Ship Water...

Crusing Nut

Agree :D

I think I remember reading about this and desalinated water has to be salt free to qualify as drinking water. If the process is done by evaporation it will be salt free. I also believe the reverse osmosis process removes 100% of the salt as well.

Right-o.

It's been a conversastion here many times...

Water for human consumption is salt free...using either process...but, apparently, reverse osmosis is more efficient.

We even had a medical guy on one time who explained the swollen feet and ankle thingie. It can happen (and apparetnly does) on long flights, long train or car rides, etc., It's more to do with a persons own body and how it works than anything else...but diet, activity, heat and humidity have a huge bearing.

A search would probably find several of the other posts on this subject....

It isn't the "taste" of the water that is troublesome to me. I drink a lot more fluids and not alcohol while cruising than I do at home. I use very little salt at home also when I cook. But after two days drinking the lemonade, ice tea and orange juice on board, I become dehydrated to the point of a severly dry mouth. (no other issue is going on) I end up with swollen ankles, dry skin and a dry mouth.

On several cruises my ankles just disappeared, they got so swollen. You could not see an ankle bone. The very next cruise, we brought a 12 pack of water and a 12 pack of sprite on board with us. I had no issues at all.

I agree that your swollen ankles are not from salt in the ship's drinking water! At home we use bottled water because our local tap water is so filled with minerals that it tastes disgusting!

ON the ship we use the ship water with no probs at all!

We both have to watch our salt intake and the water on the ship does not have an adverse affect on our blood pressure or anything else. In fact we don't get swollen anything while cruising. Perhaps it is the fact that we are very active and don't just lay around drinking alcohol?

We use the stairs as much as possible to get around the ship.

I have a reaction to it each and every time. So I now carry on my own water. My ankles swell, I become dehydrated even with drinking liquids than I normally do and extremely thirsty when I drink anything with the ships water.. lemonade, orange juice etc.....

I really doubt that it has anything to do with the water, but I can promise you that you get enough salt in the food to make anyone swell.

The electric kettle is now on the prohibited list. It is subject to confiscation.

link

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize this. We took it last year without any problems. Either this is a new rule or we were just very lucky. I won't bring it in April on our next trip because I don't want to lose it. :)

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize this. We took it last year without any problems. Either this is a new rule or we were just very lucky. I won't bring it in April on our next trip because I don't want to lose it. :)

I think it is relatively new. On the Conquest last week during muster drill it was announced that all devices with electric heating elements were prohibited. That was the first for us in more than a dozen Carnival cruises. In the 1990's the Carnival website explicitly prohibited coffee makers. They removed them from the list about ten years ago but it looks like the restriction is back. :(

I have a reaction to it each and every time. So I now carry on my own water. My ankles swell, I become dehydrated even with drinking liquids than I normally do and extremely thirsty when I drink anything with the ships water.. lemonade, orange juice etc.....

My legs and feet swell up too. The water has a really high salt content. I plan on bringing water on board instead of using the tap...

The only time that the water tasted funny to me was on the Pride in 11/09 in the MDR. Once we put lemon in, the water tasted fine. No where else on the ship did the water taste funny.

Re: ankle swelling - it the salt that is added to all of the food during cooking. I don't add any salt when cooking (baking is another story) and I sometimes notice that my fingers swell when on a vacation. Don't forget that you are eating differently on the ship than you would at home (it is the equivalent as eating every meal out at a restaurant). I increase the amount of water that I drink during the day and that seems to help.

I didn't notice the water being unpleasant, it did taste like reverse osmosis water we had at my old work. It is sort of flat as pps have said.

It's definitely not making anyone swell. That would be the salty food and the heat.

It's not the water, it's the salt and MSG in the food.

I think that water on-board tastes just fine, however, I have had a problem with EVERY cruise that I have taken of swollen feet/ankles by the end of the cruise. For me, you can't chalk it up to the salt content in the food, because I add salt to pretty much everything that I eat when I am here at home. By the last night of our cruises, I can barely get my dress shoes on. The only other time in my life that I ever had any problem with swollen feet and ankles was immediately after my first child was born, when all of my hormones were mixed up. I don't know what causes the swelling on the ships, but it is a definite problem for me. I am planning on taking some bottled water this year to see if that makes a difference or not.

