San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Thanks for all the good info

Is there a Trader Joes nearby?

Also a Laundromat? I will be in the area between two cruises RCCL ( 14 day canal transit) that has no laundry and a Princess 28 day SO Pacific.. thought I might want to do some laundry before I board - not too big a deal there is a self laundry on Princess.

Just want some TJ's sncks and cheap wine !! Maybe a Walmart for a quick mani-pedi -- that might be a nice addition??

thanks for any info -- we will be at the Long Beach Marriott for the night but will have a car as we are coming up from San Diego

Sorry misread post thought you were staying in San Pedro.

Edited by Ms. San Pedro
I mis read question and thought the guest was staying in San Pedro.

Torrance has more Japanese and Koreans than Chinese. The Chinese restaurants are pretty generic but not as "westernized" as PF Changs.

For good Japanese food in Torrance, I would recommend Yuzu. http://www.yelp.com/biz/yuzu-torrance

Someone else on these boards mentioned Gonpachi but I think their restaurant in Torrance is just so-so. http://www.yelp.com/biz/gonpachi-torrance

If you are looking for good Mexican food, La Capilla is also located in "Olde Torrance" http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-capilla-mexican-restaurant-torrance

Another option for Chinese food is Sea Empress in Gardena.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sea-empress-seafood-restaurant-gardena

Agree with Bruin, Chinese is not big in San Pedro but,,,We do have a super good Thai restaurant right up from the CP ( 1 block).

Hi Binkey,

I believe you are talking about Papadakis ( Greek) and Di Orio's ( Italian) Unfortunately both are gone....But the good news is we have Neils on 5th Street and Rafaellos at 4th and Pacific. Both are really good Italian! We have a new Greek restaurant at the old Papadakis location. Its called Limani's. They aren't as fancy as Papadakis was but they are good.

We also have a steakhouse called 7th Street Chophouse, The Whale And Ale brittish pub and Baramee Thai, Beach City Grill, and Porkys BBQ and the Happy Diner. All are good! Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm a 51 year SP Local and can help!

Happy sailing!

So sorry to hear that Papdakis and Di Orio's are no more. They were great places! I loved to Greek dance at Papadakis (I am greek...so I know the 'steps'). I was a counselor at two LA City school camps in San Pedro about 40 years ago. One was at Point Fermin, by the lighthouse, and the other was at an elementary school (can't remember the name) near Royal Palms Park. So many good memories of San Pedro! I am anxious to make a few more 'good memories' with our next stay in the area.

So sorry to hear that Papdakis and Di Orio's are no more. They were great places! I loved to Greek dance at Papadakis (I am greek...so I know the 'steps'). I was a counselor at two LA City school camps in San Pedro about 40 years ago. One was at Point Fermin, by the lighthouse, and the other was at an elementary school (can't remember the name) near Royal Palms Park. So many good memories of San Pedro! I am anxious to make a few more 'good memories' with our next stay in the area.

That would be White's Point Elementary School:

http://notebook.lausd.net/portal/page?_pageid=33,54194&_dad=ptl&_schema=ptl_ep&school_code=7767

Jeff in Torrance, I worked as a summer camp helper at White Point Elementary as well. My Brother did too.

Mr. Boucher was the director during the years I worked there. What was your 'camp' name. I was Mate Salty....my twin sister was Mate Toot!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, KreinKrunker! I am hopeing to rent one at LAX and bring it back to San Pedro.

We just sailed on the Sapphire (great ship:)) and we rented from Hertz and dropped off the car in Lomita, CA which is about a fifteen minute drive to Ssn Pedro and they took us to San Pedro for embarkation after returning the car. This is the closest Hertz office to San Pedro.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We are sailing on the Sapphire Jan to HI. I was just about ready to firm up plans to stay precurise at the Crowne Plaze..us and another couple. Went onto Trip Advisor and was so disappointed that recent reviews were not that good. Negative comments from location to room being outdated concerns me. We had decided on the CP over Double tree because of location. So, I then checked out reviews for Double Tree and they weren't any better!

