What to do in Alesund?

I also sent an email to 62Nord - I got a reply back saying to try the tourist office.

I am sorry to say that I have not had the time to contact them as I am really busy this week with finishing one job and starting another big job aaand prepairng to go on vacation to Cuba on Friday.

I will see what I am able to do tomorrow:)

You are awesome! Thank you so much for your help in this!! :cool:

Have a fabulous time in Cuba. I've been there three times and it is lovely! :D

You are awesome! Thank you so much for your help in this!! :cool:

Have a fabulous time in Cuba. I've been there three times and it is lovely! :D

Hi:) I talked to the tourist office and they said the only and best option:D would be Aalesund Taxi.

http://www.alesund-taxi.no/en/Default.aspx

I would email Executive Chairman /CeO - you will find all the info at "Contact us"

I would ask for an experienced driver with local knowledge an I am sure you will have a fantastic day out:)

Thank you, we have been to Cuba once before - my MIL lives there:)

It sure is going to be fantastic to escape the winter for 2 weeks.

Lars

Imyren,

Can you tell me more about the Troll Path? Also, regarding the 420 steps: They don't look steep, but are there places to sit and rest?

My knees have trouble with steps in our two story house. Maybe I need to skip these?

I think some of those steps in some parts are steep.

There are some places with benches where you can sit and rest.

Since you have trouble with steps in your house I would suggest to drive up to the look out point.

The troll path is spetacular!!!!!!! Its pure beautiful nature....Huge mountains and narrow roads curving down the steep mountain side and waterfalls (of course:))

At the top there is a wonderful look out point where you hang in free air looking hundre of meters right down:)

If you choose to do the troll path you will have a memory you will never forget.

Lars, I've heard back from 62Nord and they have recommended this tour:

http://www.62nord.net/sightseeing-tours/hjorundfjord-cruise/1061/0/

Is this a good option for us? She says that we spend an hour at the hotel, so it would be three hours on the fjord (the hike is way too long to do).

Well, its a nice tour but it only goes to Oye. Hjorundfjord is also a beautiful fjord but Geiranger is for sure the jewel:)

The hotel Union is an old hotel, beautiful but nothing special exept for the ghost in the Blue room:D

But if you decide to do this tour with Aalesund on your own then at least you have a reason to return to do Geiranger etc.

When are you arriving and on which ship??

Well, its a nice tour but it only goes to Oye. Hjorundfjord is also a beautiful fjord but Geiranger is for sure the jewel:)

The hotel Union is an old hotel, beautiful but nothing special exept for the ghost in the Blue room:D

But if you decide to do this tour with Aalesund on your own then at least you have a reason to return to do Geiranger etc.

When are you arriving and on which ship??

On Friday August 5 on the HAL Eurodam. The tour is from 3:00 - 7:00 PM which would give us time to see Alesund beforehand. The price is 495 DKR which seems reasonable to me.

Your taxi for the day idea sounds great, but I'm worried that it might be too expensive? :o

I think some of those steps in some parts are steep.

There are some places with benches where you can sit and rest.

Since you have trouble with steps in your house I would suggest to drive up to the look out point.

The troll path is spetacular!!!!!!! Its pure beautiful nature....Huge mountains and narrow roads curving down the steep mountain side and waterfalls (of course:))

At the top there is a wonderful look out point where you hang in free air looking hundre of meters right down:)

If you choose to do the troll path you will have a memory you will never forget.

Thank you so much. I am going to look for Troll path tours....sounds like my kind of place, especially on a clear day.

On Friday August 5 on the HAL Eurodam. The tour is from 3:00 - 7:00 PM which would give us time to see Alesund beforehand. The price is 495 DKR which seems reasonable to me.

Your taxi for the day idea sounds great, but I'm worried that it might be too expensive? :o

it is a really good price for this tour. I suspect a taxi tour will be 3-4 times as much.

