San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Leaving Mon. AM for LB and the Inspiration. Driving from SD. Any freeway issues, besides the usual, that we should know about ?

Thanx,

Pat

Monday may actually be a relatively (note that I'm not saying "light") less heavy traffic day as it's Rosh Hashanah, starting Sunday night. So many people may not be going into work. The Los Angeles school district will be taking the day off so their school buses won't be used.

It has a continental breakfast included as well as wifi..both things that are not included in the Crowne. I'm more interested if it's in a safe area to walk, and clean...the lack of a restaurant and bar is ok. There are a lot of restaurants up the hill from the Crowne. I assume those are to far of a walk from this place?

It has a continental breakfast included as well as wifi..both things that are not included in the Crowne. I'm more interested if it's in a safe area to walk, and clean...the lack of a restaurant and bar is ok. There are a lot of restaurants up the hill from the Crowne. I assume those are to far of a walk from this place?

If you are in good shape its not a bad walk from there. Just take Gaffey to 6th street and you will be in downtown. It's on a busy corner (1st and Gaffey) and not the prettiest part of San Pedro. If you are looking to save a little money try the Sunrise on Harbor. Much better part of town. Just around the corner from the Crowne and they offer Cont Breakfast and Wi-Fi. Just don't expect them to know anything about the area.

http://www.sunrisesanpedro.com/

Edited by Wineaux
added website info

Just read a lot of reviews (of the sunrise), and it doesn't get high marks. From a rat in the hall, to several people over charged on their charge card, and many checking out before they had planned too, it doesn't sound very good.

If you are in good shape its not a bad walk from there. Just take Gaffey to 6th street and you will be in downtown. It's on a busy corner (1st and Gaffey) and not the prettiest part of San Pedro. If you are looking to save a little money try the Sunrise on Harbor. Much better part of town. Just around the corner from the Crowne and they offer Cont Breakfast and Wi-Fi. Just don't expect them to know anything about the area.

http://www.sunrisesanpedro.com/

Thanks everyone.

And--we stayed at the Crown last April. It is a great place. We drove (I can't walk far) to a nice restaurant across the lot from a small motel.

I didn't like the motel, but that little restaurant is very nice. Alot of food, good prices.

We left our car at the Crown and they shuttled us back and forth from the ship---free--and we never waited for a shuttle.

Pat

Sorry, that was dumb of me LOL:

san pedro inn andsuites

Thank goodness someone else is staying at this hotel - we have an overnight stay and I booked this because of the complimentry remarks on trip advisor. We are travelling from UK - approx 20 hours in all - so we are just looking for a bed to collapse on.

Eileen UK

Thank goodness someone else is staying at this hotel - we have an overnight stay and I booked this because of the complimentry remarks on trip advisor. We are travelling from UK - approx 20 hours in all - so we are just looking for a bed to collapse on.

Eileen UK

If that is all you need you will be fine.

will i be able to walk to some place to pick up water & sodas for the cruise from the san pedro inn & suites ??

There is a Rite-Aid on the corner of 5th and Gaffey. They will have what you need. There is also a new Fresh and Easy Express on 6th and Gaffey.

Just read a lot of reviews (of the sunrise), and it doesn't get high marks. From a rat in the hall, to several people over charged on their charge card, and many checking out before they had planned too, it doesn't sound very good.

My folks spend a few nights there every year when they visit from Ohio. They have never had a problem so as always YMMV. Sunrise location is just more convenient and nicer than San Pedro Inn and Suites. Have a great trip!!

Your mom should put her review up on trip advisor to balance them out. Terrible reviews. The rat in the hall (and they were told that is normal near the water) did it for me LOL.

My folks spend a few nights there every year when they visit from Ohio. They have never had a problem so as always YMMV. Sunrise location is just more convenient and nicer than San Pedro Inn and Suites. Have a great trip!!

Your mom should put her review up on trip advisor to balance them out. Terrible reviews. The rat in the hall (and they were told that is normal near the water) did it for me LOL.

My folks are pretty travel saavy and always make sure to place cheese in front of their neighbors door.

will be there next month staying at the CP...from there is there a liquor store nearby? place to get some last minute snaks?

it would be helpfull in the begining of your post here to put down stuff like this as this seems to be asked always at the departure ports

food

snaks

liquor

cost of taxi to port

hotel recommends

whats nearby the hotels

what to do

etc etc

all recommends by the locals...VERY HELPFUL~!!!!!!

just some of the stuff i remember reading on the Port Canaveral thread which has a wealth of info for cruisers coming to the area

I remember that years (20) ago, San Pedro had a wonderful GREEK restaurant and Italian restaurant right on the main drag. We will be sailing out of San Pedro in 2014 and will be staying overnight. I would love to eat at one of these places (if they still exist). Anyone know of these places?

