San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

This is a wonderful thread and much appreciated!

I will need to go from LAX to Double Tree in September.

However, the Shuttles mentioned all seem to be vans.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I was hoping for more of a small bus, or something easier to climb in and out of.

Can someone comment on this, please?

and....

are the shuttles from Doubletree the same type small vans? or are they more of a small bus shuttle?

Thank you in advance!!

Edited by FoghornLeghorn

If you are staying in San Pedro and looking for something to do, check out what is happening at The Warner Grand and the Grand Annex. The Warner Grand is an Art-Deco theatre that first opened in 1931. I was down there last weekend to see Broadway star Susan Egan (she was Belle in Beauty & the Beast and has been in many other proguctions) with The Golden State Pops and it was a great show. You can see what's happening online at http://www.grandvision.org/. Sorry if this may have been mentioned before. I'm at work ;) and don't have time to read all 23 pages.

Enjoy,

Ron

This is a wonderful thread and much appreciated!

I will need to go from LAX to Double Tree in September.

However, the Shuttles mentioned all seem to be vans.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I was hoping for more of a small bus, or something easier to climb in and out of.

Can someone comment on this, please?

and....

are the shuttles from Doubletree the same type small vans? or are they more of a small bus shuttle?

Thank you in advance!!

Since the vans are cheaper, when you make your reservation, just request that the driver have a step stool for you to make it easier getting in and out of the van.

Will the USS Iowa's new permanent home be within a walking distance of where Princess ships are berthed? We have an October California Coastal cruise and I'm sure DH would like to tour the Iowa, either on embarkation or debarkation day.

Thanks!

Will the USS Iowa's new permanent home be within a walking distance of where Princess ships are berthed? We have an October California Coastal cruise and I'm sure DH would like to tour the Iowa, either on embarkation or debarkation day.

Thanks!

Yes. She's at Berth 87, I believe, right next to the cruise ship berths:).

• 2 weeks later...

In the past, we have been successful bidding $65 on Priceline for San Pedro - each time getting the Crowne Plaza.

I just tried bidding $65 (and then raised to $70) on Priceline for San Pedro for Oct 27, 2012 and for Nov 26, 2012 - each bid being rejected.

Does anyone know if there is something special going on in San Pedro for these two dates that would cause our bids to be rejected?

Is it possible that the rates are generally going up and $65 - $70 won't be enough anymore?

In the past, we have been successful bidding $65 on Priceline for San Pedro - each time getting the Crowne Plaza.

I just tried bidding $65 (and then raised to $70) on Priceline for San Pedro for Oct 27, 2012 and for Nov 26, 2012 - each bid being rejected.

Does anyone know if there is something special going on in San Pedro for these two dates that would cause our bids to be rejected?

Is it possible that the rates are generally going up and $65 - $70 won't be enough anymore?

I tried bidding $71 this morning for the two dates of Oct 27 and Nov 26 - both rejected. So, I rebid at $75 which was accepted for each of the two dates.

Would be nice to keep this thread going. Tons of valuable information here. I had to scroll to page 3 or 4 a couple of weeks ago looking for it.:)

Be nice if these city threads could be stickies at the top.

Thanks again

Gerry

USS Iowa is about 10 miles off the coast of San Pedro right now. Hull cleaning will take about a week and then they will bring it into Berth 87 with a grand opening of July 9th. Exciting times here in San Pedro and for cruisers around the world!!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=8681378

Yes. She's at Berth 87, I believe, right next to the cruise ship berths:).

We were able to tour her on Monday, and it's quite an experience! They still have loads of work to do on her, but they've been working diligently to get everything ready for the opening.

And now there is also a craft market located at the end of the Red Line trolley, open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This is such helpful thread...thank you wineaux...

A couple of questions, if I may:

We are flying in and out of San Diego and renting cars both pre and post cruise...Hertz says to use the Lomita location as that is the one that provides the shuttle to the pier...how far is Lomita from the San Pedro cruise terminal (for Princess)?

We are staying in Anaheim post cruise...approx how long is the drive (it will be on a Saturday for traffic purposes, if that matters)

Thanks!

It's under 5 miles to Hertz Lomita, maybe a 15 minute drive on surface streets, from the pier. And to drive from Lomita to Anaheim should take 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic and where you're headed in Anaheim. Saturday traffic is lighter in the morning than during the week, but can get pretty heavy midday.

When I booked my flight for my Princess Cruise, I thought LGB was much closer to the San Pedro terminal. But it's not. Oh well, at least I won't have to deal with the confusion of LAX and the paparazzi.;)

Is there a public transportation option from the airport to the ship, that won't take hours?

Once I am at the terminal, is there any kind of grocery store within walking distance?

What about the trolley? Is that within walking distance to the cruise terminal? And does that stop near any grocery store?

