When to apply ship bag tags?

rjg41

Quick question. Docs say to apply ship bag tags before leaving home. We'll be flying(arranged by Celebrity) first to our port and then transfered. Will applying the tags at home be a problem with the airline? My inclination is to apply them when we arrive. Thanks.

i recently cruised out of vancouver and if you put on your tags before you fly you dont pick up your bags in vancouver celebrity does it all it will save you hassle at the airport

i asked them how they knew if someones bags didnt show up and they said they cross reference them so no worries

i wont know about other airports though

i recently cruised out of vancouver and if you put on your tags before you fly you dont pick up your bags in vancouver celebrity does it all it will save you hassle at the airport

i asked them how they knew if someones bags didnt show up and they said they cross reference them so no worries

i wont know about other airports though

Maybe I'm dense this morning, but how would Celebrity know how many bags you put on the plane? You could be 1 short and Celebrity wouldn't know you were missing a bag until you told them on the ship.

We always put our tags on after we get them off the carousel at the airport. Then we know they all arrived --and if they didn't, could make a claim with the airline. Otherwise, how would you know if it was the airline or the cruiseline who misplaced your bags?

I used to think I should put them on after collecting bags at the terminal in Ft.Lauderdale, until, we had some of our bags delayed. Celebrity sent a representative to the airport to wait for the next plane to come in and collected our bags for us. It would have been far easier for them to collect them had our tags been on the bags before we left home. They did this even though we did not book our airfare through Celebrity...one more reason to love this cruise line. We got our bags just before sailing without the worry of possibly missing the sail away. I now attatch the tags always, before I leave home, also I attatch a very bright tag to all of my pieces to make them easy to find.

The same thing happened to us when sailing out of San Juan. Our luggage got delayed and we did not have our Celebrity tags on them. But Celebrity hunted them down and we got them 10 minutes before a 11PM sail away.

You only have to have your bags missing/delayed once and you will learn to put them on before flying out.

Now if we fly to a port, the tags go on before we fly. :D

Roy

Since I always pre night, I attach the tags before leaving for the pier. I usually have more than bags than tags, so have to get additional tags at the pier.

I also have bright pink luggage and cruise critic luggage tags to easily indentify my bags for debarkatiion.

We booked our trip last May, and can you believe that everything that can go wrong has this week.

My son came down with the flu (he's not cruising), so now my DH and I have to take tamiflu for 5 days. Keeping our fingers and toes crossed that we don't get sick.

For once, my DH was going to leave his cell phone and laptop home. Now we learned he is up for a major promotion, and has to call NY on Tuesday from the Dominican Republic. Hope we can get phone service.

Of all the weeks for this to happen.

Wish us luck...

Mari

We put ours on b/f leaving home and have never had a problem. I guess the only problem would be if they got torn thru the air travel -- which we all know that could happen. I know in Jan., in San Diego.......there were people trying to check their luggage at the port and did not have on their tags and it did hold up things quite a bit. The luggage checkin there was somewhat disorganized at that port for some reason. The checkin to board was fine.

In the past I never put them on until after I pulled my bags from the baggage carousel. This is because we take our own taxi to the piers, and we don't want to confuse things by having a cruise line agent pull our bags before we find them ourselves. Also, mom & I travel from different airports on opposite sides of the country, so she doesn't even have physical posession of the tags or anything until she sees me at the airport.

We always attach ours BEFORE leaving home!

If they are torn when we claim them at the carousel, the X representative always has additional. We've never had any torn, but have checked one of our two carry-ons with the tag from the X Rep. (You just write your cabin number/name on that tag! )

No problem and it makes it easier if your luggage doesn't fly the same time you do! :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I always attach my cruise tags before leving home, for the reason that if a bag gets misplaced the air line can call the cruise line - no good them calling my home address when I am not there.

I also put the cruise tags on my carry on luggage, - this does mean that other air passengers can if they so wish say "hi" knowing I am going "their way"

You only have to have your bags missing/delayed once and you will learn to put them on before flying out.

Putting your tags on your bags is not the only to ensure your bags catch up with you. I always put my itinerary in an open pocket on my bag. That way the bags will find me whether I leave from the airport to the ship or if I stay at a hotel pre-cruise. If you are staying at a hotel pre-cruise, do you want your bags showing up at the hotel or at the pier a day or two early rather than being sent to the hotel?

I was on a cruise site today (which turned out to be mostly for Carnivale),but it had this question answered there.It said have it filled out before you leave home and then actually put them on there (and they have more available if you need).But one tip they gave was...put copies,before you leave home, of all of this info plus your deck/room #..even your port days and times INSIDE your luggage.Just in case one gets knocked off.

Archived