My Vegan Experience on the RCCL's Allure of the Seas

I chose to put this on the main Royal thread since I think many things would apply across the fleet. It was overall a positive experience and we certainly did not go hungry!

I recently completed my first cruise as a vegan on Royal’s Allure of the Seas along with my 18 year old daughter who is also vegan. My 15 year old daughter is a vegetarian and my 13 year old son and my husband are anything goes types of eaters :) We had all cruised before but not since being vegan and I was very nervous we’d be foraging at the windjammer making salads all week. I did quite a few searches before going and had some faith we’d be just fine but I wanted to share our experience for any other vegans cruising Royal who are concerned since my experience may help.

Just before 60 days before leaving I emailed the special request department and received the expected answer that they do not specifically accommodate vegan diets but they do have soy milk available and that the waiters in the MDR and Windjammer would be able to help specify which items were vegetarian, etc.

We flew into FLL the night before our cruise and went to Whole Foods to grab a few packs of single container soy milks to have on hand as back-up if needed and some crackers and cookies since we knew vegan desserts would be non-existent. In a humorous twist the soymilk made my daughter’s bag end up in the naughty room but not my son’s bag and he had more in his bag – no biggie they shrugged and released us quickly from the naughty room.

Upon boarding we went straight to the maitre d in the MDR and alerted them that 2 of our party of 8 were vegan. We were met with a blank stare so we said to put down “no meat,” “no dairy” and “no egg” which as close as we figured we could simplify vegan for their notes. We then headed to the windjammer where we figured we faced our first test of survival. We found great salad fixings, plain rice, potatoes, an Indian cauliflower curry and made these plates:

IMG_1740.jpg

Some other windjammer finds throughout the week included another curry and steamed veggies and roasted potatoes:

P1000563.jpg

I loved the salad fixings, sometimes I had to hunt between a couple stations for various toppings but usually there were many. I also loved the availability of fresh nuts – I found pine nuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc.

P1000566.jpg

Breakfast was probably my favorite meal each week and I meant to try the MDR but enjoyed the windjammer options – mainly the oatmeal station! I was able to ask for a glass of soy milk at the drink station each morning that I used for my oatmeal and for my cereal. I was always able to find fresh fruit and also nuts for toppings on my oatmeal as well. I have already told my husband I missed this station and could he prepare me an oatmeal bar each morning :)

P1000484.jpg

In the MDR the first night our head waiter came over to meet us and go over the notes we had left earlier. She said she would bring us the menu each night so we could order for the next night and they could make any modifications needed. I didn’t always remember to take pictures but we had great luck with many salads on the appetizer menu and were able to have all the fruit soups modified if needed although we didn’t try for the strawberry bisque simply because we didn’t think to ask but we will next time. We also enjoyed the fruit plates, asking for no yogurt dressing when noted. One of our favorite soups though was a minestrone that they did for us without the cheese usually added.

We also asked for a plate of olive oil to dip our bread and they had that waiting each night. They always had a pasta with marinara option on the vitality menu and my daughter also sometimes just wanted plain noodles which they did. Each night they also had an indian curry based dish or one night they had an asian tofu dish that was very good. Most of the curries were naturally vegan although a few were made with cheese which they took out. Now I did grow very tired of Indian curry and it’s normally a favorite food of mine but after it every night it grew old. They also brought be a plate of steamed veggies when I asked although they brought a lot and there was no way we could finish them all so I felt bad that they went to waste. Here are some of the pictures I did remember to take!

P1000702.jpg

P1000627.jpg

P1000624.jpg

P1000609.jpg

P1000544.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

It was fun seeing the menu ahead of time each night although it is hard to know what you will want to eat the next night but with limited options it worked. I think they felt bad a couple nights in that we didn’t have any dessert options (we were surprised they didn’t have sorbet, just sherbet) so they started bringing me a nice bowl of fresh berries each night that were great!

