Have passport--is drivers license needed?

FrannyK

You probably don't have to have it. I just leave mine in my wallet though. We used to carry a copy of our passport and leave passport in safe. I now carry passport in waterproof pouch and leave the copy in the safe??? Have heard so many different opinions on this so have gone with this routine. Like many topics here, you will get a lot of varied opions I bet.

God forbid we miss the ship, much better to have the real passport to fly anywhere, so I have heard, hope I never need to find out:-)

Many stops do not even ask you for picture ID to enter Port area, some do though.

In home ports I use my DL for ID and leave Pasport in Hotel safe, etc. Always leave one Visa Card in Ship safe too.

Guess it comes down to your choice. Big help I guess right?

You would only need the DL if you are going to be driving. Otherwise, if you lock up the DL and passport in the safe you won't risk losing either of them.

A photocopy of the passport works great for ID purposes, is very convenient to carry, and costs nothing to replace if you lose it.

You probably don't have to have it. I just leave mine in my wallet though. We used to carry a copy of our passport and leave passport in safe. I now carry passport in waterproof pouch and leave the copy in the safe??? Have heard so many different opinions on this so have gone with this routine. Like many topics here, you will get a lot of varied opions I bet.

God forbid we miss the ship, much better to have the real passport to fly anywhere, so I have heard, hope I never need to find out:-)

Many stops do not even ask you for picture ID to enter Port area, some do though.

In home ports I use my DL for ID and leave Pasport in Hotel safe, etc. Always leave one Visa Card in Ship safe too.

Guess it comes down to your choice. Big help I guess right?

DITTO! This is exactly how I feel.

Thanks all. We leave in the a.m. I think we'll bring our DL's too, just in case. They certainly don't take up any room! Can't wait to get out of here before the snow starts tomorrow!

Its supposed to start here around 10am, so that should give you plenty of time to escape.

If you got a state residency discount on your cruise, they may ask for proof of residency when you board. A passport has the state of your birth listed, which may not be the state where you currently live.

I almost didn't bring my DL a few years ago for a Med cruise. We were being dropped off at the airport and I wasn't planning on doing any driving overseas. Fortunately I tossed it in my travel bag as an after-thought (I mean tossed literally!). Sure enough, RC asked for proof of residency when we tried to board. I had to practically dump my carry-on bag to find my DL. Otherwise, I would have been charged the current cruise fare, which had gone up quite a bit (>$1000) since we had booked.

I've been asked for a photo ID a few times when trying to make a credit card purchase. In Croatia and Italy they wouldn't accept my DL as a photo ID. I had my passport in a bag tucked under my clothes so I had to try to discretely pull it out. :o In the Caribbean they are more likely to accept a DL if they request photo ID, but I normally carry my passport just in case.

It is much more convenient to carry your DL than a passport. Also, should you loose either, a DL might cost $20 to replace, whereas a passport might cost $100.

David

Agreed as to the cost ... however, can't speak for other States, but in NJ they have you go through hoops to renew or replace a DL, they call it the "Six Point Rule". You have to bring enough "official, government issued" ID as well as proof of residence to prove that you are entitled. The various proofs you bring have to add up to six points (a primary ID, a secondary ID, as well as Proof Of Address).

It's easier to register to vote in NJ then it is to get a DL ...

Michael

Have been asked for Drivers Lic when using charge card(visa-discover-master card ) also certain ports reguire it to board along with your cruise card.
I'm sure they would have accepted a passport as ID if that's what you had with you.

Well, just returned from Navigator on Monday and we never had to show our DL's since we had our passports. Didn't get off the ship in Cozumel. But, I will still bring both DL and passports in the future so that if anything comes up we'll be covered all around.

Archived