What to do in Alesund?

My ship is offering Giske and Godoey with following description:

"The community of Giske consists of several islands, two of which you visit: Giske Island and Godoey Island. Today, the islands' inhabitants have a ferry-free connection with the town of Aalesund and the mainland. Giske is known as the Saga Island for the Viking Chieftain Rollo, who was born here. To reach the islands, drive via bridges and undersea-tunnels, the longest about 2.5 miles long. On the fairly flat and fertile Giske Island, there have been settlements since the early Bronze Age. Visit Giske Church dating back to 1150, originally a chapel belonging to the mighty Giske family.

Continue to Godoey Island and the small fishing village of Alnes, facing the Atlantic Ocean, where you visit its interesting lighthouse. On clear days, visitors are afforded a fantastic view of the ocean and surrounding islands."

Imagine that - Now I have something to do on Sunday:) Thank you.

We are really enjoying some of the suggestions for a driving day out of Alesund. Melissa's (and Imyran's) itinerary sounds like fun. Is there any downside to that itinerary?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks to all for your great suggestions on how best to spend our day in Alesund. We will be in port from 8AM until 9PM, arriving on the HAL Eurodam on August 5, 2011. Since Alesund is the the northernmost stop that our ship makes in Norway, I really want to make the most of our day.

After exploring several tour options, I've come back around to the idea of renting a car and following the itinerary that Imyren suggested. Putting the itinerary into Google maps, it looks like this:

Alesund to Sykkylven: 29 km, 52 minutes --includes a ferry ride

Sykkylven to Hellesylt: 58 km, 57 minutes

Hellesylt to Geirangerfjord: 13 km, 33 minutes -- includes ferry

Geirangerfjord to Alesund: 116 km, 2 hours, 12 minutes

Total time: 4 hours, 33 minutes.

This itinerary unfortunately does not include the drive out to Andalsnes. (If the drive has gone perfectly up to that point we could always add it.) With 13 hours in port, we must allow time for picking up and returning the rental car, stops to admire the view, hopefully a lunch stop, and some wiggle room for getting confused or lost. Also -- and this is a big question -- how often do the ferries run? A lengthy wait for a ferry could wreck our schedule.

The great reward here is to get out into the gorgeous countryside and to spend a bit of time on the Geirangerfjord. Assuming that we hustle to get off the ship and get going, do you think that, barring disaster, this plan will work? Thanks so much once again for your advice!

To answer the last part of your question. Sorry I didnt see it before.This is a very good plan.

With 13 hours in port you have plenty of time to make lots of photo stops, have lunch...make it a leisurely day.

You should aim for the 930am ferry from Hellesylt to Geiranger.

This will give you time to also do the Troll road to Aandalsnes.

Here is the 2011 ferry schedule:

http://www.fjord1.no/filesystem/2010/11/ruter_og_priser_2011_rute_18_hefte_2421.pdf

http://www.fjord1.no/filesystem/2010/11/prices_geiranger_-_hellesylt_2011_2432.pdf

We are really enjoying some of the suggestions for a driving day out of Alesund. Melissa's (and Imyran's) itinerary sounds like fun. Is there any downside to that itinerary?

Hank

No,not really....Blinded by all the beauty maybe and start hoping for a day with nice weatehr. :D As with any private tours you should allow for extra time getting back to the ship just in case. Never make "too" tight a schedule and aim to get back to the ship a few hours before departure.

Again, bring with you telephone numbers to the ship, the port agent, police, the car rescue people and taxi...

Thank you! That makes our decision to go to Runde. I am actually looking at a boat trip out there.

Enjoy Runde Island, the routing going there and back, etc. Look forward to hearing how it all goes, etc. Lots of nice options in and around Alesund.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,850 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

canadarocks-

the Bytoget website says they have extra trains when there is a ship in town. It also seems to imply that they are at thedock, but it's not clear.

