What to do in Alesund?

We are sold on your route. When I played around with my Garmin modeling software it came-up with the same route. We are not sure how this will work with our port times but my thinking is we would probably aim for the 2pm ferry on the Geiranger. We will not be hurrying to get back to Alesund since we spent our entire day there last year.

Hank

Good one - glad I could help:) and like you said; "pray for good weather".

I forget how long you are in port for......9pm???.....I think I would maybe aim for the 11am ferry to Geiranger to get the most out of your day BUT the 2pm ferry is good as an option 2.

Thanks, Lars.

62Nord will not work out. Their trip is at 18:00 and we are docked from 9:00 to 17:00. I sent an email to the other company. They do have frequent departures and that could work out.

May have to opt for driving. When you say the drive to Runde takes 2.5 to 3 hours, I presume that's one way. ViaMichelin says 1:47, but I guess we have to wait for the ferry and that adds extra time. How frequent are the ferries?

I really appreciate your help.

I was taking into consideration the ferry, photo stops and probably a wrong turn here and there:):)

The ferry schedule from Sulesund to Haried:

http://www.tide.no/uploads/documents/Ferjeruter/2010_More/1033_Hareid-Sulesund_2010.pdf

You could also take the speed boat from the harbour in Ålesund to Hareid.

http://www.tide.no/uploads/documents/HurtigbaatRuter/More_2010/2060_Hareidruta_2010-v2.pdf

Then rent a car to/from Ulsteinvik which will shorten your trip with much over 1 hour!!

This is the prefered itinerary in my optinion as you do not have to drive from Ålesund to Sulesund (40 minutes drive and the ferry 30 minutes)

The speed boat take 20-30 minutes only.

here is a link to a route map from Hareid to Runde:

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Itineraires?strStartLocid=32NDF0ODg0NjA2MDEwY05qSXVNemN4TlRjPWNOaTR3TWpZMU1nPT0=&strDestLocid=31NG90NGgxMGNOakl1TXprME16RT04TlM0Mk5EVTU=&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strVehicle=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&isAvoidFrontiers=true&dtmDeparture=19%2F04%2F2011&distance=km&devise=1.0|EUR&indemnite=&carbCost=1.3&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6

The route planner says 53 minutes but I would say 1.5 just to be sure.

Lars,

I assume I can rent the car at Hareid and don't have to get to Ulsteinvik to do it. I'm not sure how Ulsteinvik figures into this other than I have to drive through it on the way to Rundae. ?? Is the speedboat dock near the cruise dock?

This is an interesting routing and the times would work very well with the cruise stop.

Thanks.

Edited by marazul

Lars,

I assume I can rent the car at Hareid and don't have to get to Ulsteinvik to do it. I'm not sure how Ulsteinvik figures into this other than I have to drive through it on the way to Rundae. ?? Is the speedboat dock near the cruise dock?

This is an interesting routing and the times would work very well with the cruise stop.

Thanks.

I belive AVIS is in Hareid (I made a faux booking and Hareid came up as a pick up/delivery point)

You will drive pass Ulsteinvik...its the place with all the ship warfs.

The speed boat docks at "Skateflua" pier which is 5 minutes walk from the cruise pier and its easy to find.:)

Speedboat and car it is!

Interestingly, Utihavet offers the 62Nord RIB boat trips. They referrred to each other in their emails. Unfortunately for me, we are in Alesund on a Saturday from 9:00 to 17:00 and the RIB boat trip is only offered Monday-Friday at 18:00! My only option was to charter a boat for 8800NOK. So, as I said, speedboat and car.

I'm surprised this tour is not offered more frequently and at earlier times. I think it would be very popular with cruise passengers (better than Fiske and Godoy!). In fact, all RIB boat excursions offered by the cruise line in other ports are fully subscribed. Alesund-Runde could be really popular too.

Thank you for your help. It's great to have a resident expert on Alesund. I'll star making all bookings.

Speedboat and car it is! Thank you for your help. It's great to have a resident expert on Alesund. I'll star making all bookings.

Glad that you're all set and that lmyren has been so super helpful. Below are three additional pictures that I have not previously posted on some of the sights and views you'll enjoy for your "adventure".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a closer view from Runde Island, showing the unique “S” bridge design allowing access to this island. It is a one-land bridge with a wide spot at its top to allow for passing cars.:

AlesundSouthBridgeCurve.jpg

On the way back from Runde Island, here are two other views. First, a coastal village with dramatic mountains in the background. Second, as we crossed the water on the ferry with snow-capped mountains in July in Norway.:

AlesundSouthCoastVillage.jpg

AlesundSouthWaterCrossingMtns.jpg

Good one - glad I could help:) and like you said; "pray for good weather".

I forget how long you are in port for......9pm???.....I think I would maybe aim for the 11am ferry to Geiranger to get the most out of your day BUT the 2pm ferry is good as an option 2.

We do hear you on the earlier ferry, and if things go our way we might make the 11 or 12:30 ferry. But we are in port from 9 to 9 (we can hope that Capt Gunderson gets us in a bit early) which means it will probably be past 9:30 before we can even get our car. What we love about "doing our own thing" is knowing all the options and then just taking things as they happen. DWs comment to me was she did not want to feel rushed on the drive (this is DW-speak for stopping and smelling the Roses (guess there are no Roses in Norway)).

