Attire for the week.... carry on only?

1stTimer02/2011

DH is wondering what acceptable attire for the week would be...

We like the idea, and the challenge, of using carry-on luggage only to pack, as to cut down on time at the airport...

Is it possible to live out of carry-on luggage for 1 week??

Is there anything specific "clothing wise" we HAVE to bring with us, even though its "Freestyle" cruising??

Ideas and suggestions are welcome please!

Sailing on the Spirit 02/27 - 03/06

if there is any cruise line that you could do it --this is the one--but I wish I knew how one does this--I am always inspired by the people that can do this--I am carrying more bags that I care to--wife needs her shoes

We like the idea, and the challenge, of using carry-on luggage only to pack, as to cut down on time at the airport...

Is there anything specific "clothing wise" we HAVE to bring with us, even though its "Freestyle" cruising??

It is possible with mix and match lightweight clothes that you can wash in the sink or take advantage of the laundry special on the ship.

For guys, I recommend a pair of long non-denim pants, and a shirt with sleeves and collar (a polo works well). That will get you into ANY dining venue on NCL, ANY time.

The rest of your clothes can be "whatever" - jeans, shorts, tees, etc. I usually pack one pair of lightweight cargo pants plus two "safari" style shirts for shore wear, plus a pair of black casual pants with two polo shirts for the evening aboard ship. Add a pair of shorts and a couple of tees and I'm good to go in carry-on style.

I travelled for 6 weeks, through 10 countries, and 2 climates....using carry-on only.

I only travel carry-on.

I'm sure you can manage. :)

Of course you can do it! Its only 7 days and you can wear home what you wore to board. One pair of "Docker" type pants and a polo shirt will get you into ANY dining venue and you wear them every evening changing up the shirt, no one will notice and you can always ask for an iron to press them if they are wrinkled, or get the tencel fabric which is light and more wrinkle resistant. Just pack 5 shirts and a couple of shorts and you'll be fine. If you're a slob I'd pack some "stain stick" things and rinse out in the sink.

SHOES: wear a nice fisherman sandal or just bring a nice walking shoe and a pair of flip flops and you're set. Wear the shoes on shore, at the airport, and at dinner. Flip Flops are easy and lightweight to pack, double as spa shoes, pool shoes, and cabin slippers.

I went to school in Europe of a year and had to pack everything I needed for that year in a regular 21 inch suitcase and a smaller bag. (This was before wheeled luggage for the masses so it had to be something I could carry from trains to living quarters without stretching my arms. :D) I managed fine.

I definitely think it can be done, especially if you don't intend to dress up (no suits, jackets, gowns, fancy shoes, etc.). Also, if you're not flying to the port, the size of your carry-on can be bigger than what airports typically categorize as carry-on.

Sorry, I thought you were only asking about your DH.

Women can do this too! A nice skirt, or capris for dining that MATCH your tops. Make sure everything matches and be worn a couple of times. I had some linen capris in a brown and a rust color and 5 shirts that went with both of those, and a light khaki colored pair of pants that were in a dressier fabric and the tops matched those as well. I took a skirt for a dressier skirt and a nice top for a specialty restaurant and a pair of dress pants (which I ended up never wearing). This was for a 14 day transatlantic. I didn't do it all in a carryon, but just under a carryon size because I had a lot of stuff for the roll call to bring as well.

Beach coverup/sarong (lightweight and packs small) again, one sandal that was fairly dressy but could be good for walking in port and the flip flops for general purpose footwear.

The key is to bring things that all coordinate, wearing items more than once and the outfit changes if you change up the pants and the tops. Besides, no one really notices day after day what you are wearing.

if there is any cruise line that you could do it --this is the one--but I wish I knew how one does this--I am always inspired by the people that can do this--I am carrying more bags that I care to--wife needs her shoes

I wish I knew how one did this as well. I am headed to Vegas for 3 nights in Feb and I am trying to figure out how I could carry on for that trip. No way I could make it for a 7 day cruise.

shoes are what can kill you. Here's what I'd recommend:

• "carry-on" more like a smaller rolling suitcase. Bigger than what the airlines allow in their overhead bin without going crazy.
  • Wear your bulkiest clothes on and off the ship. This means wear your sneakers (used for most hiking around), Jeans and sweatshirt, and carry your jacket around your waist. More on you, less in the bag
  • Pack only 1 or two pairs of slacks. Tan dockers are a staple, and maybe a second pair if you are going to visit a lot of specialty restaurants. It's amazing how many times you can wear your jeans and have them not look or be "dirty" if that's your style.
  • 4-5 polo or hawaiian shirts for the evenings, depending on your style. They will go with your jeans and dockers, and give you a new look each night without having to bring a lot of different pants.
  • Dress shoes...like loafers...to wear instead of sneakers with your dockers
  • flip flops or other sandals (I wear Reefs). Easy to pack flat, and what you'll wear 90% of time on the ship
  • 3 pairs of shorts and 4-5 t-shirts, and of course, undies if you're not going commando.
  • General accessories.. a belt, your medication, bar of soap, power strip, etc. that rounds out the accessories

I spent a week in Amsterdam packed like this without any problem, and I was in work meetings several of the days. I also had it all in a Travelpro rollaboard that fits in the overhead bin.

As for my cruising experience, it didn't work out this way due mainly because of my lovely DW and DD. We had a suitcase full of shoes, and quite frankly, I was just going to dig myself into a deep hole with them if I kept pushing the "travel light" mantra. Turns out 75% of the shoes were never worn.

The posters here are so inspiring. I am actually embarrassed by the amount and size of baggage we have to carry. I always say it's because I am a bigger guy and my clothes are bigger.. LOL.

Honestly, I am one of those people who could not care what others wear as long as their body is covered appropriately for the venue and their clothes are clean. I could have dinner with people in jeans and a tshirt in any restaurant on the ship and it not bother me one bit. It's just how I am. As far as myself, I love wearing dockers and a polo for dinner so that is usually what I pack. Usually a blue pair, tan pair, olive pair and then tons of shirts to go with those. I will usually put my dockers on just for dinner and then go and change into jeans for the rest of the evening. That way I can wear them twice to dinner and not feel weird about doing it. Shirts, I wear them once and they go into the dirty clothes bag. I'm just kind of weird I guess about underwear, but on a trip where you might would get up and go to breakfast, then go back to the room to change into a bathing suit to go to the pool, then after go back and take a shower and get dressed again, etc..well.. each time its a fresh pair of underwear for me. Only reason I mention this is that usually means a carry on sized suitcase just for my underwear and socks. Please no flaming for what all I carry, it's just how I am. I am envious of those who can make it on one carry on for a week.

Here are a few things I do to pack light. I am a female, but some tips could apply.

Ok, the things that people remember are tops. So I take more tops than bottoms. Tops are easily rolled up tight and fit into that front section most suitcases have. I have fit over a dozen tops easily, from casual tshirts to dressier tops. The inside of the suitcase is for shoes, pants, swimsuit, pjs and undies.

I take pants for half as many days and have those laundered by the cruise line. The key is to send them asap, cuz it might take a day or two to get them back.

I pack light with toiletries and makeup. Either travel size or those packets.

Those go into my "purse". Along with electronics, documents, ID, etc.

Read the airlines rules. You can carry on things in addition to your 1 carry on bag and personal item, some are a book oragazine, pillow, blanket, coat, etc. Do this to board the plane. Then take out a folded tote and once you are on the plane you can assemble them in there. No one checks the number of bags when you get off the plane.

Now, here's my favorite travel light tip. I choose an outfit for the flight out that still looks nice but I am tired of and ready to get rid of. I wear it and discard it. It's like I am starting out fresh the first morning of the cruise minus one outfit to pack for the return. I also take my oldest pair of tennis shoes, clean them up real good for the cruise and then leave them. Right now I am looking at my shoes and I have 9 pairs of tennis shoes. I wouldn't miss one pair.

I buy books at yard sales and Dollar Tree. Read them on the ship and then donate them to the ship library.

Oh, I pack one or two skirts which I roll up in a coil, the kind that don't have to be ironed. I found a pair of dressy black heeled sandals several years ago at Kohl's. I call them my "vacation shoes". They take up almost no room in the suitcase. I don't seem to wear themexcept at vacation time.

Happy travels!

Great tips! Might I also add that I will normally bring a nylon carry bag, similar to a duffel, that folds up small enough to fit in a coffee cup but can be used to carry any gifts/souveniers you bought off the ship. Also, make sure to take full use of the insides of things, like cramming underpants and socks into packed shoes or baseballs hats (another "must have" for me)

Keep in mind this is in addition to my backpack, in which I put my bathing suit, ipad/laptop, medications, etc.