Let us know what they say.

marazul

I've emailed them twice, but no response as of yet. Perhaps it is too early in the season. Hopefully soon.

Melissa, Since we are thinking along the same lines in Alesund (we were in that port a year ago) and are both doing our "homework" it might be fun to get together on the ship (we love to hang out in the Crows Nest) and share notes. We are in cabin 424 (unless the upgrade fairy pays a visit).

Hank

Hank, that sounds great. This is our first time on a HAL ship, so we look forward to checking out the Crow's Nest. Maybe we can exchange e-mails closer to our departure date to set something up. If anyone else is interested, they could join us too.

Upon looking carefully at the route, it appears that there's a third ferry along the way, the Eidsdal-Linge/Rv63 ferry. This itinerary is going to be an adventure, and should be a wonderful day.

Melissa

Melissa and Hank: are you sure you are on the same cruise. Not sure, but I think one of you is on our cruise in June, the other later in July or August.

Ahhh. Now that does create logisitcal problems :) Yes, we are the ship in May-June. After printing out this latest ferry schedule we now have lots of roads, lots of ferrys, don't really know what goes where, etc etc. This is going to be great fun.

Hank

Thanks, Sansterre.....glad somebody can keep our schedules straight even if we can't! ;) Oh well, Hank, it was a nice idea. And now you can be the first to go on the driving adventure from Alesund, and then tell us all about it!

Thanks once again to Imyren for posting the third ferry schedule.

Melissa

LMyren: Hope you had a great vacation in Cuba!

We are in port from 9 to 9 (of course that means on land from 10-8). Could we do the tram/train up the mountain at 11 (one hour?) and then hire a taxi to Troll Path? How long would that taxi ride take?

Would it be better to reverse the two? Start early with a taxi to Troll Path, then finish on the Mt.? I suppose much depends on the day's weather. Does it tend to be foggy in the am and then clear in the afternoon. Or is it like Florida, nice in the am and rain likely every afternoon?

Tak!

Edited by sansterre

LMyren: Hope you had a great vacation in Cuba!

We are in port from 9 to 9 (of course that means on land from 10-8). Could we do the tram/train up the mountain at 11 (one hour?) and then hire a taxi to Troll Path? How long would that taxi ride take?

Would it be better to reverse the two? Start early with a taxi to Troll Path, then finish on the Mt.? I suppose much depends on the day's weather. Does it tend to be foggy in the am and then clear in the afternoon. Or is it like Florida, nice in the am and rain likely every afternoon?

Tak!

We had a lovely time in Cuba, thank you for asking. Its always great to be there visiting family.

First of all, when it comes to the weather here then there is no pattern....So I could say "yes" to both your questions:D Usually what I have found is that May and June is goodish, july is rainy and August is sunny and dry.

If you are going to take a taxi tour to the Troll path you might as well take the same taxi tour to Mt Aksla instead of the train. The taxi tour to the view point and a little tour around town is not going to cost much more if any.

The taxi to the Troll path will take around 2-2.5 hours...Then 30 minutes stop at the top of the path and another 30 -45 minutes drive down the path.

Driving back the same way or via Aandalsnes will take aprox the same amount of time.

I finally "broke-out" some of my Garmin software to do some route planning (which I can then upload to my Garmin unit). Based on some of the posts here we came up with a route although we are not sure its the best way to go. From Alesund we are thinking of driving to Hellesylt (via Sykkylvsfjordin) and taking the ferry to Geiranger. From there we can drive north on the so-called Eagle highway towards Norddaisjorden and over to Liabygda. At that point we are thinking of driving along the northern coast of the Storfjorden to Sjoholt (I love trying to spell these names) and continuing west back to Alesund. My software shows the entire route is 135 miles (which includes ferry distances). We are not sure if this is the best route of we should simply cross the fjord at Lsbygda and go back to Route 60 (the way we came from Alesund). Our mapping program shows both routes but we are thinking its usually better to go back a different way just to see more of the country. Anyone have thoughts about this?