I am sure you will enjoy the tour to Oye and the fjords:)...It is a beautiful area you are visiting.

So from the price, timing and itinerary I would say go for the tour with 62Nord.

Lars:)

it is a really good price for this tour. I suspect a taxi tour will be 3-4 times as much.

I am sure you will enjoy the tour to Oye and the fjords:)...It is a beautiful area you are visiting.

So from the price, timing and itinerary I would say go for the tour with 62Nord.

Lars:)

Thanks Lars! One more question for you, is Alesund a place that we can tour on our own (including Mt Aksla - using local transportation) and fully appreciate? Or should we do a ship's tour? We will have from about 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM (fjord tour leaves at 3:00 PM).

Thanks Lars! One more question for you, is Alesund a place that we can tour on our own (including Mt Aksla - using local transportation) and fully appreciate? Or should we do a ship's tour? We will have from about 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM (fjord tour leaves at 3:00 PM).

In my view, the town is fairly compact and you can do most of the key highlights on your own before your 3 pm fjord tour. With good weather, don't miss Mt. Aksla.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Never do a ships tour!! :)

The town is compact enough to do it on your own.

Dont miss Mt. Aksla (either walk or take a taxi)

The Junged museum is interesting if you are into history.

There are other museums, Aquariums but they are outside town.

I would just walk around and explore...

Lars I have one more tour option for you to check out for me! I've been in touch with the company, fjord1.no, and they assure me that we can do the tour within our time frame.

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/Product/?TLp=416106

What do you think of this choice? Better than the Hjorundfjord one with 62Nord?

Thanks again soooo much for your advice! Have a wonderful time in Cuba!! :cool:

Lars I have one more tour option for you to check out for me! I've been in touch with the company, fjord1.no, and they assure me that we can do the tour within our time frame.

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/Product/?TLp=416106

What do you think of this choice? Better than the Hjorundfjord one with 62Nord?

Thanks again soooo much for your advice! Have a wonderful time in Cuba!! :cool:

Hit me anytime - Its fun helping you out to make the most of your day in Ålesund:)

I think Geiranger is far better, beautiful, stunning, interesting then the 62Nord tour...Geiranger is pure beauty.

The fjord 1 trip is by far better and I would go for that tour.

My question is, is this tour on your own with public transport or will you have a tour guide/leader with you???

The public transportation is really reliable around here but as I always do when I do on my own or private tours I bring the telephone numbers to a few local

taxi companies just in case.

Always when I go ashore I bring with me the telephone number and address to the port agent and pier:)

Edited by lmyren

Hit me anytime - Its fun helping you out to make the most of your day in Ålesund:)

I think Geiranger is far better, beautiful, stunning, interesting then the 62Nord tour...Geiranger is pure beauty.

The fjord 1 trip is by far better and I would go for that tour.

My question is, is this tour on your own with public transport or will you have a tour guide/leader with you???

The public transportation is really reliable around here but as I always do when I do on my own or private tours I bring the telephone numbers to a few local

taxi companies just in case.

Always when I go ashore I bring with me the telephone number and address to the port agent and pier:)

Awesome! You are very sweet. I will definitely find out about whether there will be a tour guide and bring phone numbers with us for taxis, etc. :)

Yay, we get to see Geiranger!! :D Thank you again!!

• 1 month later...

Shouldn't that be NOK - not DKR? I don't think you can use Danish money in Norway.

We traveled with Fjord1 buses/ferries back in 2005 and were very impressed. We went in the opposite direction, started off in Åndalsnes, Trollstigen, Ferry Linge-Eidsdal and then on to Geiranger, where we stayed for a couple of nights and from where we visited Hellesylt.

