Coral best viewing - Canal Transit

mattyboy

All I know is that there are secret doors. but I don't remember what decks. I have seen some other posts re your question. See you onboard at the meet and greet

Summer's almost here ...we can now see the deer moving around in our back yard.

Yep, won't be long till our cruise!

501484442_Snowdeer2.jpg.4b7c3e3070d7650d73f2b3cf44ed7089.jpg

We were on the Coral a few yrs. ago & did the Panama Canal. We had a cabin way forward, I think on Baja & they opened the doors over the bow for the entire day... Just try some of the upper decks when you approach the canal for a great view.

Yes, these decks get crowded... There must have been 10 or 12 of us out there... I also believe that Baja had the "secret deck" off the stern with a few lounges. We enjoyed that one everyday. Again, really crowded. More lounges than folks that knew about it... Have a GREAT trip!

Forward or aft on decks 10 and 11. I think 12 as well but I don't remember. You walk through one door that looks forbidding, then down a short corridor to another door that leads onto the deck. You can also view from the buffet, which is forward on the Coral and Island, not aft like the other larger ships.

The time you will enter the canal will be announced in the patter the night before you arrive. Get up at least an hour before your expected start of transit. Put on lots of sun screen as the best views will be outside. As you approach the first set of locks go forward. Two guys will come out in a row boat directly in front of the ship to get the lines that will be attached to the electric mules. Stay at the front while the first lock opens and the ship enters the lock. Watch the mules do their work. Then during the transit walk throughout the ship as the views from the different decks and positions are so interesting. I liked going to a low deck and waiting while the ship was lifted. I also liked being on the top deck to see what was coming next. The rear deck is also a good stop to watch the lock being closed behind you. If you get hungry go to the horizon court while you are in Lake Gatun. Then get ready to go outside for the transit through the Gaillard cut. Finally, if you have time read "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough before you leave. It really adds to the experience.

I was on the deck right above the Horizon Court. I had great views from there. Staff brought out extra chairs. I got there well before entering the first lock. Get there early. It does get a bit crowded. After going through the first set of locks, people start wandering away so it is less crowded.

We had lunch in the dining room as we were going through one of the locks - we had a window seat. It was really interesting to see the ship get into the lock and then descend. The walls were so close you felt as if you could reach out of the window and touch them! It was a different perspective.

We were also advised to put our camera in a poly bag and on the balcony the night before to ensure that it didn't get fogged up. Don't know whether this was really nessary(not being a photographer and not having a super expensive camera), but we got some really good shots of the Bridge of Americas as we approached it very (very) early in the morning and also throughout the day.

2 of our peeps went to the buffet (which is forward on this ship) and got the last of the forward large tables that was open by that time This was VERY early; 6am or so I believe. We had a great view forward and could stand, sit, eat, etc. Watch the locks open, fill, etc.

After we had gone through the second set of locks (which is very close the first set), we wandered around outside for the rest of the day.

Be sure to go on the promenade deck outside too for lots of photo opportunities. The crew will be on the ground taking photos of people on the outside decks.

All the way aft too is open decks and though small, provides a good view.

I thought Acapulco to Ft. Lauderdale was great and I'd do this itinerary again.

Baja and Caribe decks have great viewing at both the far front and the far back through doors at the end of each hall way. Dolphin is a good place to be when departing a lock on the way out because you get a very good view of how much the drop is when you go from looking over the lock to facing several feet of lock and concrete walls as the ship drops.

We did the full transit west to east, and here is what I'd advise everybody:

wake up as early as you can, approaching the canal in the dark, seeing all small boats' lights around you is an experience in itself!

the right side of the canal (the river part) is much more interesting - and yes, it IS a river, you won't be between 2 gray walls for long

it's OK to book tours, after Lake Gatun there is not much to see, and you are tired - so if you need a nap... :D

there is a short stop at the end of the canal, like 2 hours only, get off the ship, there will be local dances to watch, and the souvenirs are different from all other places

Here's some select views from my favorite viewing spots on the Coral Princess (we didn't go on the top decks at all that trip):

From the forward viewing balconies under the Bridge...

1987693625_3420455ce2_z.jpg

Panama Canal 046 by RickEk, on Flickr

1989471494_4caee40629_z.jpg

Panama Canal 163 by RickEk, on Flickr

From the aft viewing balconies...

1996334700_08d9d8ee8b_z.jpg

Panama Canal2 058 by RickEk, on Flickr

1995116839_e2e12fd937_z.jpg

Panama Canal2 010 by RickEk, on Flickr

And from the Promenade deck...

2091707769_ea5b79f31b_z.jpg?zz=1

Panama Canal3 042 by RickEk, on Flickr