Hank

I finally "broke-out" some of my Garmin software to do some route planning (which I can then upload to my Garmin unit). Based on some of the posts here we came up with a route although we are not sure its the best way to go. From Alesund we are thinking of driving to Hellesylt (via Sykkylvsfjordin) and taking the ferry to Geiranger. From there we can drive north on the so-called Eagle highway towards Norddaisjorden and over to Liabygda. At that point we are thinking of driving along the northern coast of the Storfjorden to Sjoholt (I love trying to spell these names) and continuing west back to Alesund. My software shows the entire route is 135 miles (which includes ferry distances). We are not sure if this is the best route of we should simply cross the fjord at Lsbygda and go back to Route 60 (the way we came from Alesund). Our mapping program shows both routes but we are thinking its usually better to go back a different way just to see more of the country. Anyone have thoughts about this?

Hank

The first itinerary is by far the best one and where you get to see the most of the area.

Crossing the fjord from Stranda to Liabygda you really eliminate the most beautiful part, Geiranger and Hellesylt.

Your main aim should be those two places.

Ålesund - Magerholm with ferry to Sykkylven over Stranda fjellet to Hellesylt..ferry Hellesylt to Geiranger...Geiranger, eagle road, Eidsdal. Eidsdal to Linge by ferry. Linge to Liabygda, Stordal, Sjøholt, Spjelakvik and Ålesund.

Here is a rout map from Ålesund to Geiranger:

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Itineraires?strStartLocid=31NDFzeWQxMGNOakl1TkRjeE1UWT04Tmk0eE5UVTM=&strDestLocid=31NDF0Nm4xMGNOakl1TVRBeE56VT1jTnk0eU1EY3lPUT09&strStep1Locid=32NDF0OHc0NjIxODEwY05qSXVNRGcxTVRNPWNOaTQ0TmprMU1nPT0=&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strVehicle=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&isAvoidFrontiers=true&dtmDeparture=18%2F04%2F2011&distance=km&devise=1.0|EUR&indemnite=&carbCost=1.3&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6

Here is Geiranger to Ålesund:

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Itineraires?strStartLocid=31NDFzeWQxMGNOakl1TkRjeE1UWT04Tmk0eE5UVTM=&strDestLocid=31NDF0Nm4xMGNOakl1TVRBeE56VT1jTnk0eU1EY3lPUT09&strStep1Locid=32NDF0OHc0NjIxODEwY05qSXVNRGcxTVRNPWNOaTQ0TmprMU1nPT0=&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strVehicle=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&isAvoidFrontiers=true&dtmDeparture=18%2F04%2F2011&distance=km&devise=1.0|EUR&indemnite=&carbCost=1.3&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6

Lmyren -

I was looking at a boat excursion around Runde. I thought it left from Alesund, but it leaves from Runde so I would have to rent a car to get there. That cuts down on the amount of time we have in port. Do you know of any tour boats to Runde from Alesunde? If none, our alternative would be to rent a car and go to the island, but skip the 2.5 hour boat ride. I guess, we can get there and back plus drive around Runde in 3+ hours.

Thanks for your help.

Lmyren -

I was looking at a boat excursion around Runde. I thought it left from Alesund, but it leaves from Runde so I would have to rent a car to get there. That cuts down on the amount of time we have in port. Do you know of any tour boats to Runde from Alesunde? If none, our alternative would be to rent a car and go to the island, but skip the 2.5 hour boat ride. I guess, we can get there and back plus drive around Runde in 3+ hours.

Thanks for your help.

This company does boat trips to Runde Island:

http://www.utihavet.no/Sider/NewsDet.asp?ArtId=493&Mid=314&SSid=493

As far as I can tell this site is in Norwegian only BUT you could try to send them an email.

It looks like 62Nord is doing the same tour:

http://www.62nord.net/activities--adventures/summer/rib-boat-trip-to-runde/3504/0/

The drive to Runde will take you around 2.5 - 3 hours.

