First day lunch

joyce&bob

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain the different Mariner functions on the ship. From this thread I have gathered there is a Mariner lunch on embarkation day from 12:00 noon until 1:30 p.m. in the Main Dining Room. Depending on which ship you are on will determine what Mariner star levels will be invited. These invitations will be given to you when you check in dockside.

My confusion sets in because people talk about getting invites in their staterooms. I guess there are other functions you may or may not get invited too also. Is that correct? What are these functions and who gets invited?

Does anyone know what level Mariners get invited to the Amsterdam Mariner events?

Lastly, I was planning on boarding a little later, around 2:00 p.m. so we could do some touring. Is it worth it to board earlier and partake of this luncheon? This will be my second HAL cruise.

Thanks!!!

Can someone explain the different Mariner functions on the ship. From this thread I have gathered there is a Mariner lunch on embarkation day from 12:00 noon until 1:30 p.m. in the Main Dining Room. Depending on which ship you are on will determine what Mariner star levels will be invited. These invitations will be given to you when you check in dockside.

My confusion sets in because people talk about getting invites in their staterooms. I guess there are other functions you may or may not get invited too also. Is that correct? What are these functions and who gets invited?

Does anyone know what level Mariners get invited to the Amsterdam Mariner events?

Lastly, I was planning on boarding a little later, around 2:00 p.m. so we could do some touring. Is it worth it to board earlier and partake of this luncheon? This will be my second HAL cruise.

Thanks!!!

there is no predicting how the ships decide who will be invited to the embarkation lunch -- we are 4 star mariners and have never received an invitation to go to the dining room for lunch -- we just show up -- some of the lunches have been nice -- others the choices were not so good -- nothing really special -- just a place to eat lunch in a quiet atmosphere

the other invitation that all mariners are suppose to get is an invitation to the mariner's brunch held near the end of the cruise - a limited menu -- get a glass of red or white wine and a tile

We are only 3 star mariners (will be 4 after our next cruise), stay in suites and have NEVER seen an invitation. It must vary (like many other things) by ship.

Don't let the lack of an invitation hold you back, just go like you belong.

If you have plans and weren't planning on boarding until 2pm - and the plans are something interesting then I'd carry out your plans.

If you were just filling in time, waiting then I would board early enough to do the lunch - it's usually quite nice and with the rooms ready earlier it is much more comfortable.

JMO:)

If you were just filling in time, waiting then I would board early enough to do the lunch - it's usually quite nice and with the rooms ready earlier it is much more comfortable.

JMO:)

What do you mean by "the rooms ready earlier?" Do you mean that those invited to the mariner's lunch will have their cabins ready before others?

there is no predicting how the ships decide who will be invited to the embarkation lunch -- we are 4 star mariners and have never received an invitation to go to the dining room for lunch -- we just show up -- some of the lunches have been nice -- others the choices were not so good -- nothing really special -- just a place to eat lunch in a quiet atmosphere

the other invitation that all mariners are suppose to get is an invitation to the mariner's brunch held near the end of the cruise - a limited menu -- get a glass of red or white wine and a tile

Thanks, that clears it up for me.

What do you mean by "the rooms ready earlier?" Do you mean that those invited to the mariner's lunch will have their cabins ready before others?

hal has started something new -- all cabins are supposed to be ready by the time you get on the ship around 11:30

this means that you can go directly to your cabin and stow away your carry-ons without having to take them to lunch with you -- or check them in an area on the lido deck if you don't want to haul tham around with you

hal has started something new -- all cabins are supposed to be ready by the time you get on the ship around 11:30

this means that you can go directly to your cabin and stow away your carry-ons without having to take them to lunch with you -- or check them in an area on the lido deck if you don't want to haul tham around with you

That sounds wonderful for the cruisers, but perhaps a bit stressful on the stewards?

That sounds wonderful for the cruisers, but perhaps a bit stressful on the stewards?

They say that they are more prepared ie stuff ready to go. Something has to give IMO. I think that they'll go back to getting us out of our cabins by 8am which I don't like. For Canadians there is enough running around already in the morning because we have to meet with immigration prior to leaving the ship. It's nice to have a place to return to after that usually painful process.

i did read where someone here mentioned that in their final letter they were told what time to be out of their cabins and which lounge to report to until it is time to leave the ship - but so far no recent people who have done reports have reported on this

now when we were on the nieuw amsterdam -- when we returned from breakfast -- the bed was already made up like we have seen on all our other cruises -- but there was something different this time -- on the bed was a big plastic bag that still contained fresh towels and toilitries - it was obvious that the sheets had been in this packet as well

if this is the new way to help prep the cabins -- having these prepared packets will save the cabin stewards a lot of time since they don't have to keep running up and down to their storage areas to get various items

We've never received an invitation to an embarkation lunch and we are 3-star Mariners.

Many times we've been told by crew members that the MDR is not open upon embarkation. We humor them and go on the elevator to the Lido, then back down to Deck 2.

We were pleasantly surprised by the nice menu we had on the Westerdam at the embarkation lunch. In the past it had been limited to three entrees. This time there were more choices.

And we were very surprised at how crowded it was!

Just so there is no misunderstanding at check-in which could lead to unpleasantness....

whether or not the Mariner Society embarkation lunch is available to

all Mariners (1-4 stars), or just 3 and/or 4 star Mariners,

is decided by each ship. Invitations are sent down from the ship to shoreside ops with instructions on which level Mariner is to receive one at check-in.

Each ship makes its own policy.

We boarded the Veendam 2/16/2011 as 2 star mariners. At the dining room we were asked for an invitation to the embarkation lunch. I said that we did not have one. We were told that lunch was by invitation. I said that we we were mariners and we were seated. They may have wanted to limit seating to invited 3 or 4 star mariners, but I knew what the mariner benefits were. Mariner benefits are so paltry that I was not going to be denied this one.

The lunch and service were as good as any.

The other main cruising site which I can't name, has a detailed explanation of how HAL reorganized to be able to offer this service. I can't cut and paste because of copyrights but there is a link in the first post of the HAL section. It makes very interesting reading.

On the Amsterdam this past May we boarded before 1pm but when we wanted to lunch in the MDR we were informed that it was full. The Amsterdam is a smaller ship than some of the others so either the cruise was mostly Mariners or else they were letting anyone eat in the MDR. At any rate we found a table in the Lido for lunch.

Archived