Complimentary Upgrades on Carnival

regjr13

Has anyone ever received a complimentary upgrade on Carnival? We were on HAL for the first time in Oct/Nov and were upgraded to a Junior Suite and the times I've had Grand Suites on Carnival, we’ve always had to pay an upsell charge. I am curious as to how things work on Carnival.

Nope. Never. At least I don't think so.

Well, maybe, but this was back in 2004 before I knew anything about booking cruises. For our first Destiny cruise I told our TA I wanted at least an OV. Docs came in the mail (I miss those days) and cabin said TBA. Got to port and found out we had a balcony. Could have been an upgrade from Carnival, or our TA may have upgraded us or just gone ahead and booked a balcony.

However since 2006 we have usually cruised with DB and SIL and like to have cabins next to each other, so we book specific cabins and don't even consider upgrading.

Nope, not a one despite being Platinum... not even an upsell call...

:)

Mach I am a Milestone Cruiser and just recently got my first upsell call.

My DH and I have been booking groups annually on CCL anywhere from 100-350 for educational seminars. Sometimes, our entire group has been upgraded in order to free up cheaper cabins. And we showed up at the Elation one time and we told we had a different cabin and didn't know that it was a Cat 12 or whatever they call them these days, suite. But that really isn't a random upgrade, it was more a Thank You for the business.

Nope, not a one despite being Platinum... not even an upsell call...

:)

Mach - they would not give you an upgrade because if they did everyone would assume it was because John told them to ;)

We have been cruising since 1989 and only got one upgrade call (not from carnival) - figure the averages......

Not one upgrade for us either.

But sometimes when you look-- they give free upgrades.

within the same category. Book an 8a and get a 8C

on our upcoming cruise on the pride--if you booked an 8C you got free upgrades to an 8J.

We receive them quite often since we are Loyal Carnival Customers in spite of the fact that my dear wife <gasp. smokes.

Iv done about a dozen with Carnival in the last 24 months, and except for a few gtys, which I got a few decks, nadda, not even a upsell call.

I thought the upsell fairy was calling last night, but it was the we see you have not completed your fun pass fairy. :(

If thats not loyal, I dont know what is. If you ask me, based on my experience, the chance is nadda, as in zilch of getting a free upgrade.

btw Im here in Galveston .. on the ocean, where I board Ecstasy tomorrow and 2 weeks after I get off, Im on Elation .. so if they are giving away free upgrades for loyalty, you would think me and Mach and a few others who I know cruise pretty often lately would be on it.

... now back to deciding what sounds good for dinner here in Galveston :D

Has anyone ever received a complimentary upgrade on Carnival? We were on HAL for the first time in Oct/Nov and were upgraded to a Junior Suite and the times I've had Grand Suites on Carnival, we’ve always had to pay an upsell charge. I am curious as to how things work on Carnival.

Just completed 65th Carnival cruise over 30 years. Been upgraded twice.. in those years.

Upsells are another thing....I get one of those almost every booking...

Doesn't really matter for me..I always book the cabin I want anyway and as long as it has a balcony...I'm happy.

Yes, in november on the Conquest we were upgraded from a balcony to a suite!! When we got to the room there were about 5 repairmen in it!! The tub and shower didn't work and we asked if we could have our old room back!!

LOL!! Sorry, I know it wasnt funny at the time..but your post made me laugh! :D

Oh yeah lots of times usually just inside to better inside. Once went from an inside and assigned a balcony at the dock and once from a balcony to a suite again at the dock I think.

Funny thing is I scored better free upgrades in the handful of RCL cruises than I have in 30 cruises with CCL. (Balc. to suite 2X and Inside to OV 2X)

We've been on 23 Carnival cruises, mostly since 2005, and have two more booked in the next four months and have never received a free upgrade or even an upsell call. I don't know how they pick the lucky people.

The last upgrade I got was in 2004...My DD and Bf were in an IS, as were my other DD and myself. We were upgraded twice, finally ending with an OV next to each other.

In 2003, my oldest DD (celebrating her 21st) and myself were upgraded from an IS to a 9A....we thought they made a mistake. Of course, this may have been due to a 1985 cruise on the Carnivale, that I swore I would nover cruise Carnival again.

I don't know if upgrades happen now with people willing to pay for upsells. Oh and BTW, my upgrades were always through a TA.

Anyone ever tried calling a few days ahead of sailing and asking if any free upgrades are available?

No but I called when a suite came available two days before sailing the Elation and asked if they would lower the price and they came down $1400.00. Actually, I bargained through my PVP.

On my last 2 cruises I have received a free upgrade. On the March 13, 2009 sailing of the Carnival Miracle went from balcony on deck 5 (cabin 5205) to wrap around balcony on deck 8 (cabin 8273). On the March 22, 2010 sailing of the Carnival Destiny went from ocean view on deck 1 (cabin 1264) to balcony on deck 8 (cabin 8173).

Archived