"Formal Dress" Interpretation

priddiscats

We are departing on our first Princess Cruise next week (Caribbean Princess). I am loathe to pack a suit or buy/rent a tux. Instead I would like to appear at the formal nights in a dark coloured blazer, slacks, collar and tie. Will the maitre d'e accept me.

We are departing on our first Princess Cruise next week (Caribbean Princess). I am loathe to pack a suit or buy/rent a tux. Instead I would like to appear at the formal nights in a dark coloured blazer, slacks, collar and tie. Will the maitre d'e accept me.

You will be fine.

Pay no heed to the naysayers. :(

I dressed in a similar way on our last cruise, no problems. Didn't feel underdressed or overdressed (didn't feel like wearing the tux I had hanging for our wedding later in the week). Have fun! :D

We went with sports coats and dress shirts with ties on our Alaskan cruise. We were dressed better than many of the male passengers, but it's decidedly on the lower end of dressy. But it was great not to have to pack tuxedos.

We'll be back to full formal wear on our Island Princess cruise later this month. We're flying Southwest and won't have to pay for an extra piece of luggage.

Perfect!

A tux weighs the same as a pair of slacks and a blazer unless you wear it.I am going on a 4 day coastal and taking my tux. I thought about the Blazer and slacks but why?
The difference for us was that we were able to take the sports coats without another pair of slacks and without a pair of black shoes. Our luggage for a 7-night cruise plus two nights beforehand in Seattle was just a suitcase and a rolling garment bag.

We cross-packed the bags. The suitcase held our shorts, T-shirts, polo shirts, underwear, socks, and Dopp kits, and his tennis shoes and sandals. The garment bag held our dress shirts, slacks, sports coats, ties, and my tennis shoes and sandals. I can wear DH's shirts and he can wear mine, but his pants are too big in the waist and too short for me.

The suitcase was almost at the 50-pound limit. The garment bag wasn't but it would not have held another couple of pairs of shoes.

We went with sports coats and dress shirts with ties on our Alaskan cruise. We were dressed better than many of the male passengers, but it's decidedly on the lower end of dressy. But it was great not to have to pack tuxedos.

We'll be back to full formal wear on our Island Princess cruise later this month. We're flying Southwest and won't have to pay for an extra piece of luggage.

But that being said, dress on Alaskan itineraries has always been a tad (OK A BIG TAD) more relaxed than other cruise destinations.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived