Oceana : Smart casual dress code help please

leedslad

OK so as you can see from my signature we are Ex OVer's on our first cruise elsewhere.

Oceana was recommended by loads of cruisers on OV so we are happy to give it a whirl on the 28th of Feb

I'm fine with the formal stuff and have a nice Next Tux and all the stuff ready to roll for the formal nights and not at all concerned about it.

My problem is with types of shirt on the other nights.

I'm sure I read somewhere that t shirts must have a collar on ...like polo shirt style.

I hate this type of shirt and much prefer a nice smart 100%cotton t shirt( lauren/duck & cover/firetrap etc) and smart black denims

Will this be acceptable on non formal nights or will I get hassle for having no collar.

Thanks in advance for your help

eerrmm I think shirt with a collar means with a collar!

On most nights you only see the odd polo. You would stand out and may have a problem.

Gan canny

Dai

As Dai said, you will see a few polo shirts, but on the whole most men wear a proper shirt - with a stiff or soft collar - and short or long sleeves. You don't need a jacket or tie though.

I have seen a T shirt, with no collar such as you describe, just once in 20+ cruises, and he did stand out I'm afraid.

If you don't like polo shirts - and neither do I really - then a few nice shirts should see you through.

Have a great time.

We too are on Oceana on Feb 28th! We had our first Caribbean cruise last Jan, again on Oceana. We were used to going on cruises with P&O that had the usual Formal, Semi-formal and Casual dress code. Really we thought last year that the Casual was different to Casual on the Med cruises and was not a lot different to the Semi-formal, except no jacket for men(tho did see a few!) A short sleeved shirt will be fine, couldnt say I saw many polo shirts except during the day at lunch. Not many in jeans either - you may find that these are very heavy for the climate and for luggage! My husband takes chinos or lightweight trousers for the casual nights.

I dont have a problem standing out that has never bothered me.What is much more important is feeling comfortable.

What would be a problem would be if I had hassle getting in bars because I had the wrong type of shirt on.

Just checked the brochure and it says for smart casual nights

"stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, open necked polo shirts and casual trouser(not shorts).Smart dark denim may be worn however we request the following are not worn: sportswear e.g. trainers.football shirts,tracksuits"

Designer t shirts not mentioned either way

Take the point about denims it's just that most nights in the bars the air con is cranked up that much you could do with a fur coat on:)

I think the issue here is does the shirt have a collar. Polo shirts have collars but might be OK. Any thing with a collar that is not a sports top with big logos etc should do. No collar or no sleeves and you will probably be turned away. Or think of it like this, if they do refuse entry you have no right of appeal!. How much the shirt costs makes no difference.

Dark dress jeans should be OK as they are almost the same as black chinos etc. No blue denim or holes though.

Not sure about t-shirts, but on Ventura and Azura there were plenty wearing polo shirts and chinos on the casual nights. Not that many wearing jeans, but as you say smart dark jeans are clearly identified as being ok in the policy. Have a lovely cruise.

Is it me? what is uncomfortable about putting a shirt on? & what is so difficult to understand in the meaning of "shirt".

Because you are on holiday and want to relax in casual clothes like you would in the evening. Whereas collared shirt=work attire..

For what it's worth I wore collarless shirts and polo-shirts in the MDR on RCI and blended in fine with fellow guests. But then that's why I say P&O is more formal dress code whenever anyway says go you'll be fine..

Mind you all the ships I've been on it's been so hot in the MDR in the evenings that a collared shirt is sometimes uncomfortable..

Hey some people even think Sandals and Jeans are suitable in the MDR which personally I don't (work and beachwear) but if people relaxing on holiday want to that's fine. I'm not there to stare at other people or make judgements on what they are wearing!

For the benefit of Quercus

SHIRT a piece of clothing worn, especially by men, on the upper part of the body, made of light cloth like cotton and usually having a collar and buttons at the front

I think the key word is usually

You are indeed correct Single Cruiser I spent far too many years having to wear collar and tie at work and prefer now to relax in casual clothing

I started this tread to ask politely what the situation was with T shirts because the policy is unclear.