IMG_1751.jpg

Then many in our group (we were travelling with extended family) were enjoying the after dinner shooters each night but they all seemed to have Baileys which didn’t work for me so our great bar waiter started making me custom shooters each night with no cream based alcohol – not sure this was a good thing but they were fun and I appreciated the effort!

P1000706.jpg

P1000628.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

Sorrentos has a make your own pizza option and when my husband asked the manager about the crust their main crust has egg but they did have a dairy and egg free crust that we just had to ask for when we came by. No vegan cheese options but this was a great late evening snack with sauce, sautéed spinach, roasted red peppers and tomatoes:

P1000557.jpg

One day we were growing tired with the usual offerings at lunch so I decided to head to Johnny Rockets after seeing they had their streamliner option on the at sea menu – the streamliner is a soy boca burger served with lettuce,tomato, pickles, sautéed onions and mustard and it hit the spot! My girls both had it without all the toppings but it sure was good.

P1000570.jpg

Also, on the Allure we had the additional option of Rita’s Cantina which we decided to try one day (and ended up going back again) – this option was worth the cover charge and we loved the options we could create that were vegan as their refried beans and rice were both vegan. My daughter was also able to ask for their black bean soup without the cheese and I got many orders of the grilled asparagus without the sour cream. We’ll all miss (inc the non-vegans) Rita’s on other ships:

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

Fantastic Post. I too am a vegan but when i cruised on the Oasis I switched to vegetarian (though as little as possible). I did eat the mashed potatoes and cookies and I didn't realize there was an option to get soy milk!! They did have alot of options, however, especially in the solarium. The marinera sauce with the steamed veggies is a great option also. Thanks for the pictures also, yum.

Our two sons, daughter-in-law and one of their girlfriends are Vegan. We let our TA know about the special dietary needs in advance - this helps. Our headwaiter had the head chef come to our table to discuss special meals and desserts that could be made to their needs. Each evening the headwaiter brought a menu for the following evening - they chose what they wanted plus each night grilled vegetables. They made some desserts (extras too so that they could bring them back to their rooms for late night snacks) - they all said that they were some of the most delicious desserts ever. Every night there was soy milk and lots of bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Our table looked like a buffet each evening - almost too much food. RCCL certainly went out of their way to make this one of the best family cruises ever!!!!!

I completely agree that the solarium is a fantastic place for vegan food. Everything was very healthy and delicious. Lots of imaginative salads and daily gazpacho.

A suggestion to RCI: please add tofu hotdogs to the hot dog stand on the Allure. There were many different wursts. Why not a vegetarian option?

Lenore

I agree about needing a veggie dog at the Dog House!

Cruise Wizard - your Oasis experience sounds great! Part of me wished I had asked about possible desserts but usually I was so full I was glad not to have more food but options later in the cabin would have been great :)

To the OP, thanks for your really excellent photographic review of Allure's vegan options. A couple of things...I have found it is easier to explain "vegan" by saying your diet is "plant-based." Then you don't have to list every exception to the more liberal vegetarian diet.

Another point. I have been served the strawberry bisque. A vegetarian would enjoy it. It is not suitable for a vegan because it is not fully plant-based. It does contain cream as bisque soups, even cold fruit-based ones do.

I agree with those above who suggest that the Dog House should add a veggie dog or veggie sausage dog to the menu just as Johhny Rockets has a soy-burger.

I also agree that the Solarium's day time selections are great for both vegans and vegetarians. I can't wait to go back there.

I don't like milk in any form, even soy, rice, almond, etc. so I haven't ever brought soy milk with me on board, but I am glad to know that you were able to do that and I am glad RCI was enlightened enough to allow you to do that.

My biggest challenge on cruise ships has been that chefs are fond of sprinkling cheese on so many food items. I've learned to say "no cheese" when I order almost anything (both on cruise ships and off.) It is amazing how omni-present cheese has become in our cuisine. I've learned to be pro-active on this matter and gently remind the waiter not to bring added cheese with any dish. RCI waiters are so eager to please and none have ever let me down in this respect.

