Airfare to Europe from US ?

suev

First Europeon cruise from the US and I am wondering if any experienced cruisers have any knowledge of generally when is the best time to buy airfare for the cheapest price for a summer (August) cruise. We are leaving out Chicago, going to Stockholm and airfare now is approx 1100/pp Is this a good price? Do they generally go down or up from there?

Appreciate any advice you may have.

Generally speaking, the earlier you book the cheaper it is. Problem is various airlines have sales at different times, so you never really know! (I'm a lot of help aren't I!:D). When we did our TA last year, a lot of the US passengers got a good deal at http://www.bt-store.com/ ; try them.

Also remember, if you weren't going direct to S'holm (say you had a couple of days in London) the baggage limits are more restrictive on internal European flights than on a TA, so you may be best to fly direct to S'holm. (If you have to stop en route due to available flights, your TA baggage allowance should still apply.)

Simon

This year is BAD for airfare. I normally don't pay over $700 for a R/T flight to Frankfurt, this year everything was coming in at about $1000. It is really bad, so I gave earning frequent flier miles on my upcoming trip just to get a lower airfare. I still came in at $965.

I wouldn't really wait, usually airfares only go UP unless you book with a ticket consolidator or find a charter flight.

Have you looked at flights from Minneapolis/St Paul on Icelandic Air? They have a 'decent' rate if you fly in tiny coach with no food options.

I just booked my flight from boston to copenhagen with Iceland Air for sept 2011....my price was $700 p/p for economy comfort one way.....The regular economy price was around $421.00 , but i chose the economy comfort because the middle seat is left empty...

I agree with Sauer-Kraut, I think this is a tough year for airfares. The airlines have taken planes out of production and demand is rising. We bought tickets for our June cruise about a month ago and the price has already risen by $200.

Kirk

It is like playing craps in trying to predict airfares but as long as the long as the cost of oil continues to soar its unlikely there are going to be good air fares in the summer season. As somebody else posted, the chances of fare increases are probably greater then the chance of finding a substantial reduction. Airlines seem to be willing to reduce the number of flights rather then offer low fares.

Hank

It is like playing craps in trying to predict airfares but as long as the long as the cost of oil continues to soar its unlikely there are going to be good air fares in the summer season. As somebody else posted, the chances of fare increases are probably greater then the chance of finding a substantial reduction. Airlines seem to be willing to reduce the number of flights rather then offer low fares.

Hank

We booked our Brittish Airways flights from Memphis to London, (2days layover), London to Lisbon, cruise to Copenhagen, return Copenhagen to Memphis (Copenhagen-London-Chicago-Memphis) yesterday for $1200 per person. Cruise line prices were double that, and did not allow the stop for London!

Buy now since price of fuel will rise because of summer and the unrest in Egypt etc does not help!

Hank

Just booked our airfare for our Baltic trip and the ship leaves from Rotterdam on June 2. I did not want an overnight flight to arrive the same day so we booked leaving here May 31, arriving at Schiphol (near Amsterdam) early in the morning. We have not booked a hotel in Rotterdam yet.

The ship arrives back in Rotterdam on June 14 but could not get a reasonable flight price from there. Cannot leave on the 9:10 a.m. as disembarkation doesn't start until about 8 a.m. No chance. On the 15th we can and I had to book a hotel near the airport with a shuttle. Cost is 99 euros but we saved over $200 each by not taking the later flight on June 14th. We only want direct non stop flights. They take 7 hours and 20 mitutes going and 8 hour and 20 minutes returning.

We leave from Toronto as that is where we live. Return there too.

The price worked out to $889.09 each so that was not too bad. When I tried the same with the proper dates the fare was nearly $2,400 for both of us return. We are going with KLM. I wonder if the cruise line put a hold on the better times, hence the higher cost.

I need to book Houston to London for June. I've checked several online travel agencies (including priceline), airline websites, and 2 local travel agents. They all have exactly the same price--$1164. I was hoping to find it cheaper, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. The PrincessAir price for the same flight is about $300 higher.

Just booked our airfare for our Baltic trip and the ship leaves from Rotterdam on June 2. I did not want an overnight flight to arrive the same day so we booked leaving here May 31, arriving at Schiphol (near Amsterdam) early in the morning. We have not booked a hotel in Rotterdam yet.

The ship arrives back in Rotterdam on June 14 but could not get a reasonable flight price from there. Cannot leave on the 9:10 a.m. as disembarkation doesn't start until about 8 a.m. No chance. On the 15th we can and I had to book a hotel near the airport with a shuttle. Cost is 99 euros but we saved over $200 each by not taking the later flight on June 14th. We only want direct non stop flights. They take 7 hours and 20 mitutes going and 8 hour and 20 minutes returning.

We leave from Toronto as that is where we live. Return there too.

The price worked out to $889.09 each so that was not too bad. When I tried the same with the proper dates the fare was nearly $2,400 for both of us return. We are going with KLM. I wonder if the cruise line put a hold on the better times, hence the higher cost.

Take care of the Rotterdam as we are on the cruise after yours :D.

Kirk

Take care of the Rotterdam as we are on the cruise after yours :D.

Kirk

We purchased our airfare today, as well. We are flying direct from Toronto to Amsterdam on KLM. Including all fees, taxes, etc. $1099.00 pp. We are on the final cruise of the Baltic onboard the Rotterdam. So excited.

Marilyn

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know of any good rates from any of the New York area airports (preferably Newark) to Rome?

Is it now early/mid February and the cruise is at the end of June. Is it better for me to by now, or does anyone think the prices will go down?

Thanks,

Travel R

We are flying to Amsterdam from Philadelphia (we live in DC area but my mom is in Philly and she is going with us) RT and the ticket prices was crazy $1500. It was bit cheaper on Iceland air out of Dulles but the savings would not be as much as we would have to drive round trip to NJ to get my mom (6 hours) plus we are flying US Air and my mom was able to use her miles to get a free business class ticket and hopefully will at least be able to upgrade one of us (ME ME ME - as we are all going for my 50th b-day - Roger and then my 3 boys 16,16,20) so it is not cheap at all - but we booked now as our travel agent indicted she thinks they will go up not down this year in price

Sharon

Archived