Solstice Jan. 23 Norovirus Numbers

Wavedance

Solstice 1/30 - 2/6. As part of a large group referenced by another poster, we heard about the death of the gentleman before we left the ship. As for the illness numbers quoted by Celebrity, I wonder what protocol they used for reporting. My sister had to have an IV, which is certainly not considered an "over the counter" remedy. The ships staff was overwhelmed. We saw dedicated members of our dinner service team working crazy shifts - our sommolier was bussing tables in the Oceanview cafe for example.

I am wary of the Celebrity press release that so obviously under-reported the illness numbers.

Another first time poster. Where are all these people coming from?

I certainly hope that there was not a death on board although we have seen that before from other reasons.

Makes one skeptical I agree. That said, it is also possible that if something that horrible did happen it might drive someone who never before cared to participate in these things to want to get a message out........... If it really did happen I suspect others will be coming online to mention it as well. We'll see.

This was my fifth cruise and the experience was so different than my others I felt like I needed to do some research. If you google CDC, Celebrity Solstice and Norovirus, this is one of the links that shows up. When I saw my Mom post a comment, I decided that this was a valid sight and conversation to join. I'm sorry to see that first time comments are discounted.

Makes one skeptical I agree. That said, it is also possible that if something that horrible did happen it might drive someone who never before cared to participate in these things to want to get a message out........... If it really did happen I suspect others will be coming online to mention it as well. We'll see.

I agree, but doesn't it just put your radar up to see a first time poster with such a dramatic account, and then followed by another first time poster backing up the account?

Just as a FYI, here are the numbers for norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships in 2010 as reported by the CDC:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Glory (10/9-10/16). 113 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity Mercury (2/15-2/26). 411 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Celebrity Millennium (2/22-3/5). 157 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Celebrity Mercury (2/26-3/8). 182 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Celebrity Mercury (3/8-3/19). 406 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Crystal Cruises

Crystal Symphony (11/2-11/21). 37 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Cunard Line

Queen Victoria (1/4-1/12). 179 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Queen Victoria (1/12-27). 168 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Queen Mary 2 (12/19-1/3/2011). 185 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines

Balmoral (1/5-2/4). 293 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Holland America

Maasdam (2/19-3/05). 168 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Zuiderdam (4/20-5/08). 73 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Nieuw Amsterdam (10/18-11/07). 134 sickened. Cause: Norovirus

Royal Caribbean

Jewel of the Seas (2/22-3/5). 102 sickened. Cause: Unknown

Posted Jan 11 2011 9:21AM (USA Today)

It is obvious to me that it is just the "nature of the beast" so caution is demanded!

My story is not made up. That would be sick and demented. I created an account and posted my story because after investigating the norovirus, I noticed that it was prevalent on Celebrity cruises, and I wanted people to know what happened this past week.

from another web site:

February 2

Source: Cruise Line

Celebrity Solstice

Celebrity Cruises

According to a letter sent to travel agents by Celebrity Cruises, We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your clients booked on the February 6, sailing of Celebrity Solstice. Please provide this information, as soon as possible, to your clients booked on this sailing. During Celebrity Solstice’s last sailing, a small number of guests onboard experienced a gastrointestinal illness, thought to be a norovirus. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting some enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, as recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, to help prevent any illness from affecting your client’s cruise. Because of this additional sanitizing, check in and boarding is now anticipated to begin at approximately 3:00 p.m. We apologize for this delay to your client’s boarding. Since parking and seating at the cruise terminal is very limited, we ask that guests arrive at the terminal between 3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m

From another source.... Science Daily

Poorly Cleaned Public Cruise Ship Restrooms May Predict Norovirus Outbreaks

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091102121639.htm

Being employed in the occupational and environment health industry I have conducted lectures and paper on this topic for various health professionals and industry leaders.