I dont mind doing the dressing up thing with the tux but can't say I'm looking forward to it, it's just a rule I have to conform with. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I had hoped seeing as though we are in the Caribbean I would be able to relax on holiday in clothing that I feel comfortable in.

Oh Why fight it and huff and puff for heavens sake.?

Ov cruisers know what goes on , on P&O ships....if you want to cruise on them its simple to follow the dress code. We are not talking work shirts with a tie. Buy a Ben Sherman/Henry LLoyd type s/s shirt in check, stripe whatever and wear with a pair of trousers or chinos, its cooler than even a tshirt. simples....:rolleyes:

If you are going to dine in the 4* Waiter served restaurant most people make a effort to be SMART Casual on the evening dinner.

Tshirts aren't smart. But wear them if you want, no one will worry .

Leedslad,

I don't think anyone was trying to be antagonistic, but really trying to answer your question. If it helps, we have just returned from a cruise on the Oceana and we can't say we saw anyone (in the bars, restaurants and theatre that we visited) wearing T shirts in the evening, except occasionally people eating early in the buffet. Short or long sleeved shirts, without ties, were the norm, worn with chinos etc. We also saw a couple of men wearing dark jeans. Have a great cruise, as it's a lovely ship!

P&O is a really dressy line, imo more dressy than the other line I've been on e.g. some of the US lines or NCL. I would agree with others and say I have never seen a polo shirt in the MDR but definitely have on other lines and def never seen a t-shirt except in the buffet. You can dress down during the day with your t-shirts etc but they have a dress code every evening on the P&O cruise not just on formal nights.

Virtually everybody sticks to the rules, and I guess if you go on this cruise and really find the dress-thing uncomfortable, you can look at other options for the future. I would say don't worry about it or you'll spoil your cruise before you even embark. Stick to the rules, relax and enjoy your cruise!:)

Thanks for the vast majority of the comments they are really helpful. It is going to be new to us and I'm certainly not going to let any dress code spoil the holiday in any way. Wanted to check out the situation on here, and find out the current position, so as to avoid problems later.

It does sound as though P&O are more "formal" than other lines and Im beginning to think Oceana may be more "formal" than other P&O Ships, Ventura for example?

I don't think we would ever had tried a cruise if it hadn't been for OV and now we love the concept of cruising which is like staying in a four star hotel and waking up in a different resort every morning. All we need to do now if find a style of cruising that suits us which hopefully will be Oceana. If it doesn't I suppose there are plenty more to try because land based holidays have no appeal whatsoever.

Sorry, nope, still don't see what is uncomfortable about wearing a shirt & if we are now saying that actually wearing a SHIRT is too much to ask I really don't know where we are headed! I am fairly sure I would feel uncomfortable sitting in a silver service MDR with immaculately dressed waiters if I was wearing a tee-shirt.

I really don't know why people make a big deal out of these dress codes, especially men, shirt & trousers = smart casual, add a jacket for Semi-formal, & + a tie for formal really, (suit or DJ is nicer). Dressing up is fun, just go with the flow, most people wore & shirt & trousers for dinner on OV when we sailed on her.

Leedslad,

There is nothing wrong, as per the dress code, in wearing a polo shirt on a smart casual evening on P&O.

Some, only some, P&O cruisers are stuck in the 'days of old.' They would lilke things to be as they were 30 years ago.

We have many P&O cruises under our belts, more than some vociferous posters on here, and a polo shirt is OK.

BTW, we always, before anyone buts in, adhere to the dress code,more than is required, as per P&O guidelines.

Because you are on holiday and want to relax in casual clothes like you would in the evening. Whereas collared shirt=work attire..

Not necessarily. Some people work in boilersuits, some in bathing costumes. Others may work in T shirts.

Me? My normal work attire is a dressing gown.

Which means dressing in a suit is something I associate with going out, not being at work!

WD

Archived