Radiance Jan 8 cruise delayed

luckey1

My Disney cruise in 2002 was canceled due to the virus(three days before the cruise)...We kept an eye on the news, because our ship had the virus on the 2 or 3 sailings before our scheduled sailing.....they cleaned the ship after each sailing, but people kept getting sick..so they canceled our cruise and did another cleaning...Since we were already in Florida visiting Mickey, we rebooked for the next week and happy to report that there was no outbreak.....I sincerly hope that they do not have a outbreak again this sailing...

I hope you mean either 1/17 or 2/19, because I'm sailing Radiance on 2/19. Hopefully all will be back to normal by then.

Sorry.....I meant to say the 2/10 sailing of the Radiance. The other sailing we are looking at is on Navigator on 2/17.

Hope they gave the ship a good deep cleaning and everyone stays healthy!

They're just so big and difficult to swallow.....

You're kidding..... right? If not, I think you'd better read the directions that come with your prescription suppositories.... you don't swallow them....:eek:

My husband and I Were on the Coral Princess southbound Alaska cruise in May 2009 just after an outbreak of norovirus on the previous northbound cruise. We were amazed at the lengths the cruise staff went to to ensure no one got sick on our cruise. From having someone stand at every dining room entrance with hand sanitizer to make sure every person use it to serving us food in the buffet dining rooms and passing out information on how to protect yourself from the virus. They even stripped and re-varnished all of the handrails on deck. To the best of my knowledge, no one got sick. I certainly would not skip a cruise due to an outbreak on the previous cruise.... you are just as likely if not more likely to get it from someone getting on YOUR CURRENT cruise as you are from someone on the previous cruise if the cruise lines are going to these kind of precautions. I am also a medical professional, and would not skip a cruise due to an outbreak on a previous cruise, but I would certainly be as vigilant about hand washing as I always am.

According to the other long thread on this topic - started by someone who was on the cruise as well - the outbreak was caused by a group who brought it back from a shore excursion in Costa Maya, and did not seek medical attention. We sailed on Radiance the cruise prior to this one, and are booked on her again in March. I have no problem whatsoever with getting on the Radiance again. In fact, if anyone wants to donate their Radiance cruise to me and my DW, we can be at the dock w/suitcases in hand as soon as she docks.;)

I have been following these 2 posting about the Noro-virus aboard the Radiance ,with much interest , as we will be aboard in 2 weeks .

I stopped following the "other" posting when it got into "why they ran out of lobster" instead.

It's crazy how these things get off topic so easily.:rolleyes:

I drink this tea everyday and I haven't had a cold in over 8 years. I used to get 2 to 3 colds every year before I started drinking the tea.

I bring it on every cruise. I will DEFINITELY be bringing extra. If people are getting sick, I want to be able to drink it a couple times a day.

If we booked the Radiance Jan. 13th on another ship, will they notify us not to board at regular time or do I just need to check the morning of the 13th?

I drink this beer everyday and I haven't had a cold in years. Also, I was on the Jan 3-8 Radiance cruise and didn't get the noro. I drank it more than a couple of times a day, though.

Tea's OK, but beer's just as effective - and more fun. :)

I drink this beer everyday and I haven't had a cold in years. Also, I was on the Jan 3-8 Radiance cruise and didn't get the noro. I drank it more than a couple of times a day, though.

Tea's OK, but beer's just as effective - and more fun. :)

Good to hear! I really don't like tea, but a nice cold beer just hits the spot!

I'm on Radiance on Thursday and will make it a point to order one as soon as I board!

I have been following these 2 posting about the Noro-virus aboard the Radiance ,with much interest , as we will be aboard in 2 weeks .

I stopped following the "other" posting when it got into "why they ran out of lobster" instead.

It's crazy how these things get off topic so easily.:rolleyes:

Actually, that isn't off topic. The "other" posting was a review of that poster's experience aboard the Radiance...which included the burst pipes and no lobster.

