Monarch of the seas

Gini

Actually she has been sailing empty for months. RCCL calls her the "ghost ship" and can't figure out why no one books her. They were going to move her back to California, but decided it would be a better finanical decision to have her sailing empy from Florida.

We sailed last year 13th - 17th December 2010. For a small ship she doesn't feel small at all, the Schooner bar is much larger than the Voyager class and all the other venues are spacious as well.

I liked that the theatre had tables for drinks rather than the armrest holder on other ships which don't even hold some glasses !!:mad:.

The thing I missed was an adult Solarium area but for 4 days I could live without that;):D

Actually she has been sailing empty for months. RCCL calls her the "ghost ship" and can't figure out why no one books her.

SilentBob, how do you know? I'm trying to book a trip for the family, and the neurotic side of me is worried the ship will sell out by the time we're ready to book.

Do you know of a reliable way to check the ship's availability on a certain date? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

SilentBob, how do you know? I'm trying to book a trip for the family, and the neurotic side of me is worried the ship will sell out by the time we're ready to book.

Do you know of a reliable way to check the ship's availability on a certain date? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am praying for an awesome upgrade from the upgrade fairy on our upcoming empty sailing. :)

Pssst. "I ain't afraid of no ghosts. Ghostbusters" hee hee hee

Just a bit of ribbing on my part ... sorry. :o Unless it's a holiday or special occasion, my general experience with the Monarch is that she doesn't fill up until fairly close to the sail date as she sails basically the same itinerary each week, all year. I always just look to see how many cabins are available in certain categories on RCCL's site ... if there's a huge list, there's probably even more. If there's one, that may be it.

Just a bit of ribbing on my part ... sorry. :o

You got my hopes up that we might be able to wait until the very last minute and not have a problem getting some cabins! :)

Monarch's a nice quick-getaway ship, but I suppose the larger, newer ships in Royal's fleet (pretty much any other ship at this point) are attracting the crowds now. Better for us - hopefully we'll be able to book with no problems soon.

I just got off Monarch this morning too! We were told it was a full ship, probably because of the MLK holiday weekend. We had a wonderful time: great service, friendly staff, immaculate stateroom, good food, plenty of CocoLocos! :p

It's a small ship by today's standards, but we still had a great mini-vacation. My only complaint is... not enough hot tubs! Seriously. Two small hot tubs for all those people? Good luck finding a spot, and when you do, it's REALLY cozy. ;) Still, I would sail Monarch again in a heartbeat. Just fine for a little getaway.

We were on her 11/29 (The Monday after Thanksgiving). She sailed full...although they dropped the price about 1 or 2 months prior which did fill it up. I was watching the cabins go about 2 months prior because I was hoping for an upgrade, but no chance :( I had a great time and even with a full ship, it was not noticeable, in my opinion. I was very surprised though as traditionally that is a fairly slow tourism week due to the vacations over Thanksgiving. I think most of the sailings in December were full as well. I'm not sure if that's normal, or if the price and/or the Diamond December Events were the cause.

Question for those just recently off the Monarch, what is the weather like in Dec.-Jan in Port and on the ship. Is it warm enough to lay out in the sun? We are going Feb. 11 and I'm not sure what type of clothes to pack:confused:

Generally days are in the mid 70's - low 80's, and nights are in the mid 50's - low 60's. Water's probably too cold for much swimming.

Question for those just recently off the Monarch, what is the weather like in Dec.-Jan in Port and on the ship. Is it warm enough to lay out in the sun? We are going Feb. 11 and I'm not sure what type of clothes to pack:confused:

It can vary, so you'll need to plan to check the weather 2 or 3 days before your cruise, in order to get the most accurate forecast. Last week on the Monarch ....Friday (in port, before sailing) and Saturday (in Nassau) were cool-ish. With only a few exceptions, most people on the pool deck were either in the hot tubs, or fully dressed. Those "laying out" had jackets or were totally covered in towels, reading books or napping but not getting any sun. Even then there were VERY few of them. Sunday was warmer, and a lot of people including me were lying in the sun on the pool deck, and a handful were in the pool. There were intermittent periods of sun and clouds and I definitely felt cooler when the sun was covered by clouds.

A few years ago on another 3 night Bahamas cruise in January we had one really warm day and the other day was cooler, cloudy and drizzly.

Just back from the 1/14-1/17 sailing, and the weather was low 70's. Walking around Nassau it was fine (I was in shorts and short sleeved shirt). But I found it not quite comfortable enough for laying on the beach on Coco Cay (and I'm from Michigan where I'm used to the cold). As long as the sun was out it wasn't bad, but when the clouds covered the sun the breeze came up. My boyfriend and I headed back to the ship and grabbed a lounge chair by the pool where the side windows at least blocked the breeze.

Archived