San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Great thread, thanks all. Sorry if this has already been asked but if it has I missed it.

How long would it take to walk from the Crowne Plaza to Vons, need to get a few provisions in for the cruise, mostly liquid of course!

Cheers.

what are you looking for?

Hi Wineaux, I want to get wine, snacks as well as things like clothes washing liquid etc which are too heavy to pack in luggage from the UK. So I need a supermarket rather than a wine shop.

If it's too far to walk both ways would walking there and getting a cab back be too expensive and would anyone be able to recommend a cab firm to use?

Hi Wineaux, I want to get wine, snacks as well as things like clothes washing liquid etc which are too heavy to pack in luggage from the UK. So I need a supermarket rather than a wine shop.

If it's too far to walk both ways would walking there and getting a cab back be too expensive and would anyone be able to recommend a cab firm to use?

I tried the 3-in-1 Purex unscented sheets on our last cruise and they worked fine (and didn't cause an allergic reaction with my daughter -- I did try this ahead of the cruise). If no one in your family has an allergy to detergent, you can use the regular Purex, which should be easy to find in the stores (Vons, Target, CVS, etc.) while the unscented type is harder to find everywhere. These sheets are convenient because you throw one in the washer instead of power or liquid. Then when you're transferring your clothes to the dryer, that sheet also goes in. Saves space in your suitcase if you buy it ahead of time.

I was planning on walking to Vons from the Crown Plaza. It looks to be less than one mile. Looks like to nice walk if you are up for it. There are also some drug stores like CVS that may have alcohol and laundry supplies that may be closer than Vons. CVS is at 7th street and Gaffey in San Pedro. Not all CVS stores have alcohol. Not sure if the CVS in San Pedro has it or not. Vons is at 12th street and Gaffey.

Cruisin' Chick ... I heard about the Purex 3-in-1 sheets on disboards.com ... and have used them ever since!

We find them at Wal-Mart .... and as Cruisin' Chick says ... they are so easy to pack as they are flat like dryer sheets. Plus, whatever sheets we do not use on vacation ... can be used when we return home.

How long would it take to walk from the Crowne Plaza to Vons,

Don't know about that, but there is a small grocery store much closer. The Numero Uno Market is at the corner of 5th and Pacific. Walk out of the hotel heading west on 6th to Pacific, about three blocks. At that corner look to the left and you will see Off The Vine, a wine store. If you go right on Pacific for one block, you will find Numero Uno Market. If you are looking for liquor or beer, there is a store even closer. Go out the front door of the hotel and go south to 7th. Turn right on 7th for about a block and half, where you will find the Seven Days Food Store. It is sort of a 7-11 type place, across the street from Mishi's Strudel.

JUst a correction..there is no unscented type. It's a fresh scent. I too thought it was unscented and even called them, but it's not. They said I misunderstood and that Purex has no plans to make an unscented version, which disappointed me. I found that even though it still smelling some, if I cut off the dryer portion, I didn't have a reaction (and after the drying, the clothes hardly smelled at all..quite different when I tried the whole sheet)..when I tried it complete the smell was way too much....so most of the scent must be in that part. Plus some have reported (on the disboards lol) getting marks on their clothes and found if they cut off the dryer portion, that goes away. The spots do wash out the next time you wash.

I tried the 3-in-1 Purex unscented sheets on our last cruise and they worked fine (and didn't cause an allergic reaction with my daughter -- I did try this ahead of the cruise). If no one in your family has an allergy to detergent' date=' you can use the regular Purex, which should be easy to find in the stores (Vons, Target, CVS, etc.) while the unscented type is harder to find everywhere. These sheets are convenient because you throw one in the washer instead of power or liquid. Then when you're transferring your clothes to the dryer, that sheet also goes in. Saves space in your suitcase if you buy it ahead of time.[/quote']

JUst a correction..there is no unscented type. It's a fresh scent. I too thought it was unscented and even called them, but it's not. They said I misunderstood and that Purex has no plans to make an unscented version, which disappointed me. I found that even though it still smelling some, if I cut off the dryer portion, I didn't have a reaction (and after the drying, the clothes hardly smelled at all..quite different when I tried the whole sheet)..when I tried it complete the smell was way too much....so most of the scent must be in that part. Plus some have reported (on the disboards lol) getting marks on their clothes and found if they cut off the dryer portion, that goes away. The spots do wash out the next time you wash.

Well, it's not completely scent free, but the one I bought is considered hypoallergic

from their website: http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/purex-complete-3-in-1#pure-clean

Is Purex Complete 3-in-1 hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin? Pure & Clean, which comes in a lighter-colored box, is a hypoallergenic product formulated for sensitive skin. The other two varieties, Spring Oasis and Tropical Escape, have not been formally tested on sensitive skin.

I did try it out way ahead of our cruise and clothes washed with the sheet didn't bother my daughter. So unless she has grown out of this allergy since we last use something (which did cause a rash) other than the Arm and Hammer detergent, this worked out fine for her.

But it is hard to find compared to the two regular ones (Spring Oasis and Tropical Escape).

