San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Do you mind telling me the address of this liquor store?

If staying at the Crowne Plaza, go out the front door. Walk south to 7th and turn right a block and a half. The liquor store is across from Mishi's Strudel. Same directions as in post #333.

Edited by KreinKrunker

Hi,

We will be off the Golden 2/15/12 and need to get to Universal Studios with our luggage. What would be best & approximate cost? Many thanks, Dick & El

We're two couples doing the same thing on May 9. Our plan is to request express walk-off, with our own luggage, as soon as we can disembark, and book SuperShuttle in advance to take us to the Hilton next to Universal. I can't say the cost at at the moment but I just emailed SuperShuttle with our date and plans. Seemed reasonable. Without renting a car (not interested) it seems this may be the best way to go. What do you think, Wineaux?

Is it safe to walk around San Pedro in the morning?? Would you do it if you were by yourself (female)??? What would be safer, walking down 5th, 6th or 7th to Gaffy from the Crowne?

Downtown San Pedro is a pretty safe area. At a meeting with police officers last week it was determined Downtown San Pedro is 400% safer than it's surrounding communities. Where are you going to?

Edited by Wineaux

Thanks for the info. Only trying to choose a HOliday Inn /Crowne PLaza as we have reductions for them re relations working for the group.

Maybe should consider another group. TA said Best WEstsrn???? However, as you say only a short time so maybe near San Pedro departing from there and then not anopther cab fare??

Regards and thanks Irene and Stan.

I know this is from a year ago, but if you haven't gone yet, Crown Plaza is part of the Priority Club group which also includes Holiday Inn. Keep checking rates as they change often, or book Priceline.

Also, while not a resident now, have cruised out of San Pedro a bunch of times and really enjoy sitting outside at Acapulco restaurant and watching ships leave the night before our cruise. I know it's not a fancy, or fabulous restaurant, but we always have fun there......in Ports of Call Village, which was half empty the last time we were there, and full and loads of interesting stuff when I was young. Sad to see it now.......

Downtown San Pedro is a pretty safe area. At a meeting with police officers last week it was determined Downtown San Pedro is 400% safer than it's surrounding communities. Where are you going to?

That's good to know... going to a drugstore. It seems that CVS is there, or Rite Aid??? Whatever is closest. :)

Our flight does not leave until 7pm from LAX after getting off the cruise ship in San Pedro. Rather than heading straight to LAX at 9am ( & sit around for 10 hrs) is there anything we can do in San Pedro until later in the day? Supershuttle suggested we get picked up at the pier by 3pm (flight back to Canada).

Thanks in advance.

Our flight does not leave until 7pm from LAX after getting off the cruise ship in San Pedro. Rather than heading straight to LAX at 9am ( & sit around for 10 hrs) is there anything we can do in San Pedro until later in the day? Supershuttle suggested we get picked up at the pier by 3pm (flight back to Canada).

Thanks in advance.

Sunseekers offers tours of Los Angeles that pick up at the port and return you to LAx.

www.sunseekertours.us

Search this forum--you should find some positive reviews.

Sunseekers offers tours of Los Angeles that pick up at the port and return you to LAx.

www.sunseekertours.us

Search this forum--you should find some positive reviews.

That's exactly what we did and it was wonderful! We were picked up at the pier (mini van) and the driver took care of our luggage all day. He was a driving encyclopedia of information and dropped us off at the airport for only a few extra dollars. We liked this tour so well, we're repeating it in April with friends who haven't been to LA before.

I know this is from a year ago, but if you haven't gone yet, Crown Plaza is part of the Priority Club group which also includes Holiday Inn. Keep checking rates as they change often, or book Priceline.

Also, while not a resident now, have cruised out of San Pedro a bunch of times and really enjoy sitting outside at Acapulco restaurant and watching ships leave the night before our cruise. I know it's not a fancy, or fabulous restaurant, but we always have fun there......in Ports of Call Village, which was half empty the last time we were there, and full and loads of interesting stuff when I was young. Sad to see it now.......

We really enjoyed San Pedro before and after our cruise last May. We had a late return flight, so we were able to have dinner at the Acapulco . The food was great and along with watching the ships leave it helped to make a great ending to a wonderful cruise!!!

I'm looking to disembark in San Pedro and take the 11:30 Amtrak bus to Union Station. Is it difficult to get from the cruise terminal to the ferry/Amtrak facility? Is there a shuttle or should I plan something else?