It is rare for somebody to succumb as a result of contracting norovirus, expecially when they are healthy individual. Without resuts of the PM the cause of death is purely speculative at this time, IMHO. Not sure of the rules in the US but here in Canada there definetly would be an investigation of the death with a PM to determine cause. Its the law.

I have examined hundreds of death notices for specific epidemiology studies and have yet to see one that stated the cause was "norovirus".

Individuals usually pass due to other causes when they have norovirus.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sailing into San Juan - 2 PM Tuesday, February 8, 2011. Have not heard any reports of cases of Norovirus on this sailing. Precautions are still in effect but no word on any people being sick. We checked in on Sunday around 1 PM but were kept coralled until about 3 PM. Actual boarding took longer than usual because there were so many people waiting to board. We were given a boxed lunch (sandwich, cookie & water) while we waited to board. Once on board, the cabins were not available until 6 PM, but the buffet was open on Deck 12. We expected we might get into cabins earlier, but it was indeed 6 PM before the announcement was made that the cabins were ready. Dinner was delayed to 6:30 PM and 9 PM because of the late cabin entry time. The good news is that our luggage was in the cabin when we arrived there at 6 PM. That was not the case for all passengers however. The dining room and buffet staff are still handing everything to us at all meals, including the sugar and cream for coffee. It really is not much of an inconvenience. I heard someone say that they may left some of these precautions in another day or so, if things are still good. Overall, the minor inconveniences are worth it in order to have a healthy cruise. The ship is beautiful and we are having a wonderful time. You do hear some complaints about the constant "Purelling" at the dining room door etc. but some folks are never happy. Hopefully, the ship is now clean and the rest of the cruise will go ahead without a hitch. For those of you on cruises in the next few weeks, things are certainly looking up at this point. One downside was that we did not have the "brunch" on Monday, the first sea day. I'm not sure if that will happen at some other point in the cruise.

Hearing from someone currently on board is a huge sigh of relief! Anyone else keep hitting refresh here every couple of minutes hoping to find out more and seriously considering changing your sailing even though you still have 5 weeks to go?

I hate to be the devil's advocate though, but since the incubation period averages about 30 hours... I'd love to hear back in a couple of days. Sorry :-/

I'm absolutely sure Celebrity is doing everything it can to have this 100% eradicated before they lose a significant amount of money or before a news outlet finds out! So I have confidence that things must indeed be improving.

Maybe this is why we shouldn't use the term 'Sick Ship' and realize it's us who are sick. Realize the virus can be spread by sharing common items but no matter what some prior posts pressed, we are the ones who bring it on and spread it. That is not a fault-finding - when you get sick in these cases, it isn't 'your fault'.....stuff happens.

And this may be the reason you don't see the Line making it easier to cancel out. At least in this instance they appear to have got it under control.

Not any fun for those that experienced a very distressful disease and it becomes the main topic of the rest of the cruisers.

Hope all enjoy their upcoming cruises. We loved the Solstice.

Den

MiaS13, Yes, I certainly have been watching this thread very closely. You are not the only one hitting the refresh key! In fact, I've already sent an email to our TA to see what our options might be if this is still a problem as our March 13 cruise gets closer. I plan on taking a couple things of Clorox wipes on board to do some cleaning of my own. Can't believe I have to think about cleaning on my much anticipated vacation! :eek:

MiaS13, Yes, I certainly have been watching this thread very closely. You are not the only one hitting the refresh key! In fact, I've already sent an email to our TA to see what our options might be if this is still a problem as our March 13 cruise gets closer. I plan on taking a couple things of Clorox wipes on board to do some cleaning of my own. Can't believe I have to think about cleaning on my much anticipated vacation! :eek:

Am on the March 13 also! I was thinking of bringing gloves, chlorox wipes, Lysol spray, febreeze fabric spray, my own pillow, paper cups, immodium, big hand sanitizer, and lots of water bottles (Obsess much? hehe).

Am very seriously considering paying the difference to sail with Eclipse instead, but already have a shore excursion in St. Thomas and don't really care to trade that for St. Kitts!

Archived