I like it JUST THE WAY IT IS-easy to navigate and I come here to read about CRUISING not all the other nonsence that the other site looks like it will interject..jmho.I have seen it all before-change is NOT always good:confused:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If parts are broke, fix only those parts! "Newer and better" ain't necessarily newer or better... i.e.: I'm an old dog, don't try to teach me new tricks - I'm having enough trouble remembering the ones I already know. :mad:

I voted "No".

I like the layout and simplicity of using this website...with one exception, that being the timing out when writing a long review or a long response in a thread! :( :mad:

Maybe add something so that we could save those long items right on the reply screen or show that you've been logged out and need to save before logging back in. It's sooo easy to forget about the logging out when busy thinking about a response :o.

Didn't like the new site set up. Too hard to read. The colors are too light and it didn't flow together as well as the current forum does.

I'm a member of Las Vegas Advisor and they were recently changing their forums because the current one can be too slow for the number of users. However, it was even worse than the one CC is going to. Many of us complained and they are now postponing the change and continuing to look at other options. I gave them CC as an example of a good set up. I especially like the way you can highlight a thread title and get a little more info on what the thread is about (at least that's the same on the new CC forum). LVA doesn't have that feature and their new forum didn't either.

I'm not on Facebook or any other social network and I don't like the look of that type of forum.

Ew. Not a fan either.

About the only things I don't like about this site as-is would be that you can't delete your posts or even edit them for more than about 3 seconds after you post them.

Oh, and PM capabilities would be great so there wouldn't be so many nuisance threads ("Oh, BTW, jimbob, totally off topic, but where'd you get the hat you're wearing in that picture?")

FYI:

I just searched the "new" site for "Cruise Boards", and found a thread that

asked, - "where's the Cruise Boards?"

The reply was a posted link to - right back here, at Cruise Critic.

Temporary link???

Wherever y'all go, - I'll find you.

They took down the announcement about changing to the newer forum format the other day, and I haven't found anything new about the change since. I hope it means that they've decided against changing the format! LauraS' announcement (before it was taken down) said that the new version of CC would look like the Independent Traveler's forums, which (to me) don't look very good.

(LINK to the Independent Traveler's website)

Archived