I haven't had any problem finding it, my surpermarket and Walmart both carry it..but it does still have quite a scent..so even if they say it's hypoallergic, if you are sensitive to scents, you may not care for this (it does say fragrance is added..that's generally not in hypoallergenic products). When I called them when I broke out, and had noticed they all have the same ingredients, the gal on the phone said they make no quarantees about the allergents, but in a test people said they didn't have a problem with it. Personally, I don't know how they can call it hypoallergenic. She said I misunderstood what they are saying. I couldn't get her to tell me where and what the testing was. Whatever LOL! She did send me a lot of coupons and took the product back. But as I said, if I cut off the dryer part, it's much better...for me, that seems to be the problem

Well' date=' it's not completely scent free, but the one I bought is considered hypoallergic

from their website: http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/purex-complete-3-in-1#pure-clean

Is Purex Complete 3-in-1 hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin? Pure & Clean, which comes in a lighter-colored box, is a hypoallergenic product formulated for sensitive skin. The other two varieties, Spring Oasis and Tropical Escape, have not been formally tested on sensitive skin.

I did try it out way ahead of our cruise and clothes washed with the sheet didn't bother my daughter. So unless she has grown out of this allergy since we last use something (which did cause a rash) other than the Arm and Hammer detergent, this worked out fine for her.

But it is hard to find compared to the two regular ones (Spring Oasis and Tropical Escape).[/quote']

The Holiday Inn/Clarion Hotel on 1st and Gaffey is now the San Pedro Inn and in a couple months will be Best Western Plus. They plan on making several upgrades to make the place a little more up to date.

Will keep you in the loop as they make these changes. San Pedro needs another place for folks to stay pre-cruise.

I would like to know it the terminal parking lot San Pedro can be accessed at 11:00pm by taxi? Returning to LGB late from a canal trip and considering just going directly to pier parking area to pick up my car. Otherwise staying in Long Beach for the night and taxi to pier parking the next day. Thanks

Jerry

Good breakfast, tons of food and a long wait. Nothing really spectacular but it blows away the Grinder. I like the Omellette and Waffle House over Gaffey Street Diner and if you want to stay closer to the hotels....Happy Diner or Mishi's.

I respectfully disagree:). I think they both serve good comfort food. And I like the booths at the Grinder better than the open tables at GSD.

The Holiday Inn/Clarion Hotel on 1st and Gaffey is now the San Pedro Inn and in a couple months will be Best Western Plus. They plan on making several upgrades to make the place a little more up to date.

Will keep you in the loop as they make these changes. San Pedro needs another place for folks to stay pre-cruise.

San Pedro needs another cruise ship (or two), too!

I would like to know it the terminal parking lot San Pedro can be accessed at 11:00pm by taxi? Returning to LGB late from a canal trip and considering just going directly to pier parking area to pick up my car. Otherwise staying in Long Beach for the night and taxi to pier parking the next day. Thanks

Jerry

According to this website, yes. http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/crusshp.htm

But I always thought that the cashiers in the lot next to the cruise ship berths went home after the last ship sailed. It may be that you have to park in the Catalina Express terminal lot. There's a telephone number in that link that can give you more information.

"According to this website, yes. http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/crusshp.htm

But I always thought that the cashiers in the lot next to the cruise ship berths went home after the last ship sailed. It may be that you have to park in the Catalina Express terminal lot. There's a telephone number in that link that can give you more information. " __________________

-Jean

Thanks for the reply. In my particular situation I have discovered the Golden is in port the morning after our arrival at lgb so we can spend night in Long Beach, taxi in morning to cruise terminal lot with no problem.

Golden Princess to Hawaii February 15, 2012.

What temperature can we expect in San Pedro in mid February? Day time highs?? Night time lows??:cool:

Here's a link wunderground.com info

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KTOA/2011/2/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=San+Pedro&req_state=CA&req_statename=California

Didn't have San Pedro, but did have Torrance. May be a degree or two cooler in San Pedro

Thanks to PatriciaF for the weather website link. Now we know that shorts and a Hawaiian shirt are probably not a good idea for our stay in San Pedro.

You might see plenty of locals with shorts, hawaiian shirt, sweat shirt and flipflops--but not me.

Thank you PatriciaF

Most helpful, indeed I have found this thread to be helpful in total contents.

I chose this time around to stay the pre cruise night in San Pedro rather than Santa Monica, looking forward to the change of venue. Thank you everyone

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just walked up to the liquor store (1 block up from the CP)....they do NOT carry boxed wine. You could ask the CP to take you to Von's at 13th & Gaffey.

Do you mind telling me the address of this liquor store? My DH and I will need to visit before our cruise in March. Thanks

Do you mind telling me the address of this liquor store? My DH and I will need to visit before our cruise in March. Thanks

Their website is offthevinewines dot com , they are two full blocks up 6th St from the Crowne Plaza. The Crowne Plaza no longer offers a shuttle to shops and restaurants like they used to but still does the free shuttle to and from the pier. As Off the Vine does not open until late morning they will deliver to San Pedro hotels for free.