Thanks

Roy

We were planning on going to Santa Monica for a day trip in wine country before our cruise in April. What would be the best type of transportation to use for the trip from San Pedro to Santa Monica and back.

Thanks

D&P cruisers

I think I would stay closer to Santa Monica - if you're flying into LAX, going down to San Pedro and then turning around to drive past LAX and then some seems like a waste of precious vacation time to me.

But if it's too late to change your hotel, I would look in to renting a car - Enterprise used to have an office in the Crowne Plaza; I don't know if they still do. I don't know if Super Shuttle can take you anywhere but the airport. A cab would run you $70 at a minimum.

You could also try a car service - we use Apex Transportation 800-359-1800 when we go to LAX from our house that's not too far from Pedro. It runs abotu $65 plus a tip. Other people like Execu Car, which is part of Super Shuttle. I'd compare those options to renting a car.

We were planning on going to Santa Monica for a day trip in wine country before our cruise in April. What would be the best type of transportation to use for the trip from San Pedro to Santa Monica and back.

Thanks

D&P cruisers

do you mean Santa Barbara wine country or Malibu? Santa Monica is not wine country so I am assuming you meant someplace else.

I'm looking to disembark in San Pedro and take the 11:30 Amtrak bus to Union Station. Is it difficult to get from the cruise terminal to the ferry/Amtrak facility? Is there a shuttle or should I plan something else?

Thanks

Roy

Looks like that bus picks up in front of the Library on 9th and Gaffey. Is that what you have? There is no Amtrak facility in San Pedro. Take a quick taxi ride if you have a lot of luggage. If not, it's not a bad walk if you are healthy.

Edited by Wineaux

I know that the original poster lives in San Pedro, and hope that he/she can answer my question.

I am booked (paid for in advance) at the Crowne Plaza - it was my own choice , the cruise line offered Santa Monica 5 Star hotel at big $$$.

However yesterday I read reviews on a travel site, and they were very disturbing. Dirty rooms, no help with luggage, and a truly dreadful restaurent. Now I know these may be not very reliable, but since I travel solo and as a senior it is worrying

I know there is a Grinders in the next street , but two reviews suggested a "Rays cafe" or a Simons cafe".

Does anyone know these, or have eaten there? will they be nearer to the hotel than Grinders, as I have a mobility problem? I am 86 and really do not wish to take taxi cabs to more distant restaurents.

I would really be grateful if anyone who has stayed at the hotel recently could write to me -privately if you wish. Thank you

Lynn

rafex1@centurylink.net

We've stayed there 3 or 4 times. Our room has always been fine. There is all the help you want with the luggage. We don't eat in the restaurant, it's too expensive. But there are plenty around there to chose from. There is a very small one (self serve cafe) with great food and prices out the side door by their restaurant and to the left across the street. Our breakfast there was great. Plenty others, very close, up the street for diner.

I know that the original poster lives in San Pedro, and hope that he/she can answer my question.

I am booked (paid for in advance) at the Crowne Plaza - it was my own choice , the cruise line offered Santa Monica 5 Star hotel at big $$$.

However yesterday I read reviews on a travel site, and they were very disturbing. Dirty rooms, no help with luggage, and a truly dreadful restaurent. Now I know these may be not very reliable, but since I travel solo and as a senior it is worrying

I know there is a Grinders in the next street , but two reviews suggested a "Rays cafe" or a Simons cafe".

Does anyone know these, or have eaten there? will they be nearer to the hotel than Grinders, as I have a mobility problem? I am 86 and really do not wish to take taxi cabs to more distant restaurents.

I would really be grateful if anyone who has stayed at the hotel recently could write to me -privately if you wish. Thank you

Lynn

rafex1@centurylink.net

Thank you DMRick.

Some reviews can be very disheartening, when you are using the hotel for the first time.

Usually I stay in the Cruise package hotel, but it has become VERY expensive,almost $500 for just one night no food, for one person, which is why I thought to try San Pedro being almost on the doorstep for the ship .

Some folks are just pickier than most. They want a $10 wine that drinks like Opus1. There is a nice little cafe that just opened up a block away from the CP on Centre Street called Happy Diner and then just another half-block from there is Mishi's Cafe. A small little hungarian strudel shop but they do have breakfast.

Never heard of Ray's (maybe you mean Rex's?...if so, they are great but too far away) and Simons is closed but they were not a breakfast joint anyway. I am not a big Grinder's fan but several folks have enjoyed their meals there. Hope this helps!!

Edited by Wineaux