Absolutely fantastic scenery all around - especially in good weather like we had most of the time :)

A few more images if you need any more convincing ... (more pictures from the trip HERE )

On the ferry towards Linge

PICT0030.JPG

On the way from Eidsdal to Geiranger

PICT0032.JPG

Our first look at Geiranger

PICT250033.JPG

Approach to Hellesylt on the boat from Geiranger

PICT0019-1.JPG

Terry, saw your comments regarding Alesund. We were there last year and spent the day in and around the city (on our own) and did more then our share of walking and hiking. Your rental car comment really "tickled my fancy" so please tell us more. Also let me know about your rental car agency.

Hank

Terry, saw your comments regarding Alesund. We were there last year and spent the day in and around the city (on our own) and did more then our share of walking and hiking. Your rental car comment really "tickled my fancy" so please tell us more. Also let me know about your rental car agency. Hank

Hi, Hank! Glad I was able to "tickled your fancy". I don't dare say anymore with a set-up line like that one. Just walk away and say no more.

We were in Alesund on a Sunday, July 4. In Europe, Sundays can be a little challenging for car rentals. We got our car through http://www.tigercarrental.com. You can also call to 800-472-3325 for Budget. Or you can e-mail to:

reservations@tigercarrental.com

Also check: http://www.myrentalcar.com

We picked up the car at a 7-11 convenience store in the town near the docking area.

We went to Runde Island. This did involve taking a ferry, but that was part of the fun to experience what real people do there in Norway to get around along this fascinating coast. It is 15 miles from the Alesund dock to ferry point. Five-mile ferry ride, then 24 miles to Runde. For more ferry info: E-mails: post@tide.no Fare zone 8: $15 for car, plus $3 a person, each way. http://eng.tide.no/Default.aspx?pageid=1059

Local Tourism Office: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com

Their e-mail: info@visitalesund.com

Info on this Runde Island: http://www.runde.no

Does help? What else do you need? Below are a few pictures from our driving and Runde Island trip.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 35,650 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

To the south of Alesund is Runde Island, famous for its birds and scenic views. This show a house on this beautiful island with the mountains on other nearby islands.:

RundeIsHouseMountains.jpg

Runde Island has a very small population, except for the thousands of birds. Here is one of the small farm there with a wall of rock behind it.:

RundeIsFarmRockWall.jpg

Here are a few views from Runde Island, showing the unique bridge design allowing access to this island. It is a one-land bridge with a wide spot at its top to allow for passing cars. Plus a couple others, including on the ferry crossing. :

RundeIsBridge.jpg

RundeIslandRocks.jpg

FerryCrossing.jpg

We'll be in Alesund on Monday July 25, arriving at 8am and departing at 5pm, on the Celebrity Constellation. I've been planning on doing a similar day trip to Terry, driving to Runde, and have booked a car for the day. We would also like to look around the town, even if just for an hour, as well as stop at the Aksla viewpoint. We have to have the car back by 4pm.

I'm also considering the 7 hour Celebrity "Path of the Trolls" shore tour which leaves at 8.30am instead of going to Runde:

"Your coach will take you through green scenery along Storfjorden to medieval Stordal Church. The tour continues along the fjord to the village of Valldal. Next stop is at the Gudbrand's Gorge. You will be served your lunch at the Trollstigen Fjellstue. From the restaurant and the close-by viewpoint you can enjoy the stunning view. You will proceed by bus down the fantastic Trollstigroad, Path of the Trolls, which winds its way in 11 hairpin bends blasted out of the mountainside. The drive then takes you to Andalsnes, a charming village, and further along the Romsdalsfjord back towards Alesund, passing farms and villages along the way."

The only problem with doing this tour is that we won't have time to look around the town or visit the Aksla viewpoint as well. If it returns on time it would be back by 3.30pm which would give an hour at the most to look at part of the town but not to go to Aksla. We'd have to be back at the ship by 4.30pm - would it be practical to catch a cab to Aksla and have it wait for us while we take photos and then return to the ship within an hour?

