Alternatives for an Iron

rob12782

We will be taking our first cruise for our honeymoon on Solstice at the end of March. My future wife is worried about how we will get wrinkles out of our clothes since no irons are on board. Yes she cares about these things! Just wondering what everyone has done to keep their dinner/formal wear looking nice after being unpacked. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated!

Steamers are not allowed as well as irons. Downy (the fabric softener) makes a spray on product called wrinkle release. It works fairly well, just spray onto the wrinkles and hang to dry, otherwise you would have to send anything needing pressing to the laundry. Enjoy your cruise, happy honeymoon.

Hi Honeymooners to be,

No worries! Pack your most formal clothes in drycleaner bags and pack on the top. As soon as you get in your room, hang them in the bathroom. As you shower, the heat and steam will take any wrinkles out. I've also packed my curling iron for my hair and used it to take out any small wrinkles.

Another helpful packing hint is to put half of your clothes in each other's suitcase. IF you do have one missing, you'll have some of each kind of clothes to wear. This is a good idea! Pack light! On my first cruise, I packed WAY to many shoes and clothes.

Happy cruising and congratulations to both of you. Remember, no worries!

Alternaitve to Irons?, use a 5-wood and shorten your swing! I'm so funny, I kill myself!!!

Enjoy your cruise and remember, none of us have an iron so a few wrinkles are normal. The ship has good ironing service and it's about the price I see in town.

Den

We pack dress clothes in a large folding garment bag. Most items are in plastic bags (dry cleaning type but plain). If I pack pants and tops on the same hanger, each is in a separate bag. We use "packing envelopes" for most folded items. If something is particularly prone to wrinkles, I wrap it using tissue paper. Good luck and congratulations! Betty

The don't sweat comment is about right. I have, in the past, gone to the Sauna with my Tux Shirts. The heat has a tendency for the wrinkles to drop out. For the Tuxedo itself, most are wool and don't wrinkle much. Wearing it will take out most wrinkles.

However, before each cruise, I do take my tux to the dry cleaners and keep it and pack it in the bag.

Careful packing is the key. I pack absolutely everything in plastic. My hanging clothes are in dry cleaners bags and I carefully fold outerwear and put these items in plastic bags. I lap pack. I lay one item over the edge of the suitcase. The next item is lapped over the opposite edge and on and on and then gently fold the items back over each other.

The reason why everything goes in plastic is simple. Once you have had a suitcase sit on the tarmac at the airport or the pier in a deluge you will do the same.

I found some terrific heavier plastic bags and totes at the dollar store. I have the cubes, and the compression bags, and a ton of zip locks but the sizes of the bags at the dollar store are perfect for both men's and women's shirts.

We also share suitcases. It's a buffer against wayward luggage. The kids still laugh at the horrible flip flops and t-shirts my DH had to buy at the straw market in Nassau while his tux and decent clothes sat in the Miami airport.

Beyond all of the advice offered, don't stress about your clothing. Worry about the wedding. Everyone onboard will be wearing a few wrinkles and no one I have ever cruised with has pointed this out.

Hope all goes well for the wedding and you have a wonderful cruise.

All of the above are ideas to keep in mind to help but what i suggest is using the ships laundry service. You drop wrinkled clothes in a bag and send them out requesting a press only and go enjoy your honeymoon. ;) They will be returned to you looking perfect 24 hours later. With all you have to worry about planning a wedding, perfect packing and DIY wrinkle removing isn't important.

It's kind of funny, but until I read these boards, I didn't even know that irons were not allowed. I have been on 8 cruises previous to the one we are going on in March and have always taken a travel iron and left it out in plain sight and nobody ever said anything.

It's kind of funny, but until I read these boards, I didn't even know that irons were not allowed. I have been on 8 cruises previous to the one we are going on in March and have always taken a travel iron and left it out in plain sight and nobody ever said anything.

They have really cracked down on irons on Celebrity in the last year or so. All bags are xrayed and when they see an iron, they do not send the bag to your room. You get notified to come to security, open your bag, and give them the iron, which is held until the last night when you have to return to reclaim kit. This happened to a friend last spring on the Equinox.

I skip getting things dry cleaned prior to getting on the the ship and just send them out ASAP when we get on. We do get the elite dry cleaning coupon so this is mainly why I wait, but the suit even without the coupons is only like $7 to get cleaned on board. http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqId=569&faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&pagename=faq_answers I paid it before we reached the elite level. It is a comparable price to what our regular local dry cleaner charges (not Zips or other discount chains) and it saves me from having to run across town.

Other than that - roll clothing going into the suitcase, wrinkle release and hang up ASAP when we get our suitcases, if it is bad hang in the bathroom a few times, or send out for pressing which is half the cost of the dry cleaning.

Aren't wrinkled, baggy clothes the style?

Never really noticed any wrinkled clothing on others. Seen a lot of 6 pack rolls but not wrinkles.

Best advice is as many have given. Pack them the right way and hang up asap.

Another is to take clothes that need to be cleaned and have them cleaned on board by their laundry and dry cleaning service.

Thanks for the tip about X-raying the luggage and confiscating travel irons.....I guess I won't try to smuggle my travel iron aboard! I roll my clothes when I pack also, but they still have wrinkles. Downy Wrinkle release in the bathroom will have to work!

She can bring Chico's type travel clothes that don't wrinkle.

Chico's - Travelers

For men, there are nice microfiber slacks that go right through the washer and dryer and never wrinkle.

Or else, easiest solution of all, just have a couple of drinks and you will be so relaxed and carefree that you won't even notice or care about wrinkles.

Many of the above recommendations are good but Celebrity offers a press only service. I did a horrible job of repacking my bag after our one night stay in San Juan before our recent cruise and I really messed up a few items. I had a tux jacket, a sports coat, a tux shirt and a a dress shirt pressed, picked up and delivered for around $10 total.

She can bring Chico's type travel clothes that don't wrinkle.

Chico's - Travelers

For men, there are nice microfiber slacks that go right through the washer and dryer and never wrinkle.

Or else, easiest solution of all, just have a couple of drinks and you will be so relaxed and carefree that you won't even notice or care about wrinkles.

Never like wrinkled clothes, but at least I will be coordinated with the wrinkes in my face.

As soon as we receive our luggage we unpack everything and decide what items need to be pressed. My evening gowns, some of my skirts, my husband's tuxes and formal shirts almost always need to be pressed. I call our room steward and hand him all of the items that need to be pressed and tell him we do not need them until the next afternoon. We always pre-pay into our 'on-board' account. That way we do not worry about additional charges on our credit card for ANYTHING we charge aboard the ship! Thy next day we receive all of our clothes back pressed and ready to wear and "no stress", THAT is what a vacation or honeymoon is all about.

CELEBRITY IS GREAT - RELAX AND ENJOY IT!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Alternaitve to Irons?, use a 5-wood and shorten your swing! I'm so funny, I kill myself!!!

Enjoy your cruise and remember, none of us have an iron so a few wrinkles are normal. The ship has good ironing service and it's about the price I see in town.

Den

This was GREAT!!

Archived