Coincidental timing. I struggle with idiopathic edema and can easily gain 10 pounds due to water retention. Thanks to an top-notch endocrinologist I am able to manage the edema with a number of medications, diet, weight control and exercise. During my visit Friday I expressed concern about maintaining a low sodium diet during my April cruise and she alerted me to the water. She shared that traces of sodium are retained and while it is not bothersome to most people, her edema patients have experienced problems. She recommends drinking only bottled water.

I've cruised before and assumed the increase in swelling was from food, but will take the cautious approach of avoiding ship water. Being realistic I'll also pack comfy loose flip flops, but will try to find ones with bling to compliment my formal wear.

I too swell up from almost the moment I step foot on the boat and have my first frozen drink (made with frozen water). I assumed it was caused by the salt. There has been some good reasoning for the the edema ( increased sodium in the food, MSG, Alcohol )noted on this post and the cause is probably a combo of all of them . I tend to blame it on the water. I had complained to DH on previous trips that the water tasted funny-salty to me and had planned to take my own bottled water on this next trip. This may be why I have so many of those frozen drink thinks, the alcohol and sugar cover up the saltiness Yea, Yea thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

i'll just start by saying i don't get 'cankles' or swell in any notable manner as some are noting... i guess i'm just commenting on taste.

[quote name='Rosefloater']The only time that the water tasted funny to me was on the Pride in 11/09 in the MDR. Once we put lemon in, the water tasted fine. No where else on the ship did the water taste funny.[/quote]

i thought the water on pride tasted a bit 'off'...

it wasn't 'flat' as some have said. it certainly wasn't poland spring (my favorite) or like NJ rural well water, or houston city water, ozarka, et al, or anything else i've had to drink on land or at sea... perfectly safe, i'm sure, but for drinking purposes...

it had a kind of metallic sort of taste to it - very hard to describe, and it varied in intensity based upon where procured i noted...

i actually thought the mdr water was ok, but still a little off... if you ask for a glass of water in the piano bar - forget about it... it taste(D) the most off... enough that i asked to buy bottled water... and they didn't have any :rolleyes:

i bought a couple of those big water bottles in the cabin every day... :)

[quote name='falkcor']
i thought the water on pride tasted a bit 'off'...

it had a kind of metallic sort of taste to it - very hard to describe, and it varied in intensity based upon where procured i noted...

i actually thought the mdr water was ok, but still a little off... if you ask for a glass of water in the piano bar - forget about it... it taste(D) the most off... enough that i asked to buy bottled water... and they didn't have any :rolleyes:

:)[/QUOTE]

IIRC it had a chloriney taste ("wonderful":rolleyes: LA water gets that taste every now and then too) but only in the MDR. Strange as I thought that all of the water comes from the same water plant.

[quote name='Crusing Nut']Does anyone besides me have trouble drinking the ships desalinated water? If so, what do you experience?[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]No problems at all, great water. Some forget that the water is pure water, no salts or minerals. It is produced using a reverse osmosis process and is generally of a higher standard than most municipal water systems. That is why the taste may seem different to you. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I do not have two desserts with my meals but thanks for some laughs.

I do notice a difference when drinking bottle water or bottled water all during the cruise and when I don't. It doesn't matter about the food being eaten because I eat on all cruises.

I will continue to bring my own water on board but thanks for all of the comments.

When first we cruised my father would get seriously constipated. We decided it was the water, and started bringing bottled water onboard. It solved the problem. Now we always bring bottled-except we forgot last cruise and wala-problem returned, so we had to buy some bottled water at one of the ports.

[B]Another interesting story about desalinated water[/B]: when we were in Curacao, our guide told us there was no natural aquifer on the island, so all of their potable water was desalinated. He said the only issue was that you could not grow anything in a garden b/c the desalinated water always killed the plants!

Archived