How practical would it be if we drove to many of the places covered by this tour instead of driving to Runde? We could then stop at the Aksla viewpoint on our way out. Would it be too risky to consider following the full route the tour takes and be comfortably back in Alesund by 4pm to return the car? We won't need to spend a long time eating lunch so could have a snack and keep moving.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ken

Terry,

We were able to reserve a car directly from Budget for a really good price. I looked on the map but cannot figure how far Budget is from the port. Do you know if its the same location (the 7-11) you used last year. The Budget address in the reservation is Nedre Standgt 50, Aalesund 6005.

At this time we have clue as to what we want to do on our day in that port. The good news for us it that it is a weekday (no Sunday issues) and we are in port from 9 until 9 which is a nice long day for a rental car. It also happens that Budget is open until 10 pm.

Hank

Terry,

We were able to reserve a car directly from Budget for a really good price. I looked on the map but cannot figure how far Budget is from the port. Do you know if its the same location (the 7-11) you used last year. The Budget address in the reservation is Nedre Standgt 50, Aalesund 6005.

At this time we have clue as to what we want to do on our day in that port. The good news for us it that it is a weekday (no Sunday issues) and we are in port from 9 until 9 which is a nice long day for a rental car. It also happens that Budget is open until 10 pm.

Hank

According to Google maps it is 1km from the dock to Budget's location (A is dock location, B is Budget car hire)

%C3%85lesund%20Budget.jpg

Terry, We were able to reserve a car directly from Budget for a really good price. I looked on the map but cannot figure how far Budget is from the port. Do you know if its the same location (the 7-11) you used last year. The Budget address in the reservation is Nedre Standgt 50, Aalesund 6005. At this time we have clue as to what we want to do on our day in that port. The good news for us it that it is a weekday (no Sunday issues) and we are in port from 9 until 9 which is a nice long day for a rental car. It also happens that Budget is open until 10 pm. Hank

Koz1: The only problem with doing this tour is that we won't have time to look around the town or visit the Aksla viewpoint as well. If it returns on time it would be back by 3.30pm which would give an hour at the most to look at part of the town but not to go to Aksla. We'd have to be back at the ship by 4.30pm - would it be practical to catch a cab to Aksla and have it wait for us while we take photos and then return to the ship within an hour? How practical would it be if we drove to many of the places covered by this tour instead of driving to Runde? We could then stop at the Aksla viewpoint on our way out. Would it be too risky to consider following the full route the tour takes and be comfortably back in Alesund by 4pm to return the car? We won't need to spend a long time eating lunch so could have a snack and keep moving.

Good to hear' date=' Hank, that you've got your car lined up and that it is not on a Sunday. Plus, [i']having a 9 to 9 day there really gives you lots of nice flexibility.[/i] YES, from both the map and the address, it seems that you will be picking up from car from the 7-11 there in Alesund. They have fuel at this location, too. We walked there from the docking area and it was an easy and interesting walk to get there and sample a portion of the town. Great map and details from boeckli.

For Ken or Koz1, your timing is tighter. Hopefully, it maybe will ALL work. Maybe not. Much will depend on your weather, how many ships are in port that day, etc. At the 7-11 when picking up our car, they were a little slow and busy at the time. It all worked fine for us, but you need to be flexible. Love so much there in and around Alesund. In most cases, it doesn't get over-run with too many tourists, making it easier to see and experience so much. Lots of good options to consider.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 35,890 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

WOW. We are really grateful for both Terry and Boeckli. You have to love that this kind of detailed info is quickly available here. We were able to get an tiny Economy car for less then $90 which makes it about the cheapest thing in Norway where even a hamburger can cost $30. Now I need to think about whether we need a more powerful car since we wonder how a 1.3 Liter engine can handle the hills in the region (sounds like a motorcycle engine in a car :)

Part of our thinking is that we might want to Geiranger Fjord and take a ferry into the Fjord. With nearly an 11 hour driving day that seems really doable. We are also interested in Terry's Runde Island drive....and then there is also the Troll Highway. So many options...so little time. Now we just have to pray for good weather (it was perfect when we were there last June).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner