High priority re: Passports!!!

I went to the Travel Agent to make the booking...my husband was not with me, unfortunately. If he would have been this probably would not have happened.

And in response to Greghouseo; No, she did not mention Passports at all. I admit as a traveller I do not have a lot of travel experience, that's why I go to a Travel Agent, and if the Travel Agent is not up to par, or has an "off" day that can cause problems. The purpose of my posting is to prevent this from happening to anyone else, as obviously, mistakes can happen.

I have personally found it interesting, informative and helpful reading other Cruiser's posts on CruiseCritic.

H.

Good news!

Our E-tickets just arrived (less than the expected 72 hours) with correction made and no mention of penalty fees :)

Thanks everyone for your comments!

H.

If your passport has your middle name spelled out, I would get the rickets changed. It's not a problem with Royal, but my airline said it was good I called because the TSA would have prevented me from going through security, and I would have had to go to the ticket counter to get boarding passes reissued in my full name.

My passport has my middle name spelled out....my drivers license has only my middle initial, and my airline boarding passes usually just have first and last name. (I understand that soon we will have to provide our entire middle name on airline reservations.) Can't even remember what the heck was on my cruise docs!

My daughter has a hyphenated last name and when we recently cruised on RCCL, her boarding pass only had the first part of her last name on it. I called the cruiseline and they said it was alright, that they had her whole name on record and the their system didn't allow for a hyphenated name???

Anyway, we had not one problem boarding the ship and I have never had any problems or even any questions at all about the middle name/middle initial issue....flying, cruising, border crossing, etc.

When I went for my Nexus pass(to cross the border between USA and Canada), the agent asked if I brought my marriage license!!!! NO!! I have been married for 35 years and have had my current name way longer than my maiden name....So he says..well just bring it in sometime! Yikes!

Rules are different all over!! LOL

I have never used my birthname either (ever, it is horrible) but I know what is on my passport and when I book a cruise, a ferry trip, a train ticket or airfare I know I have to put that name down.

I just don't understand how someone can overlook something as essential as their name in this day and age.

LOL! I agree! My DH's name is Charles, but he would never think of putting Chuck (which is what everyone calls him) on any documents....any more than I would put Sue, or Suzy instead of my name Susan.

Just wanted to say that I am glad I read this thread!

The first name is spelled Kelley on my passport, birth certificate and SS card. My parents told me once that they weren't sure which spelling was correct for a girl. I was taught to spell my name with just one "e" and have have done so all my life.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I did call Royal Caribbean this morning. The 10 minutes spent on the phone correcting the spelling of my name on my booking and with C & A was well worth it. I would have died if I got to the port next month and been denied boarding over one stupid letter "e". :mad:

All is well now!

Does anyone know if you will have a problem if your passport/id lists your middle name or middle initial but your airline/cruise docs only have first and last???

This should not be a problem-we were on Enchantment last year and I questioned my TA who then asked RC representative because our passports list middle initial, their Sea Pass information did not include middle initial even though RC was told complete name when we reserved. RC apparently does not use middle initials, was not a problem and on our cruise booked for next May it is the same way again.

Just wanted to say that I am glad I read this thread!

The first name is spelled Kelley on my passport, birth certificate and SS card. My parents told me once that they weren't sure which spelling was correct for a girl. I was taught to spell my name with just one "e" and have have done so all my life.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I did call Royal Caribbean this morning. The 10 minutes spent on the phone correcting the spelling of my name on my booking and with C & A was well worth it. I would have died if I got to the port next month and been denied boarding over one stupid letter "e". :mad:

All is well now!

Hi Kelly,

My thoughts exactly when I realized our documents did not match....and then have our TA tell me that even one letter off in a name makes a difference, as in your case. Glad to hear that we'll all be sailing away soon!!

H.

My DH always gets snagged at port embarkation as his passport shows his legal name with the "Jr." on it. I have tried to change his profile on line to match the passport and have tried to fill out his documents with the added Jr. with still no luck. I even called customer service to have that added, but she told me the system cannot add that in.

They are their own worst enemy in this case.

I have the same problem. My passport has Jr. after my name but my RCI profile and C&A number do not. I tried to get the Jr. added and was told that the system cannot accommodate it.

When I went to check-in for our Independence cruise last February they had to call over a supervisor because of the mis-match. It was quickly fixed but she told me that I should have had the Jr. placed on my reservation. I asked her how I was supposed to accomplish that when RCI told me that they could not do it. She just smiled and said..."I don't know".

I have not quite figured out how to avoid the same issue when we cruise this coming February.

Interesting. My nephew is a "Jr" and his reservation always has it listed, right after his last name. Then again, he just started sailing. I cannot remember if they used suffixes when I worked there. Maybe there has been an update?

Maybe I will call C&A later today and see if things have changed. Unfortunately, I can just imagine them correcting my name on my C&A account and then all of my cruise credits suddenly disappear. :rolleyes:

Ok, some follow-up. I called C&A. They were able to add the Jr. to both my reservation as well as my name attached to my C&A number. So I guess things have changed. And, as of right now, when I check the website I still have all of my cruise credits!:)

The first time we cruised using our Passports, I was concerned that my cruise name, example, Nancy Smith didn't match my Passport, Nancy C. Smith. I was told that wasn't a problem as long as the passport and airline ticket matched, so far we have had no problem, as many times my husband doesn't use his middle initial, whereas I always use mine when signing checks whatever.

Oh Island lady that another thing, my husband doesn't always use his jr either, yet his passport shows it.

Ok, some follow-up. I called C&A. They were able to add the Jr. to both my reservation as well as my name attached to my C&A number. So I guess things have changed. And, as of right now, when I check the website I still have all of my cruise credits!:)

Nice to see they fixed that, I will have to have my son's account changed. Not sure if I want them to touch it though since last time they did, they messed with my husband's account and I ended up with two son's and no husband:eek:. Funny thing, I don't remember having twins and naming them the same thing.:rolleyes::p

Nice to see they fixed that, I will have to have my son's account changed. Not sure if I want them to touch it though since last time they did, they messed with my husband's account and I ended up with two son's and no husband:eek:. Funny thing, I don't remember having twins and naming them the same thing.:rolleyes::p

Trust me, I was more than a little nervous about messing with this. I would not have been surprised if my up coming cruise disappeared, my previous credits did the same, or I suddenly became my own father.... :eek:

If your passport has your middle name spelled out, I would get the rickets changed. It's not a problem with Royal, but my airline said it was good I called because the TSA would have prevented me from going through security, and I would have had to go to the ticket counter to get boarding passes reissued in my full name.

I was all in a tizzy about this very same thing two weeks ago. When you purchase a airline ticket on line from Delta the first information form you fill out lists a place for first and last names only. This the the information that shows on your confirmation and boarding passes. There is also another place on Delta's web site for TSA information, this is where you list a middle name if it appears on your official ID. This is where your name or names must match your ID. I called Delta twice and was told both times that there is not enough room to list first, middle and last names on all boarding passes and until TSA says they have to change it , you all alright just with first and last.

I also called the Cruise line and they told me the same thing. Our documents show only first and last names, they have a record showing first, last and middle that our TA provided and that is what is important.

Confusing isn't it??????

Archived