San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

We've used Super Shuttle several times from LAX to the Crowne. I know they are going to circle the airport several times so I make sure I have a book with me. Most times we visit with whoever we have picked up and most times they are from our Cruise and we've already met online. I always use a coupon I find on line and it gives us some relaxing time after a long flight.

Good breakfast, tons of food and a long wait. Nothing really spectacular but it blows away the Grinder. I like the Omellette and Waffle House over Gaffey Street Diner and if you want to stay closer to the hotels....Happy Diner or Mishi's.

I saw part of the TV show where the Gaffey St Diner was featured and think it would be cool to go there (more so for the husbands:D). We'll be at the Crowne Plaza. Do you think it's worth walking to the diner for breakfast on a Wed am? Would a cab be a better idea?

I saw part of the TV show where the Gaffey St Diner was featured and think it would be cool to go there (more so for the husbands:D). We'll be at the Crowne Plaza. Do you think it's worth walking to the diner for breakfast on a Wed am? Would a cab be a better idea?

it's a long walk but will give you time to burn off that monster breakfast. It's good so I would say...DO IT!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, we went to the new Greek restaurant, Limani and it was awesome. I had the mousakka and my wife had the lamb shank. Others had the gyro platter and salmon. Very very good and highly recommended!! Salud!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder for those planning on being in town for the Fourth of July weekend. Book your hotel NOW!! The USS Iowa will be in town and that is their Grand Opening weekend. It will be packed!! :eek:

I have read this forum and love all the information given. I note that some posters recommend travelling at night with the shuttle supplied by the hotel. Is it not safe to be out and about at 8 ish? We would like to be out and about for dinner and go for a few drinks after. If we are to use the CP shuttle as recommended, is this like a taxi? Do we phone and ask them to pick us up when we are finished for the night. What is the approximate cost for a nearby restaurant pick up.

This is such helpful thread...thank you wineaux...

A couple of questions, if I may:

We are flying in and out of San Diego and renting cars both pre and post cruise...Hertz says to use the Lomita location as that is the one that provides the shuttle to the pier...how far is Lomita from the San Pedro cruise terminal (for Princess)?

We are staying in Anaheim post cruise...approx how long is the drive (it will be on a Saturday for traffic purposes, if that matters)

Thanks!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I have read this forum and love all the information given. I note that some posters recommend travelling at night with the shuttle supplied by the hotel. Is it not safe to be out and about at 8 ish? We would like to be out and about for dinner and go for a few drinks after. If we are to use the CP shuttle as recommended, is this like a taxi? Do we phone and ask them to pick us up when we are finished for the night. What is the approximate cost for a nearby restaurant pick up.

We stayed at the Crown Plaza in late October of 2010. We had dinner at the San Pedro Brewery which was just a five minute walk up the street from the hotel. We felt comfortable in the neighborhood and it was in the early evening. While I don't recall the exact cost, we each had dinner and some beverages for about $50 total, which is certainly reasonable. The brewery is not upscale by any means, but it is not a dive either.

If we would rent a car from Enterprise, I see they close at 6:00 p.m. If we drop it off later that night, is it safe to walk back to the Crown Plaza?

Enterprise use the parkade of the Crown Plaza and their office & key drop is part of the Crown Plaza, about 100 feet from an entrance to the hotel, you will be perfectly safe.

• 5 weeks later...

Another great resource for cruisers is the newly formed San Pedro Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Nearly a year since their inception they have really made their mark here is San Pedro by organizing the local travel community and it's resources. If you are looking for help in either booking a room or seeing the sights give them a call.

http://www.spcvb.com/drupal/

USS Iowa is about 10 miles off the coast of San Pedro right now. Hull cleaning will take about a week and then they will bring it into Berth 87 with a grand opening of July 9th. Exciting times here in San Pedro and for cruisers around the world!!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=8681378

Out of curiosity, where will the Iowa be moored relative to the World Cruise Terminal?

Putterdue, the USS Iowa will be permanently docked at Pier 87 next to the World Cruise Terminal, taking up the berth previously occupied by a third cruise ship. In the future, when the occasion of a third cruise ship calls, it will be assigned to an outer cruise terminal, I believe Pier 47, at the end of Miner St., next to the SS Lane Victory, a historic WWII merchant marine vessel.

Edited by andreadan

Another great resource for cruisers is the newly formed San Pedro Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Nearly a year since their inception they have really made their mark here is San Pedro by organizing the local travel community and it's resources. If you are looking for help in either booking a room or seeing the sights give them a call.

http://www.spcvb.com/drupal/

Hi - we are seniors from UK and have booked 1 night before cruise at San Pedro Inn & Suites. Have searched a lot of pages and never seen anyone staying at this hotel. Do you have any information from anyone else. Thank you for all the help you have given.

Eileen M

Eileen,

Trip Advisor has a number of reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d81757-Reviews-San_Pedro_Inn_and_Suites_Hotel-Los_Angeles_California.html

I hope I did this correctly for you!

Thats why I booked the hotel because the reviews were good but I am just concerned no one on Cruise Critic mentions it. Thank you for your help.

Eileen M

The San Pedro Inn and Suites is under new management and a much nicer hotel than before. Most folks prefer to stay at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza as they are closer to the water with more amenities. 1st and Gaffey is not the greatest spot for restaurants and other provisions but the hotel does have a shuttle. Call and see if they will take you around town.

Out of curiosity, where will the Iowa be moored relative to the World Cruise Terminal?

It is right off our balcony right now but on June 9th will be taken to her final resting place at Berth 87...next to the Fireboat House. There are very few three ship days over the next two years so those will be accomodated near the Lane Victory which has been moved to Berth 47 in the outer harbor. The Port has a plan to make sure everyone is happy.

899143315_USSIowa.jpg.77ef12d894336ec96c72e9114949f246.jpg

Click on pic for larger image