Does Anyone Else Feel Sick After Getting Off The Ship?

CarefreeCruising

We've been on 17 cruises and it STILL takes me about a 4-5 days to get my land legs back! We can be in the roughest of seas and I have no problem. I don't take any seasickness meds. But once I hit land for a few hours, I do have some balance issues as I feel like I'm still moving. DH always wants to play mini golf with me AFTER a cruise because he knows he will always beat me!:mad::p:rolleyes:

DH on the other hand does not have this issue at all. The human body is so strange!

Just off the Radiance this past Thursday and I was still rocking a few days later myself but it seems to be going away now.....the ride down to Cozumel was a little bumpy so Im guessin thats what it was....I didnt feel it all after my Monarch cruise...It was just minor though. I dont feel "sick" or anything.

Now that its over that truly means my wonderful vacation is over too :(

Time to put this NextCruise certificate I bought while on board to use! :)

Edited by ryano

We left Monarch 10 days ago :mad:, and I am still feeling slightly off. My first cruise it only lasted about 3 days...this one has been much worse. The weekend we arrived home it was horrible. I had a horrible moment on that Saturday and almost fell down our flight of stairs at home...that happened twice so my boyfriend wouldn't let me "walk" down the stairs the rest of the weekend...he made me scoot down like you do a toddler when they are learning stairs. My cats would sit at the bottom watching me like I was nuts.

My boyfriend on the other hand had very mild symptoms and felt fine by that Sunday. Maybe I'll try some bonine when I get home.

I get sea legs every cruise. It takes me about a month to get over them. I asked my DR about remedies and he said Bonine or ginger helps. It is very common. I haven't tried either one yet, but will in a few weeks after I get off the Explorer. I hope it helps.

I agree with what others have said, the best remedy is to book another cruise:)

LAst year we took our first cruise and I had the same problem for 14 days after the cruise was over.

We just got off the Radiance last Thursday and I am still feeling some effects of the cruise by not nearly as bad as last year. I did go to urgent care on Friday night because I wasn't feeling good and found out that I had a double ear infection :( I am still getting the dizzy feelings and fog headed but they are slowing decreasing. I wanted to mention that I took the advice of some on CC and took ginger root capsules during the cruise which may or may not have helped decrease the time this lasts. I did notice a big difference on the cruise with taking the ginger root throughout the cruise though and I will use it during the next cruise too!

Edited by pondlover1969
typo error

As others have said-take Bonine for a couple of days after you get off the ship. I have had this feeling and the Bonine really did make a difference.

Our ENT told my DH to start the bonine the last 2 or 3 days of the trip - not to wait until you get off. It seems to have done the trick. He used to get terrible vertigo the day after a cruise but hasn't had it since following the doctor's advice.

I have experienced this after each of my (regretfully few) cruises. It seems that the more motion I experience on the cruise (smaller ship or rougher seas) means that the "rocking and reeling" lasts longer afterward. After my last cruise, on the FOS, I took a generic decongestant (pseudoephedrine--the one you have to fill out a form at the pharmacy to get) and I only wobbled for a day or so.

I don't know if the rapid recovery was due to the bigness of the ship, the calmness of the seas, or if the decongestant helped my middle ears straighten themselves out sooner. I will probably do the same thing next time. (The decongestant, that is. I'm already planning on duplicating the ship. :D)

LAst year we took our first cruise and I had the same problem for 14 days after the cruise was over.

We just got off the Radiance last Thursday and I am still feeling some effects of the cruise by not nearly as bad as last year. I did go to urgent care on Friday night because I wasn't feeling good and found out that I had a double ear infection :( I am still getting the dizzy feelings and fog headed but they are slowing decreasing. I wanted to mention that I took the advice of some on CC and took ginger root capsules during the cruise which may or may not have helped decrease the time this lasts. I did notice a big difference on the cruise with taking the ginger root throughout the cruise though and I will use it during the next cruise too!

it was very nice meeting you and your husband :) sure hope you get to feeling better soon!

I had the wobbles for a couple days but they seem to have gone away now.

Edited by ryano

• 4 years later...
I got off the spirit yesterday, fine all week but today feel awful. Wobbly legs feel drunk also been sick and I've bad diarrhoea is this normal?

I'd say what you have doesn't have to do with Mal de Debarquement Syndrome syndrome. Diarrhea doesn't usually accompany Mal de Debarquement. It sounds like you picked up a bug somewhere.

You could have Mal de Debarquement (wobbly legs), and some sort of bug (sick/diarrhea).

Of course, I'm not a doctor.

No, I'm not talking about that sad feeling when you know that vacation is over. I got off of a 5 night cruise on the Navigator on Saturday. When I first got off, I felt a strong feeling that the ship was still moving (even though I wasn't on it). This persisted through much of the day. Yesterday I didn't feel the room moving as much but still a bit dizzy feeling. I'm doing even better today - still feel a bit "off" with a slight earache. Since it's getting progressively better, I'm not too concerned and don't think I"ll run to the doctor but just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. When we were on the ship, we went through 50 mph winds the last night and the ship was really rocking while we slept. I don't know if that contributed to this.

I had the same thing happen to me on a few cruises. Turned out it was this medical condition called a hangover.