I was on this cruise with my 84 yr old Mom who contracted the virus on the ship and became deathly ill Thursday morning. She and was treated with shots and IV. The Medical team worked heroically all night Wednesday night and probably Thursday night as well but was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people demanding medical help.

I don't see how the problem could have been picked up in Costa Maya, because that tour was Wednesday. I personally met one man in the medical ward who said he was already violently ill Wednesday AM. The incubation period on Norovirus is supposed to be about 48 hours from what I've read. This seemed to spread awfully fast. But people weren't back from that Costs Maya tour until Wednesday afternoon, and people on the ship were already sick Wednesday AM.

There may also have been some doubt as to whether this was an ordinary Norovirus. Even young healthy people were made extraordinarily ill by it. The Captain repeatedly referred to an outbreak of Norovirus, but in later communications also referred to the possibility of a "variant of Norovirus". Young, strong, otherwise healthy people weren't just experiencing nausea and diarrhea. Some were so ill they were repeatedly passing out. Many were given IV treatment, which did help avoid the worst effects of dehydration. (At least one man needed IV treatment twice. ) Rumor had it that the Medical operation was drawing blood samples from people in the early AM Thursday. They may have been trying to ascertain exactly what they were dealing with.

As to the numbers affected, an article in the St. Pete Times claimed that 150 were taken ill. On the boat it looked more like about 10% to 15% of the population of 2800 passengers. Three people in our group of 22 were affected. In another group of about 300, I was told that approximately 40 people were affected.

I haven't encountered Norovirus before, so I've no benchmark, but this looked awfully virulent to me. I've been wondering if the virus has mutated into a nastier form.

I work on the Radiance and can assure you we've taken all steps necessary to prevent this issue from continuing. I'm sure a lot of people are concerned about the ship, but trust me, we've done above and beyond what would be expected in a situation like this. The crew of the Radiance are really incredible and are demonstrating a lot of teamwork every single day to ensure our guests are comfortable and safe from illness during this (and any other) voyage. Of course there have been trying moments for some guests (I spoke with some who were upset their luggage wasn't delivered until 10pm last night)...but seriously, everyone on the ship, in every single department, is doing everything possible to ensure a safe and healthy (and fun) vacation for those onboard.

Just saw a news story here in Tampa. They are cleaning the ship right now and working to make sure everyone has a safe trip. If you are sailing on her this week or any ship...please use the hand sanitizer located all throughout the ship. It helps you and everyone else on board.

And we can all believe what we read in the St. Petersburg Times taken from the AP "...because of the outbreak......the ship had to return to Tampa ...." Duh, the ship was coming back to make the next turnaround. Never let the facts get in the way of a good news story.:rolleyes:

So can we find the passenger that lied on their health questionnaire before boarding?

So can we find the passenger that lied on their health questionnaire before boarding?

You hit the nail on the head, this would be true in some cases. I work in a nursing home and we're dealing with Noro right now. In fact we're dealing with it twice in 3 weeks. You can get Noro over and over and the problem is, you don't know who's next as it hits so suddenly. Friday night I was talking with a co-worker from Housekeeping and 45 minutes later she came back wearing a mask telling me she was being sent home because she had just vomited and was starting a fever. Noro can be airborne so staff are wearing masks and only working one wing (no floating). So a passenger may have felt well boarding, not knowing they were a ticking time bomb.

I work on the Radiance and can assure you we've taken all steps necessary to prevent this issue from continuing. I'm sure a lot of people are concerned about the ship, but trust me, we've done above and beyond what would be expected in a situation like this. The crew of the Radiance are really incredible and are demonstrating a lot of teamwork every single day to ensure our guests are comfortable and safe from illness during this (and any other) voyage. Of course there have been trying moments for some guests (I spoke with some who were upset their luggage wasn't delivered until 10pm last night)...but seriously, everyone on the ship, in every single department, is doing everything possible to ensure a safe and healthy (and fun) vacation for those onboard.