Again, many thanks for your post and photos of delicious food. Also, thanks for the idea about the Sorrentos pizza. I had no idea I could get a good vegan pizza there beyond physically removing the cheese myself. Thanks so much.

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this, I am vegetarian, and vegan for the most part, but if I eat something with dairy its not the end of the world..... Im going on the Oasis in October and its nice to know that Royal Carribean has some options! :D

Great post- thank you! I'm a vegetarian with allergies and intolerances (dairy being one of them!), so I'm always looking for recent posts about vegetarian/vegan experiences. Looks like you ate well and enjoyed everything! :D

Thanks also for this thread! I've been a vegetarian for a very long time and will be taking our 14th cruise on the Oasis in August. I have to say that NCL has had some of the best vegetarian food especially their Indian food. However, even on RCLL, I honestly never felt the need to even mention it as there are still so many non meat options. I will say that breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day and love it when there is muesli available which I am addicted to if prepared properly!! I also can't wait to try the Solarium on the Oasis as I've heard good reports.

Thank you so much for the great information and the beautiful pictures. I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but I do prefer lots of fruits, vegetables, olive oil, and soy milk. I had no idea I could ask for soy milk, so I am very happy to know that!

• 6 months later...
What kind of bread did you eat?

Glad you brought this up. What the cruise line won't tell you is that the bread is made with either egg and/or dairy and the pasta is egg based. Having come back from a 7 day cruise where the pre-requisite blank stare upon hearing the word vegan happened. I didn't actually see a vegan menu until day 5. I have now ventured to stay the heck away from cruising ever again.

To add insult to injury, I was actually served a "vegan soup" that clearly had a beef base to it along with a random piece of beef. The chef swore up and down it wasn't. Now, I am pretty forgiving of an "oops" but don't lie to my face when it clearly is evident that it is what it is. Later on, they served mashed potato with butter, alleged soy milk based soup that had tons of butter in it, etc.

The Lido deck was no better. The only thing you could find was sliced fruit and raw veggies. Any other vegetable based dish was mixed with something dairy. The only way I was able to get anything "safe" to eat was by getting off at the ports of call to hunt for a vegetarian restaurant and have them make something vegan.

All in all, as a vegan, caveat emptor. I go on vacation to relax. not have to give in-services to staff who should know better and chef's who should have been trained well enough at this point.

Actually not all the breads/pasta have dairy or egg and a vast majority don't - especially when serving items that need to be served to the masses and have a longer shelf life.

We saw the ingredient list for the special crust they offered me in sorrentos and also the bread in the MDR that I ate and it was vegan.

As a vegan we do the best we can with what we know and I actually had a great experience as a vegan on both the Allure and also more recently on the Freedom and expect to again in a few days on the Liberty.

It is frustrating that many don't understand vegan and what that entails but I cut them some slack due to they are aiming to feed the masses and that language barriers and understanding add to the confusion. In some countries they infer vegetarian to mean chicken is okay, etc... so it really is always about making the best choices with limited options.

But we were able to get fruit soups without the dairy, and other modifications of vegetarian items to be vegan and thankfully most of the indian items were already vegan. And my favorite thing is the oatmeal bar in the morning with soymilk :) Already counting down to it this week :)

Also on Freedom they made us special vegan desserts 3 nights in the MDR that were very good and we really appreciated the extra effort and treats!

Wow! Thank you! Now, I know it can be done. I'm a vegetarian who occasionally eats seafood, and I have had some difficulties on cruise ships.

It appears that they were very helpful to you.

Great review so far, glad to hear it seems to be working out. While I'm not vegan or vegetarian, I read almost of Allure reviews as I can find something of value. Did you happen (maybe you will cover this) to see the food offerings just outside the health spa? There was some great food there that was no extra charge and the place was never crowded.