For 1 night precruise...is the CP ok and in a safe area? We would probably walk somewhere for dinner. Also, is it better than the Doubletree? San Pedran...I need your expertise please! Has the CP gone down hill in the last couple of months?

Thanks,

We've always felt very safe. We've stayed there several times pre-cruise.Rooms are older, but we were always happy with this choice and plan on staying there for our December 29th Sapphire cruise.

For 1 night precruise...is the CP ok and in a safe area? We would probably walk somewhere for dinner. Also, is it better than the Doubletree? San Pedran...I need your expertise please! Has the CP gone down hill in the last couple of months?

Thanks,

We've always felt very safe. We've stayed there several times pre-cruise.Rooms are older, but we were always happy with this choice and plan on staying there for our December 29th Sapphire cruise.

DMRick,

Thanks for the reassurance!

I will be booking CP because of the location to restaurants for dinner.

Would so appreciate when you return from your cruise if you would make comments on this board about the CP. Just wondering if it has deteriorated so much to warrant such negative reviews.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We were there last November, but I'll comment again when we return this time around. We've always given it a solid 3. That's what we gave the Maya as well.

DMRick,

Thanks for the reassurance!

I will be booking CP because of the location to restaurants for dinner.

Would so appreciate when you return from your cruise if you would make comments on this board about the CP. Just wondering if it has deteriorated so much to warrant such negative reviews.

Have a wonderful cruise!

The Doubletree is a nicer hotel but a bit far away from the action. Crowne Plaza is the way to go. I don't see the hotel as getting any worse. They do have new management so maybe it was dragging a bit there for a while. Both are 3-star hotels and plenty fine for a night. The area around the CP and DT are fine to walk around any time of the day. 5th, 6th and 7th streets are the main drags in downtown. All the restaurants, bars and shopping are on these streets.

Just checked out TripAdvisor for the Crowne Plaza and saw that out of the last 30 reviews only 3 were negative. So that means 27 other folks felt their stay was adequate to excellent. Not too bad.

The area is quite safe but if you feel uncomfortable you'll find the better hotels offer their guests bullet-proof vests.

Welcome to San Peeeedro!!! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!!

:D

I am 86 female and travel solo. I stayed at Crowne Plaza in Feb of this year. I will be staying there again in March when I cruise on the QE.

Cunard offer a package which includes a 5 star Hotel in Santa Monica, at a 5 star price and a 20+ mile drive to the ship, having stayed in San Pedro in Feb I prefer the savings and the fact that I can see the ship when I wake up in the morning and that the hotel provide a free shuttle, which drops me off right at the terminal.

Have a great cruise.

I am 86 female and travel solo. I stayed at Crowne Plaza in Feb of this year. I will be staying there again in March when I cruise on the QE.

Cunard offer a package which includes a 5 star Hotel in Santa Monica, at a 5 star price and a 20+ mile drive to the ship, having stayed in San Pedro in Feb I prefer the savings and the fact that I can see the ship when I wake up in the morning and that the hotel provide a free shuttle, which drops me off right at the terminal.

Have a great cruise.

I believe Cunard places you at either the Loews or the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica...both of these are OUTSTANDING hotels in great locations...IF you are staying for more than just one night pre-cruise...For multiple nights in the LA area and with some time to do some touring and just kicking back and enjoying the Southern California lifestyle...

Of course, for just one night and with no time to do much, it doesn't make all that much sense to head all the way up to Santa Monica and pay the sort of rates those hotels demand just to have a bed for the night and a longer trip to the pier...

So while I recommend Santa Monica for those spending multiple days, if you're just doing one night prior to boarding a ship in San Pedro, my advice would be to stay in San Pedro...after all, if all you want is a bed for the night, maybe a nice dinner the night before and even just a few diversions to fill your time for a n afternoon, San Pedro has plenty for you...and you cannot beat the convenience...plus the prices in San Pedro are well below some of the trendier areas of LA...

Are the San Pedrans still here?

WE are considering taking Amtrak to Union Stn. L.A.

Do you know if there is a city bus that goes to the port?

What is the distance?

We travel light so luggage is no problem.

Would appreciate any details such as schedule, times, prices.

thanks in advance.

John