Thanks for all the good info

Is there a Trader Joes nearby?

Also a Laundromat? I will be in the area between two cruises RCCL ( 14 day canal transit) that has no laundry and a Princess 28 day SO Pacific.. thought I might want to do some laundry before I board - not too big a deal there is a self laundry on Princess.

Just want some TJ's sncks and cheap wine !! Maybe a Walmart for a quick mani-pedi -- that might be a nice addition??

thanks for any info -- we will be at the Long Beach Marriott for the night but will have a car as we are coming up from San Diego

Are looking for places in San Pedro or near the Long Beach Marriott, which is by the Long Beach Airport?

There is a Trader Joe's not too far away from the Marriott. It is near the intersection of Bellflower Blvd and Stearns St on the northeast side of the street next to the post office.

There is a Wal-Mart in Long Beach Town Center at Carson between Studebaker and the 605 Freeway--but I haven't seen anyone get a mani pedi in that one and it is one of the largest I have ever been in. There is a nice mani-pedi place in the same shopping center as the Trader Joe's next door to the Starbucks on the Stearns side (I don't care for the one on the parking lot side.)

Here's the closest Laundromat to the Marriott: http://villagetossandtumble.com/

There are bound to be others--but they don't have web sites?

If you want this info for San Pedro, perhaps a local there could help--

Are looking for places in San Pedro or near the Long Beach Marriott, which is by the Long Beach Airport?

There is a Trader Joe's not too far away from the Marriott. It is near the intersection of Bellflower Blvd and Stearns St on the northeast side of the street next to the post office.

There is a Wal-Mart in Long Beach Town Center at Carson between Studebaker and the 605 Freeway--but I haven't seen anyone get a mani pedi in that one and it is one of the largest I have ever been in. There is a nice mani-pedi place in the same shopping center as the Trader Joe's next door to the Starbucks on the Stearns side (I don't care for the one on the parking lot side.)

Here's the closest Laundromat to the Marriott: http://villagetossandtumble.com/

There are bound to be others--but they don't have web sites?

If you want this info for San Pedro, perhaps a local there could help--

Thank you for the info - just what I needed ... We have a car rental - so any nearby location will work !!! Everything looks close on the AAA map !! I like the idea of mani pedi & TJ's & Starbucks all together -- that will work for me !!

Thank you for the info - just what I needed ... We have a car rental - so any nearby location will work !!! Everything looks close on the AAA map !! I like the idea of mani pedi & TJ's & Starbucks all together -- that will work for me !!

Driving around yesterday, I saw a laundromat at the southeast corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Ximeno next to the Staples.

If I see one near the TJs, I will post it here.

Driving around yesterday, I saw a laundromat at the southeast corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Ximeno next to the Staples.

If I see one near the TJs, I will post it here.

If you decide to use this laundromat...keep driving south on Pacific Coast Highway to 2nd St/Westminster Ave (hang a left and then a right into the back parking lot-Shopkeeper Rd). TJ's is located in the shopping area on the SouthEast corner just behind Ruby's Diner and California Pizza Kitchen.

If you decide to use this laundromat...keep driving south on Pacific Coast Highway to 2nd St/Westminster Ave (hang a left and then a right into the back parking lot-Shopkeeper Rd). TJ's is located in the shopping area on the SouthEast corner just behind Ruby's Diner and California Pizza Kitchen.

I think the TJs in Los Altos Center is closer, has better parking (if you park in the back), and is a newer larger store than the Marketplace one above.

I remember that years (20) ago, San Pedro had a wonderful GREEK restaurant and Italian restaurant right on the main drag. We will be sailing out of San Pedro in 2014 and will be staying overnight. I would love to eat at one of these places (if they still exist). Anyone know of these places?

Hi Binkey,

I believe you are talking about Papadakis ( Greek) and Di Orio's ( Italian) Unfortunately both are gone....But the good news is we have Neils on 5th Street and Rafaellos at 4th and Pacific. Both are really good Italian! We have a new Greek restaurant at the old Papadakis location. Its called Limani's. They aren't as fancy as Papadakis was but they are good.

We also have a steakhouse called 7th Street Chophouse, The Whale And Ale brittish pub and Baramee Thai, Beach City Grill, and Porkys BBQ and the Happy Diner. All are good! Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm a 51 year SP Local and can help!

Happy sailing!