Most of my travels involve just a carry-on bag...the only reason I ever need to check bags for cruises is because I am taking my dive gear...substantially more mass involved with all that stuff...but otherwise, a week in a carry-on bag (or one and a "personal item" as allowed by the airlines) is easy to do for one week.

Happy Cruising!

Depends on where and when you are going. We always manage, matter of fact even a 10 day Europe with only carryon almost. All our formal and shoes was in the one check-in.

Warm weather you can easily make it as long as you or the SO aren't fashion obsessed and okay with recyling and mix/match.

YOu can always wear your bulky stuff or as carryone like your dress/formal ( not black tie ;) ) That saves room for the smaller stuff.

I tried that on a 4 night on the Sky. One concern is the airline losing your luggage especially if you have to change planes. What I found was that I had to send clothes to the laundry (costly) even on a 4 nighter. I packed a larger suitcase for a 7 day and ran into that problem. I have to rethink what I take and utilize the bargain day that they give for laundry, "All that you can get into a laundry bag for about $24". I like to take a jacket and tie for one dress up night whether i do it or not, I have the option. I will look at some of the tips listed by other posters and take advantage of that. Good luck.

I can't figure out what everyone who says they can't possibly pack in a carry on is taking along! On both of our last two cruises, we have come home with at least one piece of clothing that hasnt' been worn.

Terry, like you I am a big guy (six seven and 320lbs) so your bigger guy excuse isn't gonna cut it!:D One thing that I think helps is I usually plan my clothes so that I wear a clean shirt for dinner and then that is my "daytime" shirt for the next day. Like someone else mentioned, I usually take one or two pairs of kahki's and two or three pairs of shorts and wear each more than once. The biggest issue like someone else said is shoes. I usually take a black, suede, slip on "Stechers" that do double duty with the long pants for dinner or as my sports shoes for those occasions when I make it to the gym.

You know.. one tip for packing I just thought of that is SO important if you travel as a couple. If you are taking two check in suitcases, be sure and pack 1/2 of each of your clothes in each suitcase. That way if a piece of luggage is lost, you both still have some clothes available. 8-)

And Clay.. I guess you are right.. ehehhe.. I will just have to think of another excuse..LOL

The posters here are so inspiring. I am actually embarrassed by the amount and size of baggage we have to carry. I always say it's because I am a bigger guy and my clothes are bigger.. LOL.

Honestly, I am one of those people who could not care what others wear as long as their body is covered appropriately for the venue and their clothes are clean. I could have dinner with people in jeans and a tshirt in any restaurant on the ship and it not bother me one bit. It's just how I am. As far as myself, I love wearing dockers and a polo for dinner so that is usually what I pack. Usually a blue pair, tan pair, olive pair and then tons of shirts to go with those. I will usually put my dockers on just for dinner and then go and change into jeans for the rest of the evening. That way I can wear them twice to dinner and not feel weird about doing it. Shirts, I wear them once and they go into the dirty clothes bag. I'm just kind of weird I guess about underwear, but on a trip where you might would get up and go to breakfast, then go back to the room to change into a bathing suit to go to the pool, then after go back and take a shower and get dressed again, etc..well.. each time its a fresh pair of underwear for me. Only reason I mention this is that usually means a carry on sized suitcase just for my underwear and socks. Please no flaming for what all I carry, it's just how I am. I am envious of those who can make it on one carry on for a week.

Terry,

I too am envious of the people that can pack for a week using a carryon. Clay and I purchased a specific line of luggage since it can be hooked together and we look like we are pulling a "line of train cars"! So we are forced to fly first class or pay the extra baggage fees. Hard as I try I can't seem to downsize the amount of clothes we bring with us.

Sherri and Clay

So....without being attacked or having judgement thrown upon me: Can my husband get away with tan cargo shorts and a polo at the dining venues aboard NCL? I don't want anyone scowling at us, but after several cruises not interested in dressing up too much. We also will have a 10 1/2 month old with us and simply want to be COMFORTABLE.

As for the Original topic I did finally manage to travel with a carryon only on our last trip to Vegas. Unfortunately I have never found a way to do it on a 7 day cruise :( I am going to do my best to pack as light as possible for me this time as the babies goodies will take up most of the luggage.

Good luck to you though, hope you can find a way to do it!

So....without being attacked or having judgement thrown upon me: Can my husband get away with tan cargo shorts and a polo at the dining venues aboard NCL? I don't want anyone scowling at us, but after several cruises not interested in dressing up too much. We also will have a 10 1/2 month old with us and simply want to be COMFORTABLE.

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

Archived