Tuxedo with coattails

I am considering purchasing tails.Great look and splendid for "ballroom" and other dance.Might be some folks who wouldn't appreciate "high fashion",whose opinion I would care nothing about:eek:Could be quite dashing...top hat :confused: I say go for it !!

Well, firstly I think if you're comfortable in a suit/dinner jacket (what we call a Tux) or even a tailcoat, you should wear it.

However, I do think if you're going to wear a tailcoat, and if you have a female partner, she would have to wear a correspondingly-glamorous ballgown, otherwise you may be mistaken for a maitre-d'. :)

I am considering purchasing tails.Great look and splendid for "ballroom" and other dance.Might be some folks who wouldn't appreciate "high fashion",whose opinion I would care nothing about:eek:Could be quite dashing...top hat :confused: I say go for it !!

I have purchased the tails but now you have me thinking about the top hat! :D

I have purchased the tails but now you have me thinking about the top hat! :D

I'll never forget when I was a child (a very, very long time ago), a cousin of my mom's got married in NYC. We were his only family in the U.S. and my grandfather was decked out in tails and a tophat. The reception was held on a cruiseship as they were sailing to Italy for their honeymoon. No way could I remember the ship or cruiseline, but I do remember how gorgeous it was and how fancy the food was (think grand buffet). We were given a ship tour - this was back when there were classes - and we got souvenier menus for each different class.

It would be another thirty years before I actually got to sail on a cruiseship (Carnival to the Caribbean) - boy, what a letdown, but I kept at it:-)

I'll never forget when I was a child (a very, very long time ago), a cousin of my mom's got married in NYC. We were his only family in the U.S. and my grandfather was decked out in tails and a tophat. The reception was held on a cruiseship as they were sailing to Italy for their honeymoon. No way could I remember the ship or cruiseline, but I do remember how gorgeous it was and how fancy the food was (think grand buffet). We were given a ship tour - this was back when there were classes - and we got souvenier menus for each different class.

It would be another thirty years before I actually got to sail on a cruiseship (Carnival to the Caribbean) - boy, what a letdown, but I kept at it:-)

Very interesting story, thanks for sharing.

If you read my signature, its similar in that I also remember seeing my grandparents off when they crusied from NYC. The Bon Voyage parties and classic glamour were evident by everyone you saw boarding. Even in the 70s- no one was boarding in jeans and everyone looked amazing.

Sorry, off topic.:o

The Captain wore tails at last night's formal night on the Oasis.

Bet he didn't wear a Top Hat though! ;)

There is only one place where Top Hats must be worn, and that is inside the Royal Enclosure at Ascot.

You may wear your Top Hat outside if en route to a Wedding or similar function, but once indoors (or in formal photographs) it should be held under one's arm.:)

Ok this is one of those most heated debates I have seen on this board. Most of the time I read how travelers might be dressing down (no tuxedo)

I am curious....how many out there will be wearing a tuxedo with tails?

Definatly would wear

Always looked good on Fred Astaire and Clark Gable:)Course I look a bit more like Wallace Beery if you can remember him.Guess we could "dress down" to ascotts and blue blazers:D

My favorite is the ascot.

DH and I aren't that into dressing to the nines (where'd that expression come from, I wonder), but if you are....then go for it :)

Rachel

I have never seen tails or an ascot on any of our 8 cruises. We did however have a couple on our last cruise who dressed up everynight. They were older and not only did they dress up they wore the same colors. She always had a formal or semi-formal on and he wore a tux -brocade, velvet were included. They went beyond what anyone would expect and I have ever seen.

We like getting "dressed up". The DW has quite a few evening dresses to choose from. I have my black tux and a white dinner jacket (my James Bond collection).

That's awesome. I love seeing the couples that do go all out. I just don't have the energy (or wardrobe) to do it myself.

(which Bond???? my vote is for Sean Connery.)

Rachel

if you're going to wear a tailcoat, and if you have a female partner, she would have to wear a correspondingly-glamorous ballgown, otherwise you may be mistaken for a maitre-d'. :)

I agree. For the most part I really don't care what others choose to wear on a cruise. But it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see couples on formal night whose attire is grossly mismatched. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a guy wearing khakis and a shirt (no jacket, no tie) and his female partner is all dolled up in a sequined cocktail dress. It just looks odd.

Or the reverse of that, where the guy is in a tux, and the lady is wearing black pants and a sweater that maybe has some metallic thread running through it. I mean, it's a nice outfit, but it's not formal.

Wow!

Now here is one formal topic I would have never thought of!

We support the tuxedo-on-formal-nights, but I have never seen anyone wear a tuxedo with tails on board....

When we had our first cruise (on Princess), there were a couple of gentlemen on board who wore tails...but have never seen them worn on Royal or Celebrity

When we had our first cruise (on Princess), there were a couple of gentlemen on board who wore tails...but have never seen them worn on Royal or Celebrity

I would have enjoyed seeing that! Im sure there are some folks out there that would (still) enjoy wearing tails if they have them! Even when we went on our first cruise in 1987 as kids (20/24) DH wore a dark suit (didnt own a tuxedo at the time), men all wore dark suits or tuxedos. Too bad I never saw tails!

Kilts, every cruise!

Archived