A big THANKS to the Radiance crew and staff who were working around the clock to do what they could to slow down the virus. It was a lot of extra work for them and they didn't get to go ashore, they had to stay on board in Cozumel to wipe down everything in sight and serve food in the Windjammer. I remarked to one of the crew serving salad that I was sorry they didn't get any time off, and he replied "It is a pleasure to serve you, and I am glad to do so" with a smile.

Now that is service, and we really appreciated the friendly attitude, even though some of the passengers can be quite rude in this situation. We didn't get sick, nor did we observe or know anyone who did, but I am sure it was a miserable experience. Still, the crew managed to make the remainder of the cruise a good experience for the rest of us. Thanks...

It's been reported (confirmed?) that 50 people on an excursion in Costa Maya ate infected food. Since we don't submit the health questionnaire every time we board the ship, no one lied.

People seem pretty irrate at these 50 people who "avoided reporting their symptoms", but I disagree. These people probably spread this thing around before they even realized they had it.

Any news on if this outbreak has been contained? We are booked on the next Radiance trip leaving on the 13th. I have been watching these boards faithfully, hoping not to see any posts indicating people are getting sick again. My 15yo ds broke his collarbone 5 days ago snowboarding, he is having a difficult time just standing straight (having alot of discomfort). Its a hard discission as a parent to think about taking him on a trip that could make him become violently ill. I will keep watching these boards til we leave Thursday knowing no news is good news.

It's been reported (confirmed?) that 50 people on an excursion in Costa Maya ate infected food. Since we don't submit the health questionnaire every time we board the ship, no one lied.

People seem pretty irrate at these 50 people who "avoided reporting their symptoms", but I disagree. These people probably spread this thing around before they even realized they had it.

Just like taking our shoes off at the airport, IMO the health questionnaire is a total waste of time and is simply there for liability reasons.

Who is going to travel to a cruise terminal for a trip planned months or years in advance, paid thousands of dollars, and 15 minutes before boarding, admit they might be sick enough to not be allowed on the ship?

Just like taking our shoes off at the airport, IMO the health questionnaire is a total waste of time and is simply there for liability reasons.

Who is going to travel to a cruise terminal for a trip planned months or years in advance, paid thousands of dollars, and 15 minutes before boarding, admit they might be sick enough to not be allowed on the ship?

Not a single person. Guaranteed.

Gina

What excursion, where did they eat? Thanks.

I don't think the exact tour has reported. I'm curious myself if it was an RCCL excursion or independant.

I read it in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1333679&highlight=radiance

I have to say right now Im so upset the only thing I can possibly say about Royal is that the Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship. Most of the employees are really good. I was one of the passengers who fell ill. Apparantly we were told that 50 guests went on an excursion in Costa Maya and brought it back on board. They DID NOT seek medical attention right away so it spread pretty quickly...

We were also aboard the Radiance of the Sea last week for the trip with the noro virus. We did not become sick, thank goodness. One of our tablemates who did visit the doctor's, said the medical staff indicated they traced the cause back to one of the excersions to the ruins where lunch was included in the excersion. Everyone of the passengers who took that tour became ill. Even the customs people did not want to touch anything we had touched. They did not even look at our passports and only took the customs forms by the corners and put them in a file.

The crew has done a fantastic job of making sure this illness did not make it's way onto our sailing. No reports of noro that myself of anyone in our group have heard of. It was definitely a different cruise with the late boarding, no menus in the dining room, etc but we had a great cruise. I'll post a review soon...

The crew has done a fantastic job of making sure this illness did not make it's way onto our sailing. No reports of noro that myself of anyone in our group have heard of. It was definitely a different cruise with the late boarding, no menus in the dining room, etc but we had a great cruise. I'll post a review soon...

So, still no menu touching? What about the windjammer? Are they still serving in there or do passengers get their own food.

Gina

Thank you for taking the time to post this reassurance so quickly! We are leaving on Monday for 5 glorious nights. I'll post when I get back too. We will all be fine I'm sure. I can stand to have someone read the menu to me! haha One more thing I don't have to do for myself while on my cruise. What a shame. :cool:

Archived