And lastly, on our return we will have several hours before we catch our flight. Is there a place we can drop our luggage and visit Ports of Call, or will we have drop our bags at LGB and from there find amusement?

If you are travelling solo, I think SuperShuttle is your best bet for the most efficient, economical way to get from LGB to San Pedro. If two or more, take a cab--it is about a breakeven with two and cheaper with three or more.

LAX and LGB to San Pedro are both about 20 miles away. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Someone else will have to answer the grocery question.

When I booked my flight for my Princess Cruise, I thought LGB was much closer to the San Pedro terminal. But it's not. Oh well, at least I won't have to deal with the confusion of LAX and the paparazzi.;)

Is there a public transportation option from the airport to the ship, that won't take hours?

Once I am at the terminal, is there any kind of grocery store within walking distance?

What about the trolley? Is that within walking distance to the cruise terminal? And does that stop near any grocery store?

And lastly, on our return we will have several hours before we catch our flight. Is there a place we can drop our luggage and visit Ports of Call, or will we have drop our bags at LGB and from there find amusement?

It's 5 miles closer, which on the San Diego Freeway can be a lifetime. I think you made the far better choice.:)

There are no busses that I am aware of that go from LGB to the pier. Taxis are a flat rate (used to be $35, but that was over a year ago and I'm sure has increased). Super Shuttle may be less expensive, depending on how many are in your party, but you run the risk of loading up with people going to other places and being dropped off before you are.

The trolley is right outside the entrance to the cruise ship terminal. There is a small shop called Ocean __ (can't remember the name) that's about a 5 minute stroll from the entrance as well.

A new attraction in San Pedro is the craft market located near the end of the Red Line. No groceries, but maybe a nice souvenir opportunity.

It's 5 miles closer, which on the San Diego Freeway can be a lifetime. I think you made the far better choice.:)

There are no busses that I am aware of that go from LGB to the pier. Taxis are a flat rate (used to be $35, but that was over a year ago and I'm sure has increased). Super Shuttle may be less expensive, depending on how many are in your party, but you run the risk of loading up with people going to other places and being dropped off before you are.

The trolley is right outside the entrance to the cruise ship terminal. There is a small shop called Ocean __ (can't remember the name) that's about a 5 minute stroll from the entrance as well.

A new attraction in San Pedro is the craft market located near the end of the Red Line. No groceries, but maybe a nice souvenir opportunity.

We are flying Heathrow to Los Angeles - just noticed our flight details show "Los Angeles International(CA)" - is this the same as Los Angeles (LAX) or are there 2 different airports? Help I am confused!!

Eileen

We always fly into LGB (Long Beach) rather than LAX. It isn't a long ride at all to San Pedro. Security and baggage pick up is so much easier at LGB too.

One thing to check tho is the size of the plane you are arriving on. The one US Airways uses from Phoenix to LGB requires that your carry on be able to fit under the seat in front of you. There is extremely limited overhead storage and the planes have 2 people on each side rather than 3. Never felt we were in a "small plane" as it has over 100 passengers.

What we saw both in Phoenix and in Long Beach is that they allowed people to go thru security with their standard carry-on bags. Then as we boarded the plane, the bag was taken from the passenger and put below in cargo -- no charge to the passenger. The bags were returned when we landed. We carry meds in our carryon and other important items, so absolutely didn't want our bags put in cargo etc. Fortunately I knew about the bag restrictions ahead of time and purchased a Rick Steves travel bag. It really holds quite a bit and is a perfect fit under the seat in front of us: http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=441 These bags are also available on ebags.com and other retailers.

Edited by MilliesMom

We need to rent a car after the cruise and drop off in San Diego. any one have any idea where we can get to a rental place w/o a long ride to the airport? I see that drop off charges are horrific.

There is an Enterprise car rental near the port co-located with the Crowne Plaza. You cannot make a reservation on-line to pick up at one location and drop off at another--but you can call to arrange this.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/wls.do?gpbr=32d6

The next closest is Hertz in Lomita, CA

Then downtown Long Beach, then its about a tie between LAX and Long Beach Airport.

Note that many of these non-airport locations will have short hours or be closed on a Sunday.

We need to rent a car after the cruise and drop off in San Diego. any one have any idea where we can get to a rental place w/o a long ride to the airport? I see that drop off charges are horrific.

Is it possible to pick the car up on a Monday? I got a really good deal from Avis, the reverse of what you want.

But, if you pick the car up at their 249 East Ocean Blvd, Long Beach, office on Monday morning, and I plugged in dropping it off at the San Diego airport on Tuesday, it was about $81.

Maybe stay the night in the San Pedro/Long Beach area?????

We have to be in SAN for a meeting Wed night-- right after the crusie . We are kinda sneeking in the crusie and using the company paid air fare. droping off the car Sat morning. the company will pay a reasonal amount but we may be pick up the drop charges