You cant actually drive around the island as there is only one road and a few houses.

You have to park then walk for aprox 30 minutes to the bird mountain.

Lars:)

Edited by lmyren

The first itinerary is by far the best one and where you get to see the most of the area.

Crossing the fjord from Stranda to Liabygda you really eliminate the most beautiful part, Geiranger and Hellesylt.

Your main aim should be those two places.

Ålesund - Magerholm with ferry to Sykkylven over Stranda fjellet to Hellesylt..ferry Hellesylt to Geiranger...Geiranger, eagle road, Eidsdal. Eidsdal to Linge by ferry. Linge to Liabygda, Stordal, Sjøholt, Spjelakvik and Ålesund.

Here is a rout map from Ålesund to Geiranger:

Here is Geiranger to Ålesund:

Thanks for the advice and we will not do that crossing. But we are confused by your maps because they are both the same. We thinking doing what almost looks like a full circle so that there is no repetition on the route. In other words, once we get to Geringer on the ferry we would start heading north.

Hank

Thanks for the advice and we will not do that crossing. But we are confused by your maps because they are both the same. We thinking doing what almost looks like a full circle so that there is no repetition on the route. In other words, once we get to Geringer on the ferry we would start heading north.

Hank

Yeah, I would be confused to:D They are the same, sorry:D

This should be the right route from Geiranger to Ålesund:

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Itineraires?strStartLocid=32NDF0Nm40NjIxNjEwY05qSXVNVEF4TnpVPWNOeTR5TURjeU9RPT0=&strDestLocid=31NDFzeWQxMGNOakl1TkRjeE1UWT04Tmk0eE5UVTM=&strStep1Locid=31NDF0M3YxMGNOakl1TWpZd09EYz1jTnk0eE56SXhNZz09&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strVehicle=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&isAvoidFrontiers=true&dtmDeparture=18%2F04%2F2011&distance=km&devise=1.0|EUR&indemnite=&carbCost=1.3&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6

These 2 routes will take you in a circle of the area and NOT repeat anything.

Where you read on the map:

Series of bends for 1.5 km 2 km 00h02

Series of bends for 0.7 km 4.5 km 00h06

Steep hill downwards 0.3 km 4.5 km 00h06

Steep hill downwards 0.7 km 10 km 00h15

Steep hill downwards 3.5 km 11 km 00h16

Steep hill downwards 7 km 18 km 00h23

Series of bends for 1 km 19 km 00h24

Series of bends for 0.5 km 20 km 00h26

Series of bends for 0.2 km

this is actually the Eagle road - make sure you stop at the top by the view point.

Edited by lmyren

We are sold on your route. When I played around with my Garmin modeling software it came-up with the same route. We are not sure how this will work with our port times but my thinking is we would probably aim for the 2pm ferry on the Geiranger. We will not be hurrying to get back to Alesund since we spent our entire day there last year.

Hank

This company does boat trips to Runde Island:

http://www.utihavet.no/Sider/NewsDet.asp?ArtId=493&Mid=314&SSid=493

As far as I can tell this site is in Norwegian only BUT you could try to send them an email.

It looks like 62Nord is doing the same tour:

http://www.62nord.net/activities--adventures/summer/rib-boat-trip-to-runde/3504/0/

The drive to Runde will take you around 2.5 - 3 hours.

You cant actually drive around the island as there is only one road and a few houses.

You have to park then walk for aprox 30 minutes to the bird mountain.

Lars:)

Thanks, Lars.

62Nord will not work out. Their trip is at 18:00 and we are docked from 9:00 to 17:00. I sent an email to the other company. They do have frequent departures and that could work out.

May have to opt for driving. When you say the drive to Runde takes 2.5 to 3 hours, I presume that's one way. ViaMichelin says 1:47, but I guess we have to wait for the ferry and that adds extra time. How frequent are the ferries?

I really appreciate your help.