Hank

We do hear you on the earlier ferry, and if things go our way we might make the 11 or 12:30 ferry. But we are in port from 9 to 9 (we can hope that Capt Gunderson gets us in a bit early) which means it will probably be past 9:30 before we can even get our car. What we love about "doing our own thing" is knowing all the options and then just taking things as they happen. DWs comment to me was she did not want to feel rushed on the drive (this is DW-speak for stopping and smelling the Roses (guess there are no Roses in Norway)).

Hank

you should definitly stop and smell the roses - thats what vacation time is all about.

If you want a nice cold beer stop by Quality Hotel Waterfront by the pier.

Glad that you're all set and that lmyren has been so super helpful. Below are three additional pictures that I have not previously posted on some of the sights and views you'll enjoy for your "adventure".

Thanks, Terry. It will be a fun drive.

Quality Hotel Waterfront by the pier.

Thanks, I'll remember that one. We are still deciding tram vs taxi up the mountain and on to Troll Road. I think we will see what the weather is like upon arrival since tram reservations are not taken. Are there lots of opportunities to grab a cab/tour upon arrival in Alesund?

Quality Hotel Waterfront by the pier.

Thanks, I'll remember that one. We are still deciding tram vs taxi up the mountain and on to Troll Road. I think we will see what the weather is like upon arrival since tram reservations are not taken. Are there lots of opportunities to grab a cab/tour upon arrival in Alesund?

yup, we open July 6.

Yes, there are lots of cabs either by the cruise pier, by the hotel (next to the pier) or by the town hall (1 minute walk from the pier)

We are still deciding tram vs taxi up the mountain and on to Troll Road. I think we will see what the weather is like upon arrival since tram reservations are not taken. Are there lots of opportunities to grab a cab/tour upon arrival in Alesund?

sansterre,

not sure what tram you mean? Is it the little Bytoget train?

sansterre,

not sure what tram you mean? Is it the little Bytoget train?

Yes, the Bytoget train! Though it looks more like a tram or trolley that a train. It doesn't look like it runs on tracks. Have you been on it? Is it guided in English, explaining things you are seeing?

If not, may take a taxi up the mountain and out to Troll Road.

Again, weather is a factor. Hoping for a clear day, or at least part of the day:)

Terry in Ohio -- Thanks for posting your beautiful photos. They were instrumental in helping me persuade my husband to go on this trip!:D

Lars -- Thanks once again for your willingness to give great advice and such detailed map and ferry information. And my apologies for mistaking the L in your screen name for an I. :(

Hiltner -- I'd be very grateful if you'd report back after your driving adventure during your port stop in Alesund. I'd love to hear all about it, and in fact, your whole trip since we'll be coming behind you in a few weeks.

Melissa

Edited by melissasimon

Yes, the Bytoget train! Though it looks more like a tram or trolley that a train. It doesn't look like it runs on tracks. Have you been on it? Is it guided in English, explaining things you are seeing?

Again, weather is a factor. Hoping for a clear day, or at least part of the day:)

Haven't been there, but from the pictures in their website it seems to run on wheels. http://www.bytoget.no/

Let's hope for sunny weather!

Terry in Ohio -- Thanks for posting your beautiful photos. They were instrumental in helping me persuade my husband to go on this trip!:D

Lars -- Thanks once again for your willingness to give great advice and such detailed map and ferry information. And my apologies for mistaking the L in your screen name for an I. :(

Hiltner -- I'd be very grateful if you'd report back after your driving adventure during your port stop in Alesund. I'd love to hear all about it, and in fact, your whole trip since we'll be coming behind you in a few weeks.

Melissa

:) you are welcome - anytime.

I think I prefer the "I" to the "L" in my screen name:)

Lars, we also thank you for your guidance. If we have time when we return to Alesund (from our June 15th driving trip) we will stop by the Quality Hotel Bar. If you are still there we owe you a drink!

Melissa, we will not be back in the US until July 12 and I can post some info around that time if you are still home. If we happen to be in an internet cafe or public library before that time we will also put up some info on our driving trip. We don't normally do posting from the ship as the internet pricing is a bit steep on HA.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Terry in Ohio -- Thanks for posting your beautiful photos. They were instrumental in helping me persuade my husband to go on this trip!:D Melissa

THANKS, Melissa, for the nice comments! I'll be looking in my mailbox for the "commission" check from your cruise line. Enjoy your adventure! Be sure to post here on how things were on your trip, what you saw and liked most, etc. Which cruise line are you using for your late July, early August cruise? Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,170 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

It does not run on tracks (like a tram or 'real' train) but on road wheels like a car or bus. When we were on it last August, commentary was in English and German (there was a large German contingent on board QM2)

Queen%20Mary%202%20240810%201%200115.JPG

Lars, we also thank you for your guidance. If we have time when we return to Alesund (from our June 15th driving trip) we will stop by the Quality Hotel Bar. If you are still there we owe you a drink!

Melissa, we will not be back in the US until July 12 and I can post some info around that time if you are still home. If we happen to be in an internet cafe or public library before that time we will also put up some info on our driving trip. We don't normally do posting from the ship as the internet pricing is a bit steep on HA.

Hank

Its just fun:)love to do it! I hope you will have a great cruise and a wonderful day in Ålesund. I wish I would come with you guys but as we are opening this new baby (read hotel) July 6 we are swamped with work:)

It does not run on tracks (like a tram or 'real' train) but on road wheels like a car or bus. When we were on it last August, commentary was in English and German (there was a large German contingent on board QM2)

Queen%20Mary%202%20240810%201%200115.JPG

Thanks, train looks inviting, especially if it is a nice day. Trams in the US - at least in Fl. are like this. For example the tram that takes us from the parking lot to Disneyworld, Epcot